Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from a two day driving holiday to Aso and Beppu near Oita. I had a fantastic time seeing and doing many things but more importantly to me I had a great time driving on the police free mountain roads. One such road is the Aso mountain pass. It's just like those roads the guys from Top Gear drive on through parts of Europe. Fantastic fun!!

Here I am parked in the only place I could find. See how the road twists? It's like this all the way down.

The above pictures were actually taken on the 2nd day. The first day looked like this!!

Yep, the fog was so thick, I couldn't see a thing plus it was raining heavily. That was sure one of the most nerve wrecking drives I'd ever done. Couldn't see anything with the rain hitting the windscreen and the thick fog. By the way, it was 2 in the afternoon when those pictures were taken. That should give you a better idea of how bad it was.

Many drivers take to the Aso mountain pass for some fun. I saw many cool Japanese cars such as Evos, Nissan GTRs, Imprezas and so on but I also got to see a Aston Martian Vantage and Maserati Quattroporte S go screaming past me in the opposite direction. However I did have the following car right up my arse for half an hour.

Very nice car but the driver was a right prick. Why he just didn't take over I don't know. I couldn't drive as fast as him because 1 my Impreza isn't that fast and 2 my wife and son were in the car at the time. By the way, that's my wife who has her face blacked out. She didn't want it on the net

Comment

Having said that I don't like any normal priced modern cars, I'm really liking the spiritual successor to the CR-X, the new CR-Z:

It's super slow though. The SiR CR-Xs were very quick.
      Last edited by charlesr; 15-08-2010, 19:52.

Comment

Oh man, look at this idiot this morning. Parked in the middle of the road outside the Mc Donald's drive through.

THe picture was taken after a good 30 seconds of blowing the horn. He was originally parked right in the center of the road. I couldn't pull out. I was not a happy man as were the 3 people stuck behind me. Some people really should be banned from driving

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

What would a Japanese person do? Do they have road rage over there? I dunno why, but I can only picture anyone else in your situation bowing their head and sumimasening as they try to squeeze past...

As for the Ferrari guy, maybe he was breaking the mould, fed up of people begging him to rev the engine or zoom for them? Or better still, what if he was taking a photo of your car in front for his forum...

p.s. Mickey Mouse censorship rocks

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
            What would a Japanese person do? Do they have road rage over there? I dunno why, but I can only picture anyone else in your situation bowing their head and sumimasening as they try to squeeze past...
            It depends. Most people are just as blind as that guy when it comes to driving. Those that can drive would indeed blow their horns while the other no skill drivers would try to squeeze past resulting in either a big scratch or getting stuck. Seen it many times before. There's a great thread over at ASSEMblergames which talks about Japanese and their lack of movement skills. Not only with driving but also while out walking.

As for the Ferrari guy, maybe he was breaking the mould, fed up of people begging him to rev the engine or zoom for them?
            Or he was thinking "Hey I can beat this Impreza hands down" Which is true.

Or better still, what if he was taking a photo of your car in front for his forum...
            Haha, I can see it now. "Hey guys, I beat this slow Mutha F*cking Impreza on the Aso Mountain Pass. Man, what a pussy, he'd only drive up to 90mph." Or in my point of view, I know the limits of my car on a mountain road. It may be a very cool and solid rally car but when it comes to grip on a mountain road I'm not taking any chances

Oh yes, Mickey Mouse censorship does indeed rock

Comment

Yakumo that touge road looks so good. You're a lucky guy gettin the chance to drive that.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                Yakumo that touge road looks so good. You're a lucky guy gettin the chance to drive that.
                Tell me about it. I never knew there was something so good to drive on in this section of Japan. Talking about driving, an all new video that I filmed yesterday afternoon is now up on YouTube in anything from 240p to 1080p, NICE!

This relaxing drive in my Impreza STi ended up taking a very narror road up to the top of the highest mountain in Yamaguchi. Fantastic views but a nerve wrecking drive to the top.

