No announcement yet.

Best chili pickles / sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your avatar looks at a glance like it says eurovision Bong contest.

Comment

Often required whilst watching the show.

Some more bits and bobs arrived at my desk this week ...

Some SpicyMonkey goodies:

Some Frank's RedHot lovelies:

And some Cambridge Chilli Farm limited edition Lucky 7 (made with 7 pot chillies, so called as one pod is enough for 7 pots):

Comment

I had some of that Ninja Monkey in my sandwich today

Comment

Some of the stuff bought in this thread sounds almost dangerous to consume... do you guys have any taste buds left? Seriously, I'd expect some of these sauces to put me in hospital if I tried them

Comment

The secret is to build the heat up; the chilli burn is based on the reaction to chemicals in the chillies (mostly capsaicin although there are other capsaicinoid components). The upshot is you build up a tolerance, so you can build up the heat over time and improve on that chilli headrush you get from the endorphins

The Frank's Original Redhot is probably a good place to start, it's pretty mild without being like tomato sauce and supermarkets do stock it. The Encona stuff isn't as tasty IMO, but is in every single supermarket everywhere. For something with a more complex flavour with a bit of heat, check out some of the chipotle sauces - smoked jalapenos for the win \o/

Then you can start eating the Nagas

Comment

Some further acquisitions for the chilli sauce shelf. The Godzilla is a limited edition sauce made with fatali and tomatillos and to get yours, you'll need to email the chaps at http://projectspice.co.uk/

C360_2011-10-1011-55-18.jpg by MartyPGBT, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                Some of the stuff bought in this thread sounds almost dangerous to consume... do you guys have any taste buds left? Seriously, I'd expect some of these sauces to put me in hospital if I tried them
                As MartyG says you need to build it up, easiest may be to add chillies or sauces to your curry's etc & build up a tolerance that way by increasing dosage.

Comment

Aye, probably best to avoid my lunchtime tipple until you've built that tolerance a bit ...

5 minute burn by MartyPGBT, on Flickr

Comment

Some top treats from Mr Vikkis

The powder smells pretty awesome.

Comment

Ran out of the hated Encona stuff today so will be hitting up that Mr Vikki's site later

Comment

It's not hated, there's nothing particularly wrong with it (and I have some of the West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce and a couple of others myself), it's just there are better, hand crafted alternatives that are much tastier out there. It pays to be adventurous.

Comment

Random and might have already been mentioned but I watched this show the other day about unusual food shops in the US and one was an ice cream place where they sell an ice cream so hot you have to sign a disclaimer when you buy it. The said they cut the chillies in such a way to maximise the heat in every bite.

So er yeah... carry on!

Comment

They had some similar stuff at the West Dean Chili Fiesta. Very weird. Makes sense in a crazy way
                            And chili beer

Comment

That Guy Fawkes mustard is seriously stupidly hot (doesn't have any chilli component to it), but it's very much a different burn to chilli. It's instant and intense and very focused on where it touches your tongue, but it lasts only 30 seconds or so. Chilli burns last much longer and often build and change.

Recommended however, well worth a try if you like your English mustard.

Comment

Some new additions to the spicey collection ...

Spicenice.jpg by MartyPGBT, on Flickr

These are from South Devon Chilli Farm
                                * Serrano
                                * Extreme Bhut Jolokia
                                * Hot Habanero
                                * Aji
                                * Red Jalapeno

And via Hot-Headz.com

* Cajohn's Trinidad Scorpion Puree (80% Scorpions and ?11.99 a bottle)
                                * Melinda's Xxxtra Hot Sauce
                                * Melinda's XXXXtra Reserve

Chilled bog roll on stand-by

Comment

Working...
                                X