No announcement yet.

Watches:What are you wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my white Ziiiro Orbit as pictured above. Wore it out last few days and got a fair few comments on it already. It is pretty nifty. Really light and comfortable too, you hardly notice you are wearing it. Only downside is that it's not visible in poor light very well.

Comment

Looking at getting a Rado for the good lady. Any thoughts on them in terms of quality? Are they really scratch resistant?

Personally I fancy a Meister Singer one handed watch but have actually yet to see one anywhere to try them on.

Comment

I'm in the market for a new kettle. I'm going to go for either a Rolex Explorer or a Cartier Tank.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Around ?3000 for a watch?!

There's the crazy J0e I love! You've not posted any of your sillymoney expenditures recently and I've missed it.

For ?3K, that watch had better have some Bond-style gadgets like a laser or saw or magnet!

Comment

Hopefully a chick magnet.
            Or a fishing line and hook for that impromptuness.

Comment

Built-in grappling hook and ascent line FTW.

Comment

Hello watch aficionados!

I'm in the market for a new watch, my first Swissie at that. I've been looking long and hard for years and have come down to two that I really like the look and sound of:

If I had to listen to my heart, I would go with the Seamaster - it's a modern take on a classic design and I simply love the provenance of Omega.

If I had to listen to my head, I'd go for the Tag. Very understated design for a Tag (intentional choice) but I'm a bit concerned about the parent company being the same folks that own Louis Vuitton. Owners of modern day Tag Heuers, what have your experiences been with them?

What are the servicing costs likely to be on the Omega and the Tag Heuer? Any reasons anybody can think of not to get either of the above? I'm guessing depreciation will be faster with the Tag, but I'm not really in it to make a quick quid and I'd be happy if either retained at least half their original value after the first 1-2 years.

Comment

I had two Tags back to back (Kiriums) and if I remember right the services came in at around ?90. I had an Omega planet ocean chrono, but didn't keep it long enough for it to need a service, so couldn't give you any info on that one.

Comment

Build quality on tag is fine, however side by side with an omega, you'll see where the extra money went quality wise. Depreciation would be much greater on the tag too. Service on the seamaster will be at least a couple of hundred quid but that's only every five years or so. When your spending that much on a watch you would definatley always get the one you really want- ie the seamaster. If you can afford it, you'll never regret it.

Comment

I've always said I'd rather turn gay than purchase a Swatch... and purchasing a Swatch is exactly what I did today...

I thought it looked a little steampunk so I bought it on those grounds, and it might go ok with the two or three brown shirts I have. There goes my sob story of not owning a watch because I can't afford the one I want.

It's not quite as steampunk as this beauty...

Last edited by dataDave; 30-12-2011, 19:42.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions, gents. I sat down in a jeweller yesterday with the Aquaracer and the Planet Ocean side by side and the sales assistant could tell I was torn between the two. The other half was with me and is normally incredibly undecisvive, but had a moment of clarity and said that in all the years she's known me, the Planet Ocean has been the one I've lusted over and that I'd simpy be delaying the eventual purchase by getting the Tag. I've seen the price go up by at least ?1000 in the last 5 years so it made sense to simply get it now. I ended up leaving a happy chappy with this on my wrist:

The weight is immense and as SuperDanX said, you can definitely tell where the additional costs have gone (simply love the embossed(?) seamonster on the watch back) and the movement is simply gorgeous. I've definitely made the right choice and should now hopefully be the last watch I ever buy!

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
                          hopefully be the last watch I ever buy!
                          No chance, once you get the bug you'll looking at your next purchase. Head over to TZ and have a browse

How much did you get it for, if you don't mind me asking? I managed about a 20% discount on list price last year when I got my PO.
                          Last edited by smokedog; 31-12-2011, 13:44.

Comment

Lovely, you made the right choice. Enjoy it.

Originally posted by Taka View Post
                            Thanks for the opinions, gents. I sat down in a jeweller yesterday with the Aquaracer and the Planet Ocean side by side and the sales assistant could tell I was torn between the two. The other half was with me and is normally incredibly undecisvive, but had a moment of clarity and said that in all the years she's known me, the Planet Ocean has been the one I've lusted over and that I'd simpy be delaying the eventual purchase by getting the Tag. I've seen the price go up by at least ?1000 in the last 5 years so it made sense to simply get it now. I ended up leaving a happy chappy with this on my wrist:

The weight is immense and as SuperDanX said, you can definitely tell where the additional costs have gone (simply love the embossed(?) seamonster on the watch back) and the movement is simply gorgeous. I've definitely made the right choice and should now hopefully be the last watch I ever buy!

Comment

Originally posted by smokedog View Post
                              No chance, once you get the bug you'll looking at your next purchase. Head over to TZ and have a browse

How much did you get it for, if you don't mind me asking? I managed about a 20% discount on list price last year when I got my PO.
                              Everybody keeps saying that I'll continue the watch habit - I guess this'll be my last Swissie but will probably continue to indulge in G-Shocks...

I put down ?1250 as a deposit with Goldsmiths, the cost of the Tag in cash, and I took them up on their interest free option for 12 months, total of ?2,800 all in. No chance of a discount due to the financing but I'm cool with that given the circumstances.

Comment

I was looking at a Ulysse Nardin Freak II today... (through the window that is, I didn't have the balls to walk in)

Is there anywhere reputable that does nice replicas? I wouldn't mind paying a couple of ton for a nice fake. It'd beat jizzing out 18 months salary for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                                X