Watches:What are you wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
    Maybe I'm a watch philistine, but I really don't understand these watches that cost several thousand pounds. What makes them so much better than a watch that costs a few hundred pounds?
    Generically, materials, labour (often more stuff done by hand, and more care taken to make even largely invisible parts of the movement appear well crafted to the eye), and (by no means least) brand. The strength of the Swiss franc hasn't helped either.

Omega prices have also shot up recently due to a desire by the Swatch group to reposition the brand.

Comment

only got my 2010 aquaracer out of my 5 tag's left and i will be keeping that bad boy

when i leave the service im going to invest in an Omega or a Breitling

at the time depends on which one takes my fancy

Comment

Hard choice for some that. I'd have an Omega over a Breitling every time though.

My favourite piece ever is an Omega Speedmaster Reduced 3539.50.00. Short production run, and automatic movement. Some say it's not as good as the Pro, but I prefer it. Gone up in value by about ?500 in the past 3 years too.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Are these like sports cars, but for your arm?

Comment

They are for telling the time and sometimes the date. I'm not a big fan of these newer giant-cased watches like what you would see rappers wearing. All of my pieces are quite understated.

Sure, there's a certain element of one-upmanship amongst wearers, but it's no different to anything else that people buy in my experience. I work in the City so I frequently see chaps with ?50k plus models, who you can tell they have just bought it because of how much it was. I just like the workmanship myself.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I assume these people have them insured?

Comment

Oh for sure. I have all of mine insured, even the lowly ?800 models.

I house them in this watch winder:

contentimage-Kadloo-Panamerica-6.gif

?1300, but they are an absolute must for any serious watch wearer. Letting a watch run out of "wind" is a serious watch health risk.
                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 29-06-2012, 20:31.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Is this a wind up?

Comment

I have a Winnie the pooh one AND a super Mario one, oh yes! Jealous?

Comment

This is what I'm currently sporting:

An iPod Nano with a wristband. Handy little thing as it has music, podcasts and even a fitness tracker built in.

Comment

Oh what's that? I like it :-) I have the indestructible white fossil watch as I tend to break them after about 2 months

I brought this for someone it does everything it's the Timex Expedition watch and I loved it so much I wanted to keep it

Last edited by dazzling_bubble; 30-06-2012, 22:40.

Comment

After years of faithful service from moshpits to the depths of the ocean, my G-Shock's battery has finally died.

Can I change the battery myself or will that stop it from being water tight?

Are there any good places that do a reasonably priced service if it's best to let professionals do it?

Comment

Phone Casio's UK rep. They will take payment over the phone and give you the address to send it to. Should be ~?20
                            I've done mine a couple of times (I've had it since 1999 I think).
                            Last edited by charlesr; 01-08-2012, 16:47.

Comment

had mine done by normal watch repairers...maybe got lucky with the old experienced guy but never had a problem with it after in 3 years of the same sort of use you have put it through!

need a new one anyway now tho the body of the watch has changed colour and looks odd with the metal strap.

Comment

Thanks boys. I'll speak to Casio first and find a local jewellers to see if they do it.

In the mean time, how about an HD3 Slyde?

Comment

Working...
                                X