Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!

Comment

Have ordered a strap for it - it's a little bit scratched up and the paint on the debossed text has long disappeared, but all the functions still seem to work along with the beep. Highly doubt it's still waterproof to 200 metres any more though.

Comment

And it's HD!

Comment

I bought this chinese 'homage' to the Tag 1887 calibre Space-x 50th anniversary on aliexpress. The ad showed absolutely no logos but when it arrived it was completely branded.
          Not bad for about 1/200th of the price

Comment

But would you wear it now that it has turned up branded?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Have ordered a strap for it - it's a little bit scratched up and the paint on the debossed text has long disappeared, but all the functions still seem to work along with the beep. Highly doubt it's still waterproof to 200 metres any more though.
              Yeah, I'll say that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                But would you wear it now that it has turned up branded?
                Nah. It is a 50th anniversary that shows 1962-2013

Comment

I found another box of watches I thought I'd lost - been looking for the Kenneth Cole watch, although it looks smaller than I remembered.

Comment

Can someone impart a bit of advice please? I'm considering trying to save some cash in order to buy a 'luxury' watch. I have done a bit of research on what I do and don't like, and I ended up with the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887.

The reason for the purchase is twofold. One, I would like to own a luxury watch, and two, and this being the most important point, I want to pass it onto my son at some point in the distant future, with the premise of he can always sell it, if he needs a fair bit of cash towards a car, or the like. With this rather large financial outlay, I would like to think that any depreciation in value is not going to be too horrific over the course of time.

Bearing in mind what we know today, how does this particular model/line hold up with regards to retaining its value?

I have attached a link below, to the said watch ...

Thanks for any insight.

Comment

Not sure I would be buying a Tag as an investment, a Rolex will be worth more than you paid for it in a few years time, they always are.

I would gamble on a nice Tudor doing better than a Tag and a bit different.

Comment

The Tag does at least have a custom movement albeit one based on a Seiko movement whereas the majority of mass market Swiss watches have a variant of an ETA movement (Swatch owned) or a Valjoux. If I was looking to buy as an investment I would be looking at something older that has already depreciated.
                        They won't have the cachet at the moment but you'll get a significantly better watch for your money from a high-end China made one e.g. Seagull or a Japanese Grand Seiko.

Comment

I have never lost any money on a Rolex, bought my Sub date for ?2850 a few years back, 2004 I think it was, and sold it last year for ?3400.

Not saying buy a sub, but if you want something that is guaranteed to appreciate, you can't go wrong with a Rolex, they sell quickly too.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's views. I've still got away to go saving wise, so I have plenty of time (no pun intended) to do more research before making a purchase.

Comment

J
                              Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                              Can someone impart a bit of advice please? I'm considering trying to save some cash in order to buy a 'luxury' watch. I have done a bit of research on what I do and don't like, and I ended up with the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887.

The reason for the purchase is twofold. One, I would like to own a luxury watch, and two, and this being the most important point, I want to pass it onto my son at some point in the distant future, with the premise of he can always sell it, if he needs a fair bit of cash towards a car, or the like. With this rather large financial outlay, I would like to think that any depreciation in value is not going to be too horrific over the course of time.

Bearing in mind what we know today, how does this particular model/line hold up with regards to retaining its value?

I have attached a link below, to the said watch ...

Thanks for any insight.
                              Tags generally sell 2nd hand for half their retail price

I've owned a few and bought them as stated, when I sold them on I never really lost anything

But I've done the same as yourself, I bought two omegas and will pass one onto my son and one onto my daughter - not bothered about resale price and if they sell them so be it, but just a little thing from me when they finish higher education (daughter is 4 and my son is 2)

Comment

I found another mechanical I like and I'm really pleased with the minimalist look.

Comment

Working...
                                X