No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still haven't managed to get through the activation (iTunes timing out and such), but oddly the phone is working. It's showing O2 as the network and everything works, except iTunes won't sync with it. I'm not going to be using the phone as a phone until my PAC comes through anyway, so I might just leave it for now and do it first thing tomorrow morning when all the Yanks are in bed.

If there was going to be trouble like there was at the original launch (bearing in mind that time wasn't even a worldwide launch!), why on Earth did they make it even worse by putting out the 2.0 firmware at the same time? Surely they could have made that available to older iPhone owners yesterday, or even next week?

LOL sod's law: I type this after trying for about four hours on and off, and within seconds of hitting 'Post Reply' the activation goes through. Huzzah!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
      You sure they didn't just have protective covers on the demo screens? My mates that got them today report no problems like that, and they both had v1 iPhones.
      I haven't seen the difference in the flesh but it is being reported elsewhere - http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ens-explained/

Comment

With them having so much trouble activating, do you HAVE to take out a contract before youi leave the store? Or can you just buy the phone and cough cough *activate* to sign up at home?

Comment

O2 really know how to treat potential new customers

Or: The story of how I almost got an iPhone.

I work in Bracknell and so in order to try and get my iPhone early I got there earlier than normal this morning and was about 20th in the queue outside the O2 store, no biggy. At 8.30am the staff have no idea what's going on. People asking how many 16Gb iPhones they have as there's no point queuing if there aren't going to be enough. Stories of bigger stores with miniscule stock start to circulate and a lot of people look nervous. Not me, I'm here for an 8Gb (go me!)

The staff won't tell us how many units of each they have so one guy decides to do a quick tally of the now 40+ people in the queue. He tells the store manager and she continues to tow the company line of "we can't say how many we have". People grumble but keep queuing.

At about 8.45am she comes out and announces that no upgrades can be done because the system is down and all new contracts will be done by hand and could take up to 30 minutes to fill out. Sorted, thought I, all these upgrades will have to go and I'll be right at the front of the queue. Nobody moves - almost if they hadn't heard the manager speak.

Then, at 9.00am it's a "blur" of activity. Upgrades are back on, everyone (except me) looks happy and the queue ever so slowly starts to move. 5 staff filling out paperwork at a time, 20th in the queue means (with a little bit of maths) I'll be queuing for 4 hours. Sod it, I don't have that sort of time so at 9.45am I head to work.

11.30am rolls around and I figure I'll call the store to see if (a) there's any stock left and (b) if there is whether the queue is any shorter. Hooray!! There's stock and 3 people waiting.

I run round to the O2 store and I'm first in the queue. I've got my Debit card, Passport, a letter from the bank (don't get paper statements as it's all done on the internet which I explained to a staff member earlier and was told that was fine) and a letter from my Estate Agent (on behalf of my Landlord) . That must be enough ID, it was fine first thing when I was waiting for the store to open and it would be more than enough to go to Currys and buy a ?10,000 cinema system on credit so what could possibly go wrong?

I sit down, get halfway through filling out the contract, the assistant has taken copies of my ID and then says "I don't think we can take this. It needs to be an actual bank statement". Cue minor discussion (argument) with staff and the manager and a looooong phone call to O2 customer service once I get back to work about how the website says proof of name and address and how I was told first thing that what I had was okay. They were thoroughly unhelpful and just sounded like they didn't care.

So, there you have it. At one point I was actually holding the box. I should've just grabbed it a run!! Yeah, I'd have got arrested but at least I'd have a bloomin' iPhone!

Seriously, that is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. O2 couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery!

I actually think I'll leave the iPhone and stick with Orange and get a new phone next month when I can upgrade for free.

Comment

I'm posting this from my fully armed and operational iPhone! OMG!!!1

Comment

Finally activated mine! And also, noones commented on this, but where the hell is the dock?! Cant believe they didnt include it with this one

Comment

Has anyone else tried the IGN Review app (link)? I'm really impressed - it gives you an iPhone-formatted version of the review without images or ads, and if there's a video review for that particular game there's a link up the top to play it with the same interface as YouTube for iPhone. Very cool.

Comment

My new 3g is significantly better than my 2g one. 3g is zippy and gps is so much faster than on other mobiles I've seen. The apps are amazing too. Shazam can identify any music I give it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    I haven't seen the difference in the flesh but it is being reported elsewhere - http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ens-explained/
                    Mine is fine. Whites look white etc.

Comment

Come on then. One of you big spenders must have bought Super Monkeyball? First Play thread please! I've got it sat in my iTunes waiting for 2.0 Touch update before I can play it.

Comment

Neko/Darth: 'I want this iPhone FULLY OPERATIONAL!!!'

Comment

got mine this morning, my first Apple product ever

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                            Come on then. One of you big spenders must have bought Super Monkeyball? First Play thread please! I've got it sat in my iTunes waiting for 2.0 Touch update before I can play it.
                            Yes, I picked it up. Only played it very briefly. Looks very pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by HaHaUK View Post
                              Finally activated mine! And also, noones commented on this, but where the hell is the dock?! Cant believe they didnt include it with this one
                              they had to cut costs somewhere

Comment

today was bonkers
                                got a phonecall yesterday from local o2 shop (beeston nottingham) saying my iphone upgrade was pre ordered and was waiting for me this morning.

Got there at 7.45 10 in the queue
                                8.02 25 in queue
                                8.03 server meltdown
                                8.20 no 16gig ( i was there for 8gig)
                                9.00 everyones details taken as nothing was happening i refused to leave
                                9.02 servers come back on no one else there done dusted
                                9.20 home activated sorted WIN

shambles but in a very funny way

Comment

Working...
                                X