This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I love the 500 and I've been contemplating an Abarth for a good while now ... but pound for pound it simply won't deliver the thrills of my Type R. I'd love one but my sensible side keeps kicking in. And saving me thousands in the process
    Just got my insurance re-newal through the post the other day. Dropped by ?100 down to ?497
    If anyones seen my civic type-r in this thread they'll know it's far from standard and everything is declared to the insurance. I'm 30, no points and live in belfast. So you lot in England should be able to get insurance a fair bit cheaper.

Comment

Well, I'm back from the test drive and truly, in all honesty, all I can say is 'meh...'

I got to test drive a 56 Cooper S with 20K on the clock. Admittedly, when I first got in and moved off I thought the steering was nice & tight, a bit heavy, (though apparently from '07 onwards the steering is much lighter), but it responded well. Totally different from a Yaris obviously but it did feel very solid and sure. Once I got up to speed, it does has some guts in the engine and does shift fairly well when you floor it but not anywhere near as much as I was expecting from what people had told me. I think maybe this is due to the fact that it's the automatic version. Gear changes were very smooth but I did find that it occasionally took a little too long to change gear or would change gear at the wrong time, especially a pain on speed bumps. I really think the Cooper S is mainly a car with manual driving in mind and maybe think they should have left the Auto to the Cooper and One models. Power response was very good, with very minimal delay in the delivery when flooring it, but like I say, it just wasn't very impressive, there was no 'wow' factor at all. Braking on the other hand was impressive although I didn't dare perform an emergency stop to test them just in case the sales guy had a fit.

I found the visibility to be much better than expected, no problems with visibility in rear or side mirrors and is very easy to read the size of the car, so slipping into narrow gaps was not a problem at all.

It felt solid inside, more so than the Yaris, but it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. The trim obviously was nowhere near as refined as the newer models but still I find all the column stalks and buttons very unintuitive and would probably pee me right off after a short while. The dash is clear and nicely laid out but I still much prefer to have all that info directly in front of me, not to the left of my eyeline, but that's just me.

I couldn't find a good driving position and although yes, it does handle a bit 'go-kart' like and was quite fun to be so much closer to the floor, but from a pure comfort point of view for my day to day, 2 hour, 7 days a week South to North London journey it would of no use to me whatsoever. I couldn't imagine doing 500 mile weekend trip that I do once a month in the Mini, I'd need a zimmer frame at the other end after I'd finally managed to claw myself out of it! After 10 minutes I was beginning to feel tired already which was not a good sign. Maybe if I had more time I could have found the right position for me, but overall I just felt very closed in, almost restricted.

I wanted to like it, I wanted to love it, but it's just not for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad car, it was fun to drive, but for me, that would only be for short periods. I think it'd be a fantastic little car in Manual, for someone who likes going for a spin, nipping around town etc., but not for someone who would be using it as their main car, especially for commuting. I personally need something a little bigger with more comfort and room inside.

Obviously I'm not an authority on cars or their handling etc., but I know what I like and I know what works for me. So far still, my first car, a 52 Focus Zetec still wins on handling and feel and I miss it terribly, but had to downsize for financial reasons.

Now though, it looks like a race between the BMW 1 Series 118d Coupe, (which I should hopefully be test driving next week), the Mercedes CLC, the Ford Mondeo and the Audi A1 S-Line once I finally get to have a look at one in the flesh.

So, at least I now know that the Mini is out of the running. Nice little car, just not a Spooky car!

Sorry to have bored you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooky View Post
        Though, I'm worried, being 37, I'll probably be accused of suffering a mid-life crisis looking at these awesome hot-hatches etc.
        Missed that before else would have commented! When I got my Golf, a friend of mine (Female if that has any bearing) said to me 'Why did you want one of those? That's an old man's car!' - I'm 30

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I suppose!

Comment

Hey Friction,

So let me guess, if you were to go for one of the Fiat500 BlackJacks you posted a picture of, would she say, 'What do you want one of those for? You're too old...'

As you say, damned if you do, damned if you don't. My new other half was most upset when I told her how it went with the Mini. She was even more unimpressed when I told her I'll seriously be looking at the BMW 1 Coupe next weekend.

She then suggested I look at the Nissan Figaro... Cue tumbleweeds and wind through trees sound effects...

But remember, as I posted before, even though I'll be paying for the damn thing, it's 'OUR' car and therefore she 'HAS A SAY' in what it is colour etc.,

Funny how that works... Hmmm....

Anyone know if it works the other way round?!

Comment

If you liked the Focus, how about a Fiesta instead? I had a "New Fiesta" zetec (1.4td) and the handling was fantastic, as was the seating position. Gutless heap, but 50mpg.

