No announcement yet.

Professor toythatkills and the Stumped Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I have to agree, I can't find a solution for any configuration that matches 30%, but I can for 33%. I've taken the question to be that the feet become inches and added onto the inches he specified already in the quote (so 8ft 10in became 18in).

Using that I can get answer of

2 foot 9 inches... which is a total of 33 inches. Making the feet as inches gives a total of 11 inches, which a third of the quote

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Ignore.

Comment

It is 30%. Though having checked the books answer it's about 30.5% in actual fact.

EDIT: Working 'til 9pm now!
        Last edited by toythatkills; 17-06-2009, 15:36.

Comment

I'm still not even 100% certain on the phrasing of the question to work it out, so I'm gonna give up and await the answer, cos there's no point hammering further along the path sadly...

Comment

Can't get this, closest I've got is

2'8" being given and 8'2" being ordered

Comment

Exactly 30%:

He ordered 9ft 2 and received 2 ft 9

Comment

That's true for that substitution, but that's not exactly how the question is worded. It never says the inches become feet; if that IS how it should be, then the question needed amending.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  That's true for that substitution, but that's not exactly how the question is worded. It never says the inches become feet; if that IS how it should be, then the question needed amending.
                  You said:
                  "I've taken the question to be that the feet become inches and added onto the inches he specified already in the quote (so 8ft 10in became 18in). "

That only works with... 7ft 26in. Not convinced.

Comment

May I post one? This is hard... 3 stars?

Find the smallest number (positive whole number) ending in 6 which, if you remove the 6 and put it on the front, is 4 times bigger than the original number.
                    Example: 126 becomes 612, except that's not 4 times bigger.

I have an answer: pretty sure it's the smallest but it might not be.
                    Points awarded if you match or beat mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nijo View Post
                      Exactly 30%:

He ordered 9ft 2 and received 2 ft 9
                      Winnar!

Nijo's puzzle is the next'un.

Comment

Nijo's has got to be worth more than 3 surely...unless you cheat (or i'm being dense) it's hard!

Comment

There's quite a lot you can do with it to narrow down the options quite a lot if you think logically about it.

Comment

Damn logic....guessing and luck for the win!

Comment

I've got a solution... hopefully the lowest number:

I was able to figure out some of the digits immediately, the only question in my mind after that was how long the number was going to be:

If the original number ends in 6 and the new number is 4 times larger, it means the new end digit has to be a 4. If the new overall number begins in 6, then the first two digits of the original number have to be 15, 16 or 17. And so on. Restricted the search a fair bit.

Comment

Yep, that's the number I've got.
                                Thought my solution was a bit more complicated...

3 points to Mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                                X