No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a day! After several wasted hours, it seems O2 are now going to allow existing iPhone customers to upgrade instore on Friday after today's fiasco. This was my preferred method all along since if I arrive at the store late and there's none left, I can only blame myself for not getting there early enough. Today, the blame lies squarely on O2's piss poor forward planning with their website and servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
      What a day! After several wasted hours, it seems O2 are now going to allow existing iPhone customers to upgrade instore on Friday after today's fiasco. This was my preferred method all along since if I arrive at the store late and there's none left, I can only blame myself for not getting there early enough. Today, the blame lies squarely on O2's piss poor forward planning with their website and servers.
      So we can walk into any O2 store on Friday, and providing they have stock, we can upgrade there and then?

Comment

Yep, the O2 guy said that to me over the phone and somebody else even recorded their own conversation with a customer services rep who said the same thing:

Last edited by Taka; 08-07-2008, 06:28.

Comment

O2's website says they're ll be sticking the iPhones back up to pre-order on the 10th.

Comment

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is 3g THAT much faster than the EDGE network?

Comment

Originally posted by MyDogSkip View Post
              Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is 3g THAT much faster than the EDGE network?
              Its around 3-5 times faster than Edge.

Originally posted by Taka View Post
              Yep, the O2 guy said that to me over the phone and somebody else even recorded their own conversation with a customer services rep who said the same thing:

http://iphone3ginstore.googlepages.com/o2call2.wav
              Cheers mate, guess Ill be popping down there nice and early!

Comment

My sister will be in the states next week, is it worth her picking up an iphone (if available) will i be able to register it here, unlock it whatever?

cheers

Comment

Went into my Local O2 store this morning and asked about Iphone upgrading, he said yes as of friday morning i can walk in and upgrade.
                  Popped my name on a pre order list (there were a LOT of 16gig orders not to many 8 gig ones) and will be there bright and early fri morning to upgrade.

Comment

I'm actually surprised that the 16GB ones have been significantly more popular. I'd have guessed that the 8GB ones being perfectly adequate and no worse in any respect other than storage space, coupled with the fact that they're under the psychologically important £100 mark (£99 sounds a lot cheaper than £159), would have brought a lot of people on board.

Then again, I suppose with any gadget like this a lot of the early adopters are going to know their stuff. It's like the relative failure of the Core 360 and 20GB PS3.

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger View Post
                    My sister will be in the states next week, is it worth her picking up an iphone (if available) will i be able to register it here, unlock it whatever?
                    No, she'd have to get it on a contract because network operators are subsidising them now they won't let you take one home to activate it, and it would be locked anyway. Unlocking utilities might be coming soon as they did with the previous iPhone, but you can bet that Apple has stepped up security, both in the new hardware and the 2.0 firmware.

Still no email, but it's all there on the website and people in a similar situation who have phoned O2 have been told that their order is in the system and they're safe. It's getting the PAC out of Vodafone that's proving the trickier part - it will only issue it if you've sent written notice of your intent to cancel (thankfully email will do), paid off any cancellation fees over the phone, and then it gets sent out in the post. Meanwhile you can expect calls from retention offering you an improved contract if you stay
                    Last edited by NekoFever; 08-07-2008, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by NekoFever View Post
                      Unlocking utilities might be coming soon as they did with the previous iPhone, but you can bet that Apple has stepped up security, both in the new hardware and the 2.0 firmware.
                      As I understand it (somebody please confirm or correct me), the Beta version of the iPhone 2.0 firmware was recently hacked, and the creator of premier iPhone network-unlocking software ZiPhone is already working towards coding a new version tailored especially for iPhone 3G, so I would personally wager that we'll probably be seeing network-unlocked and/or jailbroken iPhone 3Gs sooner rather than later after this Friday. Besides, I think that Apple have (privately) admitted defeat in terms of jailbreaking iPhones for homebrew apps, it's just unlocking iPhones for use on other networks that Apple are desperately trying to fight against, hence the revised buying & activation process for iPhone 3G as well as the postponing of iPhone 3G on PAYG.

IMO, Apple are fighting a losing battle long-term.

Comment

I wonder how long they will continue to stay with single providers? Surely a product as sought after as the Iphone would succeed far better on a multiple networks?

I wonder if the initial exclusivity was to make the operators pay the the advertising and push the product, then once it is established as a long time product release it to everyone.

Comment

I think it's more a matter of ensuring that it gets the full service. Visual voicemail, for example, is a great feature that I don't know of any other phone having, and it must need its own special infrastructure. I'd assume that Apple provides the back-end for that.

The money must help as well. Apple will sell as many as it can make whether it's on one network or ten, but no doubt O2 (and AT&T, etc) paid through the nose for the exclusive rights. It'll be on other networks eventually because you can't expect everyone to go over to O2, but for now Apple is cashing in.

My PAC is now on the way, so it's all systems go

Comment

I'm hoping they do hack them and you can get them for a reasonable price, my ex-staff tariff from T-mobile is unbeatable so I don't want to change and I really love my Iphone, but the 3G is really needed.

Comment

I'm going to nip into the O2 shop in the town where I work tomorrow and see if it is possible to pre-order me an 8Gb iPhone. I've got a 16Gb iPod Touch so I'm not that bothered about the larger memory size if everything else is the same between the 2 handsets (seeing as it seems we're not getting the 16Gb white one).

Looking at the ?45 a month tarriff as my usual Orange bill is around that much but this one will give me double the minutes I have at the moment so it should stay pretty constant.

I've still got 4 months of my Orange contract left so I'm going to reduce that to the lowest tarriff possible and then cancel at the end.

I've never really been one to buy into all this pre-release hype for non-console gadgets but for some reason I am really excited by the thought of getting an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                                I've still got 4 months of my Orange contract left so I'm going to reduce that to the lowest tarriff possible and then cancel at the end.
                                Do they let you reduce tarriffs now? They never used to

Comment

Working...
                                X