Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, and that too, yeah.

Comment

The noise is now pointing to a Lib-Lab coalition.

Not sure how I feel about that. Although I believe that some of the Tory policies are regressive (tearing up the human rights act, reducing number of weeks for abortion for women, increasing the inheritance tax threshold, their unwillingness for electoral reform) they were the largest party with the most votes and I'm not sure our electorate (or the Tory supporting press) are ready for a European style multi-party coalition.

Even if it leads to a referendum on a full Single Transferable Vote System (as opposed to AV which is BS) I don't think the voters will be impressed and will vote against full PR, effectively killing the issue for decades.

Comment

Actually, it looks like the Lib-Con deal is the one that will be in place soon.

Senior Labour figures are fighting against it, probably because they don't want to be punished by the electorate for being a bad loser. The Labour coalition looks like it might be dead in the water, the nats have rules out a coalition, I heard earlier.

Thankfully, though, the Tories appear to have been very accommodating and have offered a whipped vote in favour of an AV referendum. Obviously there are dangers associated with this coalition, but they would be much the same under a Lib-Lab deal, and AV is not PR, but it could be the first step in the right direction.

Hopefully the Lib Dems will be able to neutralise the worst excesses of Tory policy – the points you list being key examples.
        Last edited by egparadigm; 11-05-2010, 14:58.

Comment

Labour have pulled out of talks thank god.

Lib Dem-Conservative could be interesting if it's stable. The hard decisions by the Tories with the Lib Dems to ensure civil liberties aren't sacrificed.

I'd like to see large chunks of legislation that Labour introduced get chucked out and replaced with better enforcement of the previous laws. We don't need all these Thought Crime laws and anti-terror crap.

Comment

I agree. One of the potential boons of a Lib-Con coalition is that it would hold the Tories to their rather fair-weather attitude to civil liberties.

Comment

Yet another promise that labour couldn't deliver........... ;-)

Comment

Dunno if this should be here or the irk thread but the wailing from the toffee nosed idiots in middle England on the TV is getting right on my tits.

Oh boo-hoo you don't like it because Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales stopped the Conservatives getting a majority. Oh boo-hoo that you might be ruled by someone you didn't vote for.

Well see how you sodding well like it! Those three parts of the UK had to suffer from years of remote administration in Westminster - hell, they're still suffering from it even now!

All of a sudden this sort of thing is an issue because it effects them where as before it was a case of "let them eat cake!"

Comment

It's a reasonable argument though. In previous years Scottish and Welsh MPs had virtually no say in the running of affairs in their own country and were dictated to from central government. Power was devolved and they have much more influence but now they can also influence things in England. Seems unfair, even Alex Salmond has agreed with the point on TV.

Comment

It would be valid except devolution as it stands is still total rubbish - it's half a setup and has created nothing but an expensive set of white elephants.

Comment

This has been a concern for a good while, since devolution actually. Its known as the West Lothian question.

An English Parliament is the obvious answer but the problem is the Union would then be irrevocably damaged and it would set us on a course of seperation. I think I'd support a seperate Scottish state.

Wales wouldn't be seperate as its a principality.

Comment

Bout time the North and the South were split too

Comment

Lib Dems sold their souls for a few seats on cabinet. Guess independence is the only answer to a government nobody likes here or wants , god help us all with car salesman David, posh slimy and looking after the rich, welcome back Tories after 13 years,NOT.

Comment

I really hope Cameron doesn't last long. i'll never trust a man who always looks photoshopped.

Comment

Well, the Tories surely can't **** things up any more than Labour have, now can they?

I'm hoping the Con-Lib tihng comes together, as we'll get some sensible leadership (hopefully tearing up the Human Rights farce and putting in place something that supports those who need it, yet can't be abused) and a nice £10k tax threshold.
                              Last edited by Matt; 11-05-2010, 18:26.

Comment

Channel 4 news - lol at John Prescotts tirade - what a dinosaur!

Comment

Working...
                                X