Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I meant was can I take my new sim from the new phone and shove it in my old phone, thus keeping the old phone but with the new contract sim? Thus I have a brand new phone to offload on Ebay!

Comment

Oh I see! It all depends on whether your old phone is tied to a network, in which case it may not work. Maybe try a friends sim that's on the same network as the one you are going to get and see if that works in your old phone. Good plab though if it works

Comment

I'm in a right quandary at the moment. I'm due for an upgrade and need to be able to access the Internet on the go.

Can't decided between the iPhone and the Blackberry Bold.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
          I'm in a right quandary at the moment. I'm due for an upgrade and need to be able to access the Internet on the go.

do you need the physical qwerty keypad? and good internet or full touchscreen but better internet?

Comment

Anyone used a G1 much? missus is thinking of getting one after trying a pals, read the battery life is pretty shocking, much else to worry about apart from that?

Thanks.

EDIT: I was too slow, don't worry about that, she's bought a SE 910i instead. Women. Say no more.
            Last edited by VR46; 02-03-2009, 11:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101

The iPhone is superior for browsing the internet - the Bold's browser is pretty slow at actually loading pages, even though it can download them quickly in 3G. It's also a little laborious navigating them with the trackball.

However, the Bold creams the iPhone for anything messaging related - it's far, far superior for email and instant messaging, so it really comes down to what you mean by 'access the internet'.

Comment

It would be browsing internet websites and a little bit of keeping up with emails when on the go.

I've seen the browser speed comparisons online and the iPhone does appear to leave the Bold trailing by quite a margin. That's what's swaying me towards it but what puts me off big time is that I absolutely HATE iTunes with a passion.

Is it the actually Bold that makes it so slow or just the Blackberry browser? Would using something like Bolt or even Firefox (whenever the mobile version of that gets released) make a difference?

Not sure how I'd get on with the iPhones touch screen pad either, as I was horrifically put off touch screen pads when I tried the Blackberry Storm. I know they're probably miles apart in terms of quality but that's put me off somewhat. So the QWERTY keyboard makes the Bold stand out in that respects.

In terms of the contract there's nothing between the plan I'm on to differentiate between the two, so I might have to see if the shop will let me trail / play with them to see which I prefer.

Comment

The Bold is powerful, the browser software is just pretty slow. It's based on the browsers found in previous Blackberries, which were all designed for EDGE connections anyway. Something like Opera might give better performance, I don't know. The Storm is a terrible device, I wouldn't judge anything by the keyboard on that, it's friggin useless. I could definitely type faster and more reliably on my old Curve's keyboard than I can on my iPhone, but the kb is pretty good once you get used to it, and it has fairly worthwhile error correction too.

Unless you want to use your iPhone as an iPod too, you can get around iTunes with a subscription to MobileMe. It pushes your calendars, contacts and email all over the air back and forth between your iPhone and your computer automatically, so you don't have to hook it up to sync. It's great, but it probably isn't worth the ~£60 a year if you don't use a Mac. Otherwise, iTunes is necessary. Why do you hate it so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                    The Storm is a terrible device, I wouldn't judge anything by the keyboard on that, it's friggin useless.
                    That was my impression of it too - it went something like:

"Tap...*nothing* tap...*nothing* tap tap *nothing*... TAAAAAP!!!!!"

Dunno if it was a duff unit but the sensitivity on it was terrible. It wouldn't register a thing and navigating on it was a nightmare because of it.

Why do you hate it so much?
                    I just can't get to grips with it at all. I hate the way it grabs the wrong album art, I've had problems with syncing iPods where it suddenly decides to remove stuff (like album art or even whole songs). It's too fiddly and temperamental for me and was waaay too system intensive for the system I was using it on. I just like being able to drag and drop stuff from folders and away to go.

Comment

Anyone else got a Nokia 5800 which they cant connect to their home WLAN? I have had mine a week and cant get it to connect to my Linksys WRT54GS router. Nokias forums are full of people having similar issues (No Gateway reply). I have updated firmware, checked settings etc etc.

It connects fine at the Mcdonalds free Wireless point in town.

After a bit more searching it seems the WRT54GS firmware may be to blame, time to roll it back and have another go.
                      Last edited by Typhoon Thompson; 02-03-2009, 18:57.

Comment

Tested an iPhone today (couldn't get a live demo of a Bold) and the touch screen thing is a non-issue now. The iPhones virtual pad and touch screen is so responsive that I was pretty impressive - God knows what Blackberry were thinking if they thought that non-responsive pile called the Storm was going to compete with it.

Unfortunately that's not helped me in trying to make a decision. I've seen footage of a Bold using Bolt and it seems much, much faster than the Blackberry Browser. How it holds up against the iPhones speed is anyone guess but I doubt there'd be that much in it.

Looks like my hatred for iTunes might be the only major stumbling block left.

Comment

Thing which bothers me about the iPhone the most is the lieing marketing. When they first showed how it was "so much faster" than the Nokia N95 they were using the National Geographic web page. Only one thing they forgot to mention, the iPhone doesn't support Flash, whereas the N95 does. So it only looked faster because it dumped the significant amount of Flash content the site used at the time.

Comment

While that is a bull**** marketing technique, Mobile Safari is vastly better than the slow and aging Series 60 browser built into the N95.

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                              While that is a bull**** marketing technique, Mobile Safari is vastly better than the slow and aging Series 60 browser built into the N95.
                              Using iPhone safari on wireless is almost as quick as on a mac, quite impressive id say for such a teeny device.

Comment

Mmm. It's good but it's not really as good as on a Mac, the iPhone can't render websites nearly as quickly as new devices like Palm's Pre. Start scrolling quickly and you're looking at a chequerboard.

Mobile Safari was a massively impressive browser 18 months ago when it was introduced, but it's beginning to be surpassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X