Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you store your bank card details in your Paypal account?

Comment

I've got my two credit card details stored. That's ok, isn't it?

Comment

Way too risky that - a fraudsters paradise if you're Paypal account were to get hacked.

Comment

The CC frauds on both my cards at the same time that prompted my OP couldn't have been due to skimming or key-logging. The only places I had registered both card's details were Amazon UK and Paypal. I can't prove anything so enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
            Way too risky that - a fraudsters paradise if you're Paypal account were to get hacked.
            So if I want to carry on using Paypal to pay for stuff (eBay mainly), then I should only have my bank account details on there? Or should I delete those as well & just add funds every now & then?

I always thought Paypal was the most secure way to pay for goods online if I didn't want to enter credit card details on various sites.
            Last edited by The Glider; 02-08-2010, 12:03.

Comment

It's safer to enter you're bank/card details manually every time you proceed with a Paypal transaction, even if it can get a bit tedious. Same goes with any online transaction really.

Comment

Ah, I didn't realise that you could do that. I thought you entered your details & then they had to be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by The Glider
                  I always thought Paypal was the most secure way to pay for goods online if I didn't want to enter credit card details on various sites.
                  Paypal really isn't that secure, and the fact that tons of people have their credit card details just stored on there means that it's a massive target for hackers.

Comment

It's why I now only ever use one card online but, I should say this, it has been registered with Paypal and Amazon since the replacement cards were issued so that's something like 2 years now without a repeat, yet.

It's "upgrading" to a verified account linking my Paypal/eBay and bank account I've refused to do. As I don't sell on eBay this is no problem although I've been annoyed on several occasions at being prevented from bidding on stuff because of this.

Comment

I figured it'd happen to me sooner or later!

?65.41 charged to Amazon and I haven't oredered anything from them since August.

I used my card in a couple of places in Redhill on Tuesday so I'm guessing that's when some tosser got hold of my details and thought he'd do a little shopping.

So angry I can't see straight. I work bloody hard for my money and it repulses me that some little **** thinks he can help himself.

What's worse is that the Lloyds TSB Fraud Dispute (it's not a dispute, it's a fact someone has taken money from me) is only open normal office hours!!!

How long do these fraud investigations take? As far as I'm concerned I have proof (my Amazon account details) that I haven't ordered anything totalling that amount so surely it should be pretty quick, right?

Comment

Normally very quick.

Comment

I've found the banks to be helpful with these things, They even waved all the overdraft fees and stuff that occurred as a result of someone spending money I didn't have

Comment

It would be interesting to know what address Amazon sent the goods to. Also why, if you've used the same card on Amazon, which means it's registered with them, they didn't pick it up themselves as being unusual.

A bit worrying for Amazon users methinks.

Sorting the problems I had didn't take the bank (Barclays) that long at all. But I don't rely on my cards day to day so for somebody else I could well understand even the shortest of time without them being damned inconvenient.

Comment

I thought some of these companies(I'd expect Amazon to be one of them, seeing as they let you choose a delivery address at checkout) would let you use an alternative address if certain criteria are met. I've shopped with many sites that let you change the address provided you've had your first order sent to the billing address. To be honest, that sounds ludicrous when you think about it as it wouldn't prevent fraud if you've already shopped there!

What they should do is use some kind of confirmation, like a phone call, to confirm the details.

Comment

Hopefully sorted. Card cancelled, bank refunding the cash, I have to sign a form that says I'm not trying a crafty one.

Amazon can't tell me where the goods ordered are going but urged me to speak to the Police which I'll do tomorrow. They said the bank should have stopped it. It seems my card number was use to set up a new account registered with the dodgy bastards name - surely that can't happen if the card is truly registered to me.

Ah well, hopefully it won't happen again. I also hope whoever dis this chokes on their purchase!

Comment

Working...
                                X