No announcement yet.

Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another update, I have just booked my flight and will be heading out to Toronto on the 11th of June. Its a little later than I had hoped but it gives me more time to get everything sorted out here and try and arrange work before I arrive there.

I decided to go for Toronto as I have heard many good things about the place as I had heard about Vancouver, plus it seemed abit cheaper to live there and its also alot closer to the US and New York so that kind of swayed it for me Im really getting excited now but also nervous.

Comment

Yay! Go Ghost!

Congrats and good luck. Keep us in the loop.

Comment

One of my underlings from old Nova just moved back to Toronto and his girlfriend is moving out there in the summer too.
        Our flights to Calgary are booked for June 18th. I'm really not enjoying sending my videogame and manga collections out to Canada. My wallet hurts bad.

Comment

Well, we're here in Calgary now. We went to the Stampede last night.

And I'm stuck looking for a job *sigh*

Comment

i moved to Montreal nearly 11 months ago in a games development job and have to say that its pretty great although the winter was a complete shock to the system (as low as -30) and the summer is very hot so far (35 degrees after humidity a week back).

The holiday allowance was a shock to me when I first accepted my job but on the other hand its seems a bit more laid back at work and it doesn't seem as stressful as your equivalent UK job and my productivity is higher.

Comment

Its funny that this thread should pop back up......... On Friday last week, I decided to book my annual trip back to Canada lol......... I'll be goin back to my stomping ground of Toronto and Montreal to see friends and family. I'll be heading over in October, jus before Halloween. Never been in the Autumn before, ive tried all other seasons so figured I might as well give the Autumn a try.......

@ ekucz123 Nice to see someone in Montreal posting here lol.......... You don't happen to know what the weather is like during the autumn there do you? Oh and Ive noticed a lot of gaming companies setting up shop in Montreal, is it just a coincidence or is there some business reason? Better tax break or something lol.......?

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post

@ ekucz123 Nice to see someone in Montreal posting here lol.......... You don't happen to know what the weather is like during the autumn there do you? Oh and Ive noticed a lot of gaming companies setting up shop in Montreal, is it just a coincidence or is there some business reason? Better tax break or something lol.......?

Fall's not that bad, it starts getting a bit chilly near the end of November. In terms of games companies Quebec's Go'vt has good tax breaks for the Video games industry hence a lot of companies are setting up there. Outwith the big guys there's a lot of good experimental and indie game developers including Polytron the makers of Fez in Montreal not far from where I work (Ubisoft)- it was awesome when I played it a few weeks ago although I was a bit worse for wear- lol!

Comment

I figured it must be the tax thing lol...... I remember last winter when i was there,i went past SO many dev companies in the car, and wondered what it was all about.

Don't supose you could tell us what you are working on yourself?

Comment

Got my application into BUNAC today for the work programme next year. Just got to get police checks and fill in the application forms for my visa by the end of January and I'll hopefully be off next August. So excited!

Comment

We have 2-3cm of snow right now in Calgary and nothing else forecast for the weekend. Only -2 out so it's not so bad.
                      I still have ~5 months to wait for the initial decision on my permanent residence permit. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by pentarou View Post
                        Got my application into BUNAC today for the work programme next year. Just got to get police checks and fill in the application forms for my visa by the end of January and I'll hopefully be off next August. So excited!
                        I am also going to canada through bunac but am doing so this year flying towards the end of january. going to be starting in toronto but no firm plans as yet - really looking forward to it though. anyone else in that area?

Comment

Finally got my work authorisation through, just need to book some flights now to get it released. Will hopefully be off in the middle of August, excited but slightly terrified

Comment

If you're coming to anywhere outside of British Colombia you should invest in thermal everything. Below -20 C is a little chilly.

Comment

Finally got a work permit in June, then got my permanent residence finalised today.

Guess some Canadians want me to stay here, shame about that other one.

Comment

Working...
                              X