Part 1 of this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVg2QyzXZcc

Part 2 of this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJTkE4Ivl80

Part 3 of this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2Byt16iV4

Yakumo

Comment

A very specific question about Paddle Shift Cars.

I've only ever driven a manual transmission car with a standard gear box and stick. I'm in the position whereby I'll be driving 2 new cars next week and both will possibly be paddle shift.

I'm aware that a normal paddle shift will comprise of 2 paddles left and right of the steering wheel. If the paddle is pulled towards me it will shift up or down. However, after that I'm lost! I've read that on some models, if both paddles are pulled up, the clutch and gear disengage and the car won't be pulling. I've also read that some paddle shift cars do have a clutch ( Possibly foot operated ) that's purely used when the car is stationary.

Does anyone have any tips for someone who's never used a Paddle shift before ( Bar Arcade F355 Challenge! ) and the basic operation of getting the car moving when stationary?

Comment

@Yakumo - those roads are awfully narrow, can't see what you can do if you encounter another car coming the other way... other than reverse all the way back down? Those ditches on the side don't help matters either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      A very specific question about Paddle Shift Cars.

I've only ever driven a manual transmission car with a standard gear box and stick. I'm in the position whereby I'll be driving 2 new cars next week and both will possibly be paddle shift.

I'm aware that a normal paddle shift will comprise of 2 paddles left and right of the steering wheel. If the paddle is pulled towards me it will shift up or down. However, after that I'm lost! I've read that on some models, if both paddles are pulled up, the clutch and gear disengage and the car won't be pulling. I've also read that some paddle shift cars do have a clutch ( Possibly foot operated ) that's purely used when the car is stationary.

Does anyone have any tips for someone who's never used a Paddle shift before ( Bar Arcade F355 Challenge! ) and the basic operation of getting the car moving when stationary?
                      My car has paddle shift (Citroen with a Sensodrive gearbox). It has no clutch and is basically like driving an automatic albeit you chose when to change gear.

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
                        My car has paddle shift (Citroen with a Sensodrive gearbox). It has no clutch and is basically like driving an automatic albeit you chose when to change gear.
                        Aside from a Gilera VX 125 Scooter I had when I was 17, I've not driven a automatic before. By the sounds of it, I should be alright!

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        This relaxing drive in my Impreza STi ended up taking a very narror road up to the top of the highest mountain in Yamaguchi. Fantastic views but a nerve wrecking drive to the top.
                        What a great set of videos, I would love the chance to drive around there. Do you drive that way to work or is it further away? It's odd how the mountain pass track in Forza 3, Fujimi Kaido, resembles the location where you've been driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                          What a great set of videos, I would love the chance to drive around there. Do you drive that way to work or is it further away? It's odd how the mountain pass track in Forza 3, Fujimi Kaido, resembles the location where you've been driving.
                          Nah, I work in Kyushu. One of the worst places for driving in Japan. They're all major arse holes!. The videos are taken in Yamaguchi where I live. I don't live in the sticks though. From my home it takes about 45 minutes to get there.

Hohum mentioned about the roads being narrow. Truth is that the roads are only wide enough for 1 car. There are pull in areas here and there but they are far and few between. Plus driving backwards is really scary due to the gradient of the road. It's quite steep so it's hard to see where the back wheels are.

Comment

@Wools:

I've got multitronic on my Audi couldn't be simpler. Right hand side shifts up and left hand side goes down. Hardly ever use them mind!

Comment

bloody cars, like women, ya can't live with em or without em!

had a problem with my clutch not working, a mechanic friend (who's now on hols) told me what i should do to fix it. the problem is i now can't even open the bonnet! the cars been sat there for a week unused now

its an old focus where you insert the key in the grill, turn 1 way to unlock then the other to release, and its just not working, tried spraying some wd-40 and leaving it with no luck, the last time i needed someone to come out to help me get into a car it was ?150 so don't wanna go down that route this time, so i'm asking the forum, any ideas anyone?

Comment

A can opener?

Comment

Working...
                                X