Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaol View Post

Barclaycard call centres are a joke.
    what would Boff say???

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
      Got a phishing email perporting to be from abbey national, riddled with spelling errors, but watch out for it, i dont even bank at the abbey doh!
      these ****ers keep spamming me now had about 4 more since this^ idiots!

Comment

Brace yourself because once they get hold of your address, and if whoever you've got your email address with isn't very good, then you can expect tonnes of it.

Gmail is pretty good at filtering out the crap and when I last checked my Spam folder it was up to 66 bank phising emails in a week!

If you've had your card details nicked you can pretty much expect any associated email address to be passed around the scammers too.

Comment

I love the bank emails, especially as I haven't actually had any pretending to be from my actual bank, it's always other random banks! And I love how they do things like 'Acc0unt n0tification'

It begs the question as to why they'd bother doing that. There must be a reason for it. They're not dumbos. And I'm sure if people didn't actually click such ridiculous phishing emails they'd definitely plump up the cash for proper English lessons if only to help their cause!

I bet they don't bother going after these people unless something actually happened. With my Paypal problem, the sellers involved hadn't sent anything out so weren't out of pocket. Maybe if they'd sent the items then it'd be a different story, but even then I bet these banks just ignore it as it probably costs more to hunt down some guy in Bradford than the actual amount he's nicked.

My favourite is an email from a mate I got yesterday with 'Hello!' in the subject. It's probably a genuine email but I deleted it anyway without looking. I'll get him to resend it with a better subject if it really was him

Comment

You got an email from a friend with the subject 'Hello!', so you deleted it. That makes no sense.

Comment

Oh sorry I didn't explain. Basically there was a spam thing I've seen over the past few years from people that had 'hello' in the subject title and when you clicked it it had a paragraph about some electronics site with good deals. The people who were affected would have that email sent from their Hotmail account and also I think most reported their entire contacts lists being deleted also. I'm not sure if it was tied into those silly block checking sites, but it most likely involved people entering their email address/password on some dodgy site or other.

I have very little patience with this sort of stuff, and I assumed it was a similar thing here.

Comment

Almost all my nearest and dearest head their e-mails 'Hello' when contacting me. I would have thought it was amongst the commonest headers and that's why a phisher or spammer uses it.

Comment

I've never had one before or since then with just a hello myself. Maybe I hang around the wrong types of people, as usually they head their emails 'fwd fwd fwd fwd fwd check this out!'

Comment

UPTADE!

I was bored so decided to open the 'Hello!' email after all:

"Hello!
                    My friend,are you busy recently?I found a nice website,I think you will be interested in the products in it.So I am writing this letter to introduce it to you.This is a website about electronical products,and it has many kinds of products,such as laptops,cellphones,MP3,GPS,TV,camera and so on.The most important thing is that their price are so low,it is so economical.Please take some time to have a check ,there must be something you 'd like to purchase:

Hope you will have a good time in this website.

Regards"

I rest my case

Comment

Happened to me for the second time now (last time it happened about 2 yrs ago). Funny thing is that the first time it happened was with a Morgan Stanley card, who got brought by Goldfish, which is turn got brought by Barclaycard, and it is with that Barclaycard card that the omey has been taken!

Tried to order something online yesterday but it wouldn't accept my card. Logged into my account and saw two payments that I didn't reconginze, one for ?199 by a "Coporate Merch" and the other for ?245 by a "Landmarq Technology", both of which took place on the 27th of April. Rang them up and they've stopped the card and I should receive some paperwork to fill out in the next few days.

Since I only got the card at the beginning of this month and have used it in four places (Play.com, Zavvi, Dyson and softuk), the leak must of come from one of them. Considering I've brought from all those companies before except softuk, I'm a bit weary about it (esp. considering it took them a while to send a confirmation email), but no doubt it could be from any one for those four.

Comment

Mine is ex-Morgan Stanley too.

There's a thread on the moneysavingexpert forums about all these ex Goldfish/MS frauds.

Anyway I'm closing when mine is sorted. Not received any paperwork yet. Will use a provider that has all UK call centres in future.

Comment

Will have to take a look over at the MSE forums then, also quite surprised you haven't received any paperwork yet as when it happened to be last time must have got the paper in 2-3 working days max. I was actaully very happy with the service I got from Morgan Stanley, as it only took then about a month (max 6 weeks) for them to sort it after i reported it

EDIT: Found the thread, read through it and seems like a sad state of affairs However I did find some numbers that apparently put you through to UK call centers, so gonna wait till saturday to see if I get my papers otherwise gonna try one of those numbers.

BTW here are the numbers:
                          01604 614845
                          01642 382302
                          0800 0851721
                          Last edited by KIT786; 30-04-2009, 22:45.

Comment

Cheers for those numbers, the paperwork finally turned up .. took 9 days from first report.

Comment

Something very interesting and unexpected came through the post today. Its a letter addressed to "RAV - Netshop", but I noticed the stamp on the envelope was from "The Corporate Merchandise Co.", so I open it and find an invoice for £199.98 for a SAT Nav (Garmin nuvi 265T Europe) in my name, but the best bit is its got a delivery address in my name but a different address. For anyone who wants to know the address it is:

381 Hackney Road
                              London
                              E2 8PP

Now that I've got the address of the git what to you think I should do. Don't think its worth telling the police as unless the credit card company presses charges they can't do anything. Will be getting in touch with Barclays and see if they're interested, but might also have to pay the address a visit myself and see who this scum is.

Comment

The natural thing to do is firebomb the address

Comment

Working...
                                X