Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brats View Post
    Sorry it didn't work out, but was the lack of holiday a choice thing on your part or your situation, or is a lack of holiday a part of their culture (like a lot of websites and books say)?

Canada looks like a lovely place, but the lack of holiday puts me off.
    Choice, the job I had you could take holidays but you wont get more than 2 weeks a year holiday pay. Thats why most people only take 2 weeks off a year as if they take anymore they wont get paid for it.

Comment

Cheers.

Can you take much unpaid holiday? Say if I had two weeks paid holiday, but wanted to take six weeks off over the year, would that be okay provided I was happy to pay for it or would it be frowned upon?

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
        Cheers.

Can you take much unpaid holiday? Say if I had two weeks paid holiday, but wanted to take six weeks off over the year, would that be okay provided I was happy to pay for it or would it be frowned upon?
        I honestly cant answer that, it would depend on your employer, same as it would in the UK. All Im saying is that it isnt a cultural thing to only take 2 weeks holiday a year, just that its because you only get 2 weeks holiday pay minimum (for example for the job I worked the longer you were there the more holiday pay you got, maximum being 6 weeks I think if you had been working there for something like 10 years). So with that in mind I dont see how it would not be possible for you to take more than 2 weeks off a year. But as I said the only one who can answer that is your employer as Im sure the holiday policies are different with everyone.

Comment

Sorry to hear you couldn't get your work permit renewed. That's not much fun.

Comment

Went to give blood today ("It's in you to give" reads the Canadian Blood Service banner) to be told that they won't accept my blood as I was in UK during the whole "mad cow" nonsense. Shouldn't have been surprised at that, but it just didn't even cross my mind.

Still got some juice and biscuits beforehand though \o/

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              Still got some juice and biscuits beforehand though \o/
              Typical immigrants! Stealing juice and biscuits from the system!

Comment

Regarding visas a similar thing happened to a friend of mine - she left Japan to go to Canada and study for a CELTA, and during her studies she received a job offer at an ESL school/company that she could go straight into upon completing the course.

The company was processing her paperwork, she had everything sorted out.. passed the course - and then just like that she was told that they were giving up on the visa application because they were not able to prove that a Canadian couldn't do the same job. This was in Toronto.

Everything I've heard makes Canada sound like a very intolerant place, which I'm sure is not the case. But it seems to shut it's doors to outsiders like no other country on Earth (and I include North Korea in that, since they actually take foreigners into their country even if they don't want to go!)
                Last edited by Darwock; 07-08-2010, 17:00.

Comment

Canada puts out such a "welcoming immigration" message to the world, so I wonder what the real story is?

Perhaps it's "welcoming immigration so long as you're from a poorer country and willing to do cheap labour"?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                    Typical immigrants! Stealing juice and biscuits from the system!
                    I turned it down the first two times they offered.

Comment

Well.......... Out of the blue, Ive been invited to go to Canada again lol......... Im off in October to take in the sites and catch up with all my peoples

It was bloody freezing last October during Halloween, but this year im goin' the begining of October, Any Canadians on here know what its like weather wise in Toronto?

Was thinking of traveling as light as poss, as im headed to Buffalo to raid the outlets and then probably Montreal to raid Tonic (amongst other clubs) of all its honeyz and ale

Oh and heads up for any one looking to travel to the United States (i know this is a Canada thread) but they are gonna start charging for Visas as of September, so get yours now to avoid the fee. It lasts for like 2 years or something, so might as well do it now, whilst its still free Pretty sure Ive mentioned this before though

Comment

Really enjoying Toronto so far, currently scouring craiglist every day to find somewhere to live. Not had much luck so far but I'm sure something will turn up by the end of the month. Off to my first Blue Jays game on Monday against the Yankees, should be good!

Comment

Halfway through my first week of work after more than a year of sitting on my arse.
                          Housekeeping job ftw \o/

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post

Oh and heads up for any one looking to travel to the United States (i know this is a Canada thread) but they are gonna start charging for Visas as of September, so get yours now to avoid the fee. It lasts for like 2 years or something, so might as well do it now, whilst its still free Pretty sure Ive mentioned this before though

No more Visa Waiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              No more Visa Waiver?
                              Afraid not dude......... I had a conversation about this with someone on here before.

Best get yours done dude, whilst its free!

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                                Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                No more Visa Waiver?
                                Afraid not dude......... I had a conversation about this with someone on here before.

Best get yours done dude, whilst its free!
                                That is not true, the visa waiver program is still in place.

For the last year or so, in addition to filling in a visa waiver form (the green form you get given on the plane), you have also had to go online to a website 72 hours or more in advance of arrival and fill out an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation). This confirms you are eligable to travel to the US and lasts for 2 years. From September the US will be charging $14 for the ESTA. You still do not need a visa to travel from England to the US. Just do the check online and fill in the green form on the plane - the only difference now is that the online part will incur a charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X