No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it is just a few specific peripherals but I have heard reports of iOS7 now blocking some things completely. Before, it would say the device isn't supported (which was particularly stupid when it was an original Apple product such as a HDMI cable) but would usually still work regardless. Not sure how many things are affected by this lockout.

Apparently some are blocked and some are still working in spite of the message: http://www.t3.com/news/apple-ios-7-n...ghtning-cables
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 05-10-2013, 15:39.

Comment

Haha, cable DRM.

Good job Apple.

Comment

It's really annoying, my apple charge cable broke in the car (needed it to power the phone while using the satnav) so I went into the nearest tesco before I got home and bought the only cable they stocked for ?20.

that's ?5 more than an official cable, it gives a message AND it broke the next day.

Comment

I carry the USB to Lightning adapter around with me at all times, so I can just use any old USB cable to charge.
          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 05-10-2013, 19:55.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah, all the unofficial cables we bought (cos as said, the official ones are stupidly expensive) give a message on iOS7 but continue charging.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

How can they stop unofficial cables from working anyway ?

I've just got a 5s and was after another cable and charger plug thing for my desk at work but 30 quid is just ridiculous for a charge cable.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post

I've just got a 5s and was after another cable and charger plug thing for my desk at work but 30 quid is just ridiculous for a charge cable.
                They have a chip in them which determines what mode the cable is in.

Comment

Finally got a 5s this weekend. I'm in love with it.

Managed to stick with my generation-skipping philosophy(3Gs->4s->5s) but the jump is pretty substantial. Missing being jailbroken(ProTube, iFile and the really really cool slidey cursor-scrolling hack) but most of the jailbreak hacks I used on my 4s(e.g. brightness slider) are now regular features so no big deal, I can wait.

I'm really glad I don't get motion sickness or whatever because the parallax and zooming effects are gorgeous.

I got a white case for it(smokey white plastic back, white rubber sides) and put a screen protector on. I dropped my 4s a few weeks back and cracked the screen so I'm being careful this time!

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post

I bought three cables from eBay for something like ?15 and they work fine. Seller claimed they were genuine but I didn't believe it. Maybe seconds from the factory or something?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      I carry the USB to Lightning adapter around with me at all times, so I can just use any old USB cable to charge.
                      Also, unofficial adapter (2 for ?3.49 shipped) make any old cable whether official or not, work properly.

Last edited by ItsThere; 05-12-2013, 08:10.

Comment

So I got round to jail breaking my iOS 7.0.4. Here's what I've been using so far:

CCClockOpenToAlarm: means what it says. Makes the timer icon on the control center(CC) open the alarms instead of the timer

CCControls: adds icons for other settings at the top of the CC like vibration, mobile data, rotation-lock(this one works like the iPad so you can lock horizontal or vertical on an iphone. Great for watching videos in bed!)

CCHide: didn't really need this but used it to hide Airdrop on the CC because I never use it

DockShift: changes the opacity of the dock. I've set it to minimum so I can see more of the background photo

EditAlarms: cool one - lets you edit alarms by tapping the time instead of pressing edit then choosing the alarm. Not necessary but handy when I'm sleepy/bleary-eyed and need to set my alarm

HUDDismiss: lets you close the volume icon by tapping it which is great when watching videos on Netflix

NoSlowAnimations: lets you change the speed that the iphone zooms in/out at when opening/closing apps. Makes it more nippy

StatusModifier: lets you edit the status bar. Hide stuff like battery icon and carrier. See free ram, change how the time is displayed and put your own writing up there

SwipeSelection Pro: move the text cursor by swiping. Fantastic and my favourite tweak

Virtual Home: this is more of a tech demo for me but it lets you use the fingerprint scanner as the home button so tapping it is the same as pressing it. Also has an option so you can scan to unlock without pressing home first but it drains the battery a bit

Comment

Likewise, I updated to iOS7 and jailbroke recently. Here's a list of tweaks I've installed (some not exclusive to iOS7):

Activator - additional gestures to activate certain tweaks.

AskToCall - displays a confirmation dialogue before connecting a call (works throughout iOS).

AskToSend - almost identical to above, but designed for text messages, iMessage and emails. This has saved my bacon a few times where I've been a bit too hasty typing out a message, only to potentially send it to the wrong person.

Bloard - converts the light coloured iOS7 keyboard to a dark grey, which looks a lot better IMO.

CCHide - see billy's description above.

Disable Parallax Effect - gets rid of the subtle motion of the screen when you tilt the phone, but retains the zooming in and out motion when you go in and out of apps. This has really helped my battery life by disabling the accelerometer use.

FakeClockUp - similar to NoSlowAnimations, but allows you to customise the speed to become much slower or faster than the default.

FlipControlCenter - similar to billy's CCControls above.

Icon Renamer - rename apps to whatever you want

NCAllOnly - removes the "today" and "missed" options from the notification centre, basically like how it was in iOS6.

Nitrous - allows Apple's nitrous script used in mobile Safari to speed up other apps, notably Chrome, Facebook and Twitter amongst others.

No Page Dots - gets rid of the (off-centre!!!) page dots in iOS7.

NoNewMark - gets rid of the blue dots to indicate recently updated apps.

Poof - hide apps including Apple's stock ones like Game Centre and Stocks

SBPowerAlert - shows a menu to quickly power down, reboot or respring the phone.

ShowCase - makes the keyboard behave like Android's, where the case changes depending on whether shift or caps lock is enabled.

TransparentDock - removes the dock blur.

UnlockSound7 - restores the classic unlock sound from previous iOS versions.
                          Last edited by Taka; 16-01-2014, 11:40.

Comment

I'll give Nitrous a go. Shakey mentioned it but I didn't know it works with non-browser stuff. FB's app is horrible.

I want to try the one that disables your pass code when you're at home on your wifi. It's called AutoProtect.

I'll give disable parallax a go. It was fun but not important now.
                            Last edited by randombs; 16-01-2014, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                              I'll give Nitrous a go. Shakey mentioned it but I didn't know it works with non-browser stuff. FB's app is horrible.

I want to try the one that disables your pass code when you're at home on your wifi. It's called AutoProtect.

I'll give disable parallax a go. It was fun but not important now.
                              Parallax can be disabled in the accessibility menu anyway without jail breaking.

Comment

It can but it also switches off the zooming effect which I like.

Yesterday I installed CleverPin which is like AutoProtect but better. It disables the pin when you're on particular wifi networks, playing music, charging or using airplane mode or any combination of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X