Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks very promising! Certainly the best UI ive seen from a Windows phone. Not perfect but certainly appealing for the most part. Also, its nice to see a smooth touchscreen that isn't an iPhone. Ive used 3 different Android HTC phones recently and they all felt laggy (I don't know if laggy is the right word but I can't really describe what I mean) even compared to my 1st gen iPod touch, let alone the iPhones.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris View Post
      Looks very promising! Certainly the best UI ive seen from a Windows phone. Not perfect but certainly appealing for the most part. Also, its nice to see a smooth touchscreen that isn't an iPhone. Ive used 3 different Android HTC phones recently and they all felt laggy (I don't know if laggy is the right word but I can't really describe what I mean) even compared to my 1st gen iPod touch, let alone the iPhones.
      Strange I've got two ipod touches in the house a gen 2 one and a new one and I can't tell the difference between the touch and my HTC desire. im very picky with touch screen phones too as I've had a play with quite few others recently and most are horrible.
      Last edited by Lebowski; 07-10-2010, 08:13.

Comment

I've not used the Desire 3 of my friends have HTC phones - a Hero, Magic and something else that I don't even know what it is (it's less than 6 months old but i know it's not the Desire) and they all move weird to me Good to hear the Desire is up to scratch though, the Desire HD may well tempt me if it comes out before the white iPhone 4's....

Comment

Quick question for Blackberry users, if there are any:

Still undecided which one to go for through my vodafone upgrade, but as a new user of Blackberry is it worth me going straight for the flagship model or taking out their entry level? I can pay 20 quid as a handset price and get the 8250 on my current 15 quid per month contract for a year, or I can take out the 9700 handset for 40 quid over a 2 year contract. If I want Blackberry's email service + internet browsing it's another 10 quid a month, presumably as a bolt on which I can use and take off as of when I need to (which I can do without in my current situation).

I know most people will say if I'm not going to use the Blackberry for internet and email then there's probably not an awful lot of point me going for it. Out of the available phones on my upgrade list however, they strike me as the best for call quality and texting thanks to their keypads, which right now is pretty much all I'm after in a mobile.

Comment

If you're only after the decent keyboard, reasonably pleasant screen/UI etc, I'd say just get the 8250. The 9700 doesn't represent a huge upgrade and you won't be on the cutting edge anyway as BB OS 6.0 devices are coming later in the year - the 9700 replacement will have a touchscreen and a slide out keyboard.

But if you're not a massive tech whore like me then £20 to get the 8250 and to stick with your current amazing contract is well worth it. £15 a month? 12 months? Is this 2002?!

Comment

Thing is, I probably would be interested in adding a data package to the contract at some stage - don't want to be stuck with the entry level blackberry then as with it's seemingly lesser screen and lack of 3G would make internet browsing and emailing a far less appealing prospect. Plus, the slide out keypad of the replacement model doesn't sound like a good idea to me - it would most likely be extremely difficult, maybe even impossible to create a protective case for

That said, if I were to opt for the 8250 on my current 12 month contract, there would be far less time before my next upgrade would be due.

As for my contract, sim only deals tend to be extremely generous - I highly recommend checking them out!

Comment

Nah I'll just have fun paying off my heinously expensive iPhone plan for the next 17 months

Comment

Just put plugged a Vodafone Suresignal 3G box into my router. Pretty awesome tbh. Really low signal quality at my place. Now crystal clear. £50 one off fee.

Comment

Anyone else ever consider dropping out of the mobile phone arms race? I think my next phone might be a basic call and text, PAYG number. I like the features of a smartphone but I don't use them that much to be really worth the cash. Still got a while to think about it though.

Comment

LOL. I'm not in the arms race yet. My phone does calls and texts (and some other things apparantly) and is small and light enough to disappear in my pocket. It was the cheapest I could get with bluetooth for contact sync to PC. £10 actual cost. Free with a £10 upgrade I had with Virgin.

The only thing I really want is GPS for mountain biking to save getting a separate unit. Might be better of with separate though.

Having set up that Vodafone suresignal, I was getting excited about perhaps switching to vodafone (none of the networks provide decent enough signal inside my house). Woke up yesterday and it's totally not functioning. Checked forums and loads of other people with the same problem and vodafone have no idea why as far as I can tell. Money back please.

Comment

To me a 3G web browser is invaluable. Only use it occasionally, maybe twice a month but it's so incredibly useful just having the option.

That said, there are increasing numbers of cheaper smartphones now.

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
                          Anyone else ever consider dropping out of the mobile phone arms race? I think my next phone might be a basic call and text, PAYG number. I like the features of a smartphone but I don't use them that much to be really worth the cash. Still got a while to think about it though.
                          I stayed out of it for years. I didn't own a phone at all until a couple of years ago. It was only with the introduction of smart phones that it made sense to me. Being able to do things like listen to music, check train times, play games, check my emails (home and work), read the papers, manage my to-do list, find directions, check items on Ebay and make calls all from one device is a God send.

When I leave the house, I take my keys, my wallet and my phone. I don't need anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Just put plugged a Vodafone Suresignal 3G box into my router. Pretty awesome tbh. Really low signal quality at my place. Now crystal clear. £50 one off fee.

Vodafone Sure Signal = Useless heap of ****e. Hasn't stayed up for more than a few hours and when it goes down, it doesn't come back up on its own. Vodafone forums are awash with people with problems and no solutions. Avoid.

I'll be sending mine back in the 7 day cool off, but apparantly those who have had theirs for a while are finding it almost impossible to get a refund. If they pull any of that on me, I'll be reviewing it on the homepage..... edit: they took it back, no problem.
                            Last edited by charlesr; 23-09-2010, 18:44.

Comment

Anybody getting the desire hd or desire z next month?

Comment

I am quite tempted by the Desire HD, I wonder if it will be able to play Divx files like the Samsung Galaxy S... (and my N900)

I've been a long time Nokia user, apart from one year when I niavely got suckered into getting the BB Storm, that was sooo bad I went and bought a simfree N85 and sold my nth replaced BB Storm...

I think HTC have been a bit stingy with the onboard memory though 1.5Gb when the N95 8Gb was released in 2007...

I have used 17 Gb on my N900, even with some juggling would "need" a 16Gb card, have HTC stated the size of the card it comes with if any?

I hope it comes with at least a 8Gb one

Comment

Working...
                                X