Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some little twunt has used my card details to pay for his car / bike insurance to the tune of £98.11. I called the company involved and they'd somehow managed to run the transaction despite being given an incorrect so-called 'security code'. I can't believe this ****.

EDIT - And would you believe it, I just checked back through the thread and it's almost two years to the day since I last had a card scammed
    Last edited by MattyD; 20-04-2009, 15:58.

Comment

Might not apply to you Matty but I read yesterday that a load of people have had their card details nicked after shopping online at the Forbidden Planet stores (both the co.uk and .com addresses despite them being different companies). May effect anyone who's placed an order with them in the last two years!

While it may not be the case that would certainly cover the two cards of mine that have been compromised.

A pain at the moment as I'm looking to buy some collectable stuff that's hard to get elsewhere but there's no way in hell I'm going near them in the foreseeable future.

Comment

That might explain something then. Two weeks ago I had my long standing credit card cancelled by my provider and a new one issued for reasons that were not in their database apparently (or so the gal on the phone looking at my records said). I've bought a few items from the online FB in the last year or so. So who knows... timing seems strangely about right as the card was cancelled a day or two after I was charged by them for a pre-order I'd made in January.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Someone did me for 3 grand last month.

80 quid on O2, 90 on something else and then 2800 on some University course or something.

Totally covered and the like, but still.

Going back to keep rolls of notes under my bed.

Comment

Don't suppose you know what course it was? Anyhow it was Comp Sci...

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
              Some little twunt has used my card details to pay for his car / bike insurance to the tune of ?98.11.
              Well, he's going to be hard to catch, isn't he?

Comment

Yes, if it's a fast car / bike.

Further to my post about Forbidden Planet yesterday, apparently it was only the .co.uk business that was effected by the fraudulent transactions, not the .com site.

Comment

These Brit geeks are tricky sorts! AVo1D!

Comment

Got a phishing email perporting to be from abbey national, riddled with spelling errors, but watch out for it, i dont even bank at the abbey doh!

Comment

My email is getting spammed sideways with bank phising these days.

Apparently I'm a member of every big name bank you care to think up and every single one of my accounts has a problem that I need address urgently by logging with a handily placed link.

Comment

Anyone had the Paypal one yet where it states the usual crap about your account being suspended and they require you to email a copy of your passport, both sides of your credit/debit card and a utility bill or bankstatement dated within the last 3mths to reinstate the account.

Odd thing with this one though is that it's actually addressed to me instead of the usual "Dear customer" and the email also includes my full name and address, their definately getting better at this scamming game.

Comment

I've had a PayPal one recently saying I've received a payment and need to accept it. Of course, if you log in via your own PP link and not the one in the email, there's nothing there

Originally posted by Strolls View Post
                          Well, he's going to be hard to catch, isn't he?
                          I did actually ask the guy on the phone from the insurance place whether they would pass this person's details on to the police and he was all like "Um, well, we'll 'deal with it' according to our procedures".

I do wonder if the police bother chasing up these people even if they are notified.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                            Anyone had the Paypal one yet where it states the usual crap about your account being suspended and they require you to email a copy of your passport, both sides of your credit/debit card and a utility bill or bankstatement dated within the last 3mths to reinstate the account.

Odd thing with this one though is that it's actually addressed to me instead of the usual "Dear customer" and the email also includes my full name and address, their definately getting better at this scamming game.
                            When my paypal account got hacked and some retard nabbed 260 notes out of it, paypal flagged it up as suspicious and limited the account access. After getting the problem sorted thanks to a helpful Scottish bloke on the phone, I got an email saying those near exact things; that I'd have to do this and that to get full access again. I totally ignored it because I never intend to use paypal again, and eventually the account just seemed to get closed down becuase i refused to send them anything.

So, have the scammers copied the exact words from a genuine request by paypal in certain situations? Or was I sitting on a coincidental scam email the whole time, only rescued by my obstinacy?

Comment

Add me to the list.

?700 at o2-online nabbed of my Barclaycard. Managed to spot it whilst pending but hell knows if they'll stop it in time.

Dunno how they managed to order stuff to a different address on that site though.

Barclaycard call centres are a joke. Wouldn't even have one if they hadn't bought out Goldfish.

Comment

Sorry to hear you guys have been hit by these fraud A-holes...

I've got to admit I'm not nearly as careful as a I should be; portraying the soldier mentality of 'it won't happen to me' - but after reading this thread I'll be much more so. Cheeky buggers aren't they?... Losing the money would be gutting enough - but i think it'll be the mere principal of it that'll piss me off more then anything.
                                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                                X