Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that irk you.. (no swearing please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    Oh gawd another Sunday night. That old 'pit in the stomach' feeling I've had since about 4 years old.
    HAHAHA! It's not just me then! ><

I blame school and further institutionalisation (That's not a real word, I just can't think of any other that fits). I never had this feeling before I went to school.

Maybe it will go away again when we retire.

Comment

iTunes 'Genius' recommendations. Sorry Apple, under no circumstances will I be buying Kylie's album. Just what are you implying?

Comment

The fact that feature is called "genius".

It's just a 'people who bought this also liked...' feature that every half decent e-commerce site has had for ages.

It not even very good. It bases the recommendations off of single purchases rather than your buying trends as a whole.

Comment

That's exactly it. There may well be something I've bought that a Kylie buyer bought but my overall library should show the chances of me wanting to buy Kylie would be pretty slim. Makes a mockery of the whole system.

Comment

Too add to that, Apple's wanking over every little feature on their latest software / hardware release. I like their products and have become a Mac convert but their whole "Look how laid back we are as we casually mention our brilliance," style is very annoying.

Comment

Pepsimaaaaaaaaan!

Comment

Paypal irk me now. My account was used fraudulently. Tried to call at 8am (as soon as it occurred) to hear that the department I needed wasn't open til 930AM.

Then they said they will investigate as it was for over &#163;300 and being used on my debit card! That's a huge chunk, especially when pay day isn't until end of the week (so I didn't have much money). They said it will take a week to get sorted.

HSBC wouldn't help as I had given prior authorisation for Paypal to use the card (by having the card details in my account), so they weren't helpful.

Ended up having to get an overdraft with HSBC to ensure it wouldn't leave me overdrawn until I get the refund from Paypal.

Annoying as hell, and not something you want to deal with as soon as you wake up in the morning!

I've limited my account now. And I will only take the limitation off when I need to use it. They said they can reactivate the account, however I can't remove the card from my Paypal until the money goes back on.

Plus, it's worrying to know how those details got compromised, as I have checked my laptop and everything is clear on there. Used Search and Destroy, and Antivirus. Plus, my other accounts all seem to be fine.

Comment

HSBC are shirking their responsibilities there. Having a card on file is not authorisation (otherwise they'd never issue a chargeback for pretty much any fraud).

Comment

May have been mentioned before...

"I loved playing with LEGOS".

No you didn't, You loved playing with LEGO. I don't care if it's grammatically correct or not, you don't play with LEGOS.

Comment

use of the non-word 'addicting'

'OMG, this game is so addicting' - STFU

Comment

Addicting is a word, it's just used a wrongly by people (mostly american)

Correct "World of Warcraft is addicting hundreds of people as I write!"
                        Incorrect : "I find World of Warcraft so addicting"

Comment

I got bored of WoW too soon to be able to use the word addicting

Comment

I see "addicting" all the time in last.fm comments when people are refering to songs they like. It makes me want to commit murder.

As for recommendations, surely nothing beats Youtube's system for completely arbitrary and obtuse recommending. I've had some utterly bizarre vids recommended to be by Youtube for no apparent reson. What's more, when you delete them from the list, they come back again!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                              Addicting is a word, it's just used a wrongly by people (mostly american)

Correct "World of Warcraft is addicting hundreds of people as I write!"
                              Incorrect : "I find World of Warcraft so addicting"
                              'Addicting' as used in the incorrect example above isn't actually incorrect. If 'addict' is acceptable as a verb, 'addicting' is acceptable as a participle, which is the usage above.
                              It's the same use as, say, 'annoying'. It may sound odd, and I don't like it personally, but technically there's nowt wrong with it. Unless of course the speaker actually means 'addictive'...
                              Last edited by endo; 22-06-2010, 11:43.

Comment

so Endo, are you saying we've gone so full circle now with language that nasty American slang, txt speak etc has actually come back round and is now gramatically correct ?

Comment

Working...
                                X