Comment

I think you need to regain some authority there. I bought a car the other month and the wife didn't have any say in it, apart from "make sure you can fit our son in it, and all his stuff in the boot when we go on holiday". Other than that, she couldn't care less. And yes, she will be driving it from time to time

Comment

Hey Spooky,

Yeah that's about right, she'd probably say it was cute - too cute, and yeah I'd be too old. But then my also my brother would have stepped in and told me it was 'a girls car'

I quite like the Figaro, but I don't think I'd go for one myself!

How about the new Polo (sure I might have a leaning towards VW) they are quite a striking looking car, I always find myself looking at them when I see them. They are small too, but not too small (as big as some of the older Golfs I believe) - would think probably quite girl friendly too as a result - If you are used to a Yaris I would think it would be quite comparible?

Either way see if you can get a test drive - why not I say!

Comment

I think you'll find that most small-engined hatchbacks are going to have relatively naff automatic gearboxes unfortunately. Still think you should be looking at something like a Mondeo.

Comment

Alfa with a selespeed

Comment

Charlesr - Hey there! Honestly, I do like the new Fiesta, I think it's a fantastic design, but going to that from a Yaris won't make much difference I think and I've been told the auto boxes for the Fiesta aren't much cop, though as you say, they're supposed to be a fantastic drive. I know it's my fault being restricted to auto but the drive I do, manual would drive me nuts! I'm just after something with a bit more grunt and a bit more comfort, hence looking at the BMW 1 and Audi A1... And if I bought a Fiesta, I'd constantly be looking at it and mumbling to myself like some scary person that always seems to approach my car when I'm stopped at the traffic lights and saying, 'You're not a Focus... You're not a Focus...'

ChrisField - Don't worry, I'm damn sure I have the authority here... (looks over shoulder...)! Her only considerations are that it must have an Aux In so she can plug her iPod in and that she should be able to stretch out fully in the passenger seat with no restrictions, as she's annoyed with the Yaris because the seat doesn't go back far enough and her feet touch the footwell, so her knees are ever so slightly bent which is apparently an absolute and utter inconsiderate action of complete thoughtlessness by myself for not checking this ever so tiny but critical detail... Aah... the ladies... we do love them...

Friction - Yep, I like the Figaro too, probably because it looks so different to anything else on the road, but I could never have one, though I'd love to see the reactions of people when they heard a belting down the road with the windows open with hardcore techno and thrash metal screaming out of it to find it's a Figaro being driven by little 37 year old me!

Again, with the Polo, if I bought one I'd always approach it and hear a voice in my head saying something akin to... 'This is not the GTD you're looking for...' And then I would cry... and people would look and walk around me very briskly...

I think maybe I'll just have to test drive the GTD, why the hell not!

HoHum - Do you work for Ford perchance?! Damn you, damn you and your aggressive selling of the evil that is the Ford Mondeo! I had a look at the used ones on Ford's site and with 10k miles and only a year old they do seem really reasonable, so again, methinks test drives are in order, it's the only way I'm going to figure all this nonsense out.

Of course, I could just say sod it all, wait till next may and just by the Chevrolet Camaro and put 2 fingers up to everyone else on the road!

I must say you've all been very helpful with your suggestions... Making my car buying decision my own personal living hell... but very friendly and helpful all the same!

So, it's a BMW 1, Audi A1, Golf GTD, Ford Mondeo... Any more test drives for me to book?! At this rate I'll have to get a personal plate somehow of NTSC-UK in recognition of you all!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        Alfa with a selespeed
                        Right you! Stop it! Stop it now! If it's not bad enough I'd already looked at the new Alfa Giulietta and told myself, 'no, no, you don't need that... no, just because Uma Thurman is selling it to you does not mean you need it... Yes, she could sell you pretty much anything... Actually, no you're right... not that... dirty Spooky...'

....and now I'm looking at it again... grrr....

Comment

Originally posted by Spooky View Post
                          HoHum - Do you work for Ford perchance?! Damn you, damn you and your aggressive selling of the evil that is the Ford Mondeo! I had a look at the used ones on Ford's site and with 10k miles and only a year old they do seem really reasonable, so again, methinks test drives are in order, it's the only way I'm going to figure all this nonsense out.
                          The only reason I keep mentioning them is because you get a lot of car for your money, plus as they're so commonplace they can be found for very reasonable prices on the used market. Servicing/parts will be cheaper than those beamers and mercs you're looking at aswell. I'm not sure you're going to get a great deal on a year-old model, but if you look at around 05-06 you should be able to find plenty of fantastic examples for around 6k. Don't get hung up on mileage either, particularly if you're looking at a diesel - those lumps take thousands of miles with ease.

