iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NekoFever View Post
    I'm on the MobileMe free trial (to claim my usual user name as much as anything ) but I still haven't managed to get it to sync my calendars. I don't think I'll use it outside the trial anyway, even if I'd like an iDisk integrated right into the Finder, just because my calendars and contacts get synced every night when I sync the day's new podcasts to the phone and I have my own domain for email, which makes the push mail pretty useless.

I still maintain that something so prominent in OS X should be a free service, at least in a more limited form than the paid one. Maybe give everyone the calendar/contact/bookmark syncing and, say, 100MB iDisk space (enough for the occasional few images and documents, but enough to be restrictive for power users), but charge for the push email and the bigger storage.
    I don't think the trial is a fully fledged one and limits you to a few features; a friend of mine is also having trouble syncing calendars whereas my full membership does it without a problem now. I do like it to be fair, the push email is great since I was using POP before and it was just getting messy with multiple copies of things everywhere. Syncing of contacts is also nice since it means I've always got my most up to date lists. Only snag so far is that Windows syncing is very hit and miss with emails behaving strangely and calendars in Outlook refusing to sync at all.

Comment

That's another thing about the email, since I use IMAP anyway so push doesn't have that many advantages. I just set the iPhone to check for mail every 15 minutes (every five minutes on my Mac), and I seriously doubt there's going to be anything coming that requires a quicker response than that.

Pretty much the only difference between push and IMAP is that the new emails get pushed down with the former. Everything's server-side with IMAP so I can mark something as read and have it show up everywhere I access it, save drafts to the server automatically, etc. It just requires refreshing the device (or waiting for the next check) to see the changes rather than having them appear instantly.

I suppose it's possible that calendars don't work on the trial, but since that's a pretty major feature it doesn't reflect well on the service if you can't try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by NekoFever View Post
        When you're on 3G it's showing the strength of the 3G connection only, and the same goes for when you're on EDGE/GPRS. What it means is that when there's poor 3G reception and it drops it, it switches to EDGE, which usually shows a strong signal because there's much better coverage.
        Not sure that I go along with that (even though it does sound logical). I'm pretty sure that the bars on iPhone 3G represent overall signal strength and not in respect to 3G/EDGE/GPRS connectivity.

3G should technically have more coverage than EDGE in the UK- the original iPhone was widely criticized for using EDGE precisely because it wasn't well covered in the UK (something O2 admitted at the time, iirc). Also, I've been using a Nokia 6233 for the last 18 months (admittedly a very basic 3G phone) and a Nokia N80 for a short time before that. Both these phones managed to stay on full strength signal whilst displaying a "3G" sign almost all of the time. On the rare occasion that signal strength dipped, the sign reverted to GPRS frequency automatically. I'm pretty sure that the iPhone 3G should be doing the same thing. I can't understand how the strength of the 3G signal can fluctuate so much even when I'm standing or sitting in one place. It would appear that other iPhone 3G owners and media observers also perceive this to be the case as well.

All that said, 1-3 bars of 3G coverage is still effective enough for me to browse quickly and receive push e-mail, so it's probably more of a slight irritation than anything else - I've yet to leave my house with my iPhone 3G, after all.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-07-2008, 09:15.

Comment

Bugger! Was following a guide to get a jailbroken 2.0 firmware and I used the standard 2.0 restore file instead of the special one I downloaded!

Now I'm 2.0 and locked
          Try to downgrade at the mo

Comment

Got it sorted, I'm now 2.0 and on t-Mobile again!
            Lets ave a look at Super Monkey Ball!

Comment

Get the Space Invaders / Breakout crossover for the iPhone, it's great fun.

Comment

Still waiting for my iPhone. But O2 have ported my number from Orange over to them, which is nice. So I now have a my old K800 phone saying INVALID SIM and when you call my number you get the O2 answer phone. Quality service

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                  Still waiting for my iPhone. But O2 have ported my number from Orange over to them, which is nice. So I now have a my old K800 phone saying INVALID SIM and when you call my number you get the O2 answer phone. Quality service
                  Further to this, O2 are now suggesting I "go to a dodgy independant phone shop and get my Orange phone unlocked" as they don't quite know when they're going to send me an iPhone. Top service there from O2.

Comment

2.0 is horrible :S
                    It takes like 10 seconds to load up the SMS screen

Comment

Mine finally turned up yesterday! I'm finding 2.0 terrible slow on the iPhone. It's nippy as anything on the Touch.

The AGPS doesn't seem to want to find me though, either at home (where I have no 3G, and barely any O2 signal) or at work (where I have 3G). Ho hum.

Comment

Is there an iPhone games thread? I got Vay. It's rubbish.

Comment

Theres a First Play for Monkeyball and a few others, but no general threads yet. I recommend Aurora Feint... very good for the price (free)

Comment

Yeah also enjoying Aurora Feint.

Comment

2.0 is working a bit better, it appeared when it restored my old stuff to it that it was all clogged up with something. Still quite slow though

Comment

couple of things, firstly my iPhone was replaced today by the lovely folks at my O2 shop for a dodgy home button.
                                The difference with this one is night and day withthe home button actually reponding like it should, now switching to iPod playback is as easy as it should be.

The shambling farce however that is mobile me is a different story entirely after appl charged me (and many others) ?121 to try their service. This caused me no end of hassle with my bank not to mention a few charges as well.
                                still waiting to hear back from Apple about it.

Next time Apple, a staged software release (itunes 7.7, wait a bit then, iphone software 2.0 THEN mobile me) would be a better approach rather than trying a global hardware and software launch. just my 2p

Comment

Working...
                                X