I would love an ST variant of Mondeo personally - out of the question at the moment as I don't earn enough, but would certainly consider one in the future. Looks great in blue with those twin exhausts. Don't think they come with an auto gearbox as an option though (well, the ST220 doesn't appear to anyway).

Comment

Well, don't worry, I've taken everything you've said on board and will definitely be taking a look at the Mondeo. I'd rather get something fairly new, so 1-2 years old is fine, but that's my limit. The other cars on my list I would buy new but the depreciation on a Ford is so high there's no point and seeing, as you say, how much car you can get for your money in the realm of Mondeos then it could well be a serious contender. I'd just have to find the right one for me.

Focus ST would only be a consideration once I take my Manual licence, which will be fun, deliberately trying to consciously not perform any of my learned bad habits under pressure!

It looks like my weekends really are going to be nothing more than test drive days, but I guess that's no bad thing.

My parents were always into Audi, but once their last one was written off by a council car removal truck driven by an idiot, they moved to Saab, which yes are very nice inside, but just not my type of car outside, and their handling is not too great either. They keep trying to push me into getting some old £7K Saab, but there's no way! I'd take the Mondeo any day over that... I also don't want to turn into my parents driving like loons whilst listening only to the aural nightmare of Radio 4...
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 21:35. Reason: Forgot something!

Comment

Well I finally had my drive in a Paddle Shift car last week and managed to keep it on the track!

I treated me and my brother to a driving day at Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands. He had a 1 hour driving lesson and I had a 1 hour AMG Driving Experience followed by 5 laps in a AMG SLS.

The first thing I noticed setting off in the AMG was how easy it is to drive a modern automatic with all electronic aids on. On roads and at medium pace, it was as easy as my twist and go scooter. After a few laps acclimatising to the car and the unique handling circuits, I had the Electronic aids tuned off and was given control over the paddle shift gearbox. When it was on automatic, the car would not change gear during quick throttle changes, would shake oddly during breaking zones and was able to turn into corners at hard angles. Now the throttle response was instant, I could lock my breaks if I pressed them, I could change gears the instant I wanted to and I would over steer the moment I pushed the throttle during a corner. Whereas on the automatic I was surprised by how easy it was to drive fast, the manual with aids off shocked me by how invested the driver has to be driving round a circuit and just how much more fun it is.

The hour flew by and just as I was getting started, I drove back to the building to hand the keys over to something even more shocking.

The AMG SLS is even more beautiful in the metal as it is in photographs. From the front it's just as imposing as you imagine it to but is surprisingly small when standing next to it from the side. With the gull wing doors open, I was immediately hit with a sense of dread about sitting in the cockpit but with the doors shut, I calmed down. Blipping the throttle reminded me of the Aston Martin DB9 but with less of the distinctive whine as the needle approached the red line. Through the widescreen windshield glass, the bonnet extends into the distance and makes the car feel longer than it really is. After a few laps around the short track, I was allowed onto the longer variant with all aids off and the paddle shift turned on. It was comparable to the AMG beforehand but the jump in speed was phenomenal with a lower driving position allowing for a different take on the same track. One of the overriding memories of the car was the terrifying acceleration down the main straight and the noise of the engine under breaking.

That was my first real experience of driving fast, track driving and experiencing a supercar and it surprised me by just how different it was to my expectations. I have loved Cars and Motorsport since I was a child and have always wanted to race but after experiencing the sheer power of a race car, it's made me glad I never do that as a day to day job. I loved the speed and glamour of the cars and circuits but driving in those conditions is just too much for me. To be able to accelerate at those speeds, break at those points and to be able to do it consistently lap after lap, is way beyond what I'm currently able to do.

Also being a big fan of racing videogames, whether it's Gran Turismo, Outrun or Ridge Racer, it's odd how detached even simulation based racing games are to their real life counterpart. I was able to play GT5 at Brooklands with the SLS at the Nurburgring before I got in the real SLS myself. Looking back at playing GT5, the steering wheel pulled me in the opposite direction when I got over or under steer, little sense of movement was being conveyed through the wheel and the sense of driving in the game is very clinical and cold compared to real track based driving.

Don't take this as slander to GT5 or Videogames in general, as I went back and played Forza 3 a few days later and I'm still hovering over the pre-order button for the Signature Edition of GT5 & a PS3! However, it was odd to experience a SLS on a track and then to suddenly feel how divorced from reality simulation based racing games are from driving a real car.

Either way, it was a brilliant day and a real pleasure and joy to drive a supercar on a track for the first time.

Comment

^ I really enjoyed the day last week. Amazing how much power there was in the AMG. It was also amazing how laid back the Mercedes driving instructor was.

Comment

Working...
                                X