Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended graphic novels / comics

That's the start of the "Something To Fear" arc with Negan, isn't it?

I can't wait for Rick to mash him up, but his plans have gone pear-shaped already!

Comment

Yep, that's the one. He's kind of like Governor 2 but, man, when he did his thing I was just horrified. Some really nasty pages in that one and very bleak.

Got to admit though, while I'm loving it, I'm beginning to get the feeling the story is beginning to run its course. There have been some fairly big changes, the main one being that

now there seem to be tons of survivors everywhere. It has changed the nature of the whole world it is set in and rather than just survival it now seems it can only be about how they deal with other survivors. I have noticed they've always needed to do that whenever the risk of a rut presents itself - the killer in the prison, the Governor, hunters and so on. But now that they've expanded the world so much and have now literally hundreds of survivors, I wonder if there's much left in this story or if it will begin to lose steam?

Part of me thinks they should wrap up the story of this group, give it a full proper ending and then continue The Walking Dead with a whole other bunch of survivors in a different place dealing with different challenges.

Comment

No where near the same amount of expenditure or items as Neil ...

Not everyone's favourite character, but for genuine laugh out loud moments, D'Pool 1 and 2 are on the button. Nice art too.

1st issue from IDW for the US market. Contains 2 stories. Dredd Purists will no doubt be drokking mad that he's been written so as to appeal to our American cousins, but the more exposure the better surely?

Comment

Don't suppose anyone here knows a good place online to shift old American comics do they? I think it's time I relinquish my old stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
            1st issue from IDW for the US market. Contains 2 stories. Dredd Purists will no doubt be drokking mad that he's been written so as to appeal to our American cousins, but the more exposure the better surely?
            Not necessarily. If he gets bastardised to appeal to a wider audience, even if it works I would have a hard time seeing that as a good thing. That said, I have no idea what they are doing with this so it might be fine. Let us know how it is. Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't this tried before? Wasn't there an Americanised Dredd in maybe the early 90s? Maybe with DC?

Comment

No where near the same amount of expenditure or items as Neil ...

Not everyone's favourite character, but for genuine laugh out loud moments, D'Pool 1 and 2 are on the button. Nice art too.

Lol, I'm normally not that bad...just went a bit mental that week...I'd had the Avengers Assemble in the bag for a few weeks while John sourced me an issue 1, so when that turned up I had 9 comics there that I don't normally buy.

How is Hulk?
              Tempted to add that to the Pull for a few weeks to see what they have done with him.

Dredd I'm not too bothered about...never really saw all the fuss myself.
              Was always much more of a Rogue Trooper, Nemesis the Warlock & ABC Warriors fan where 2000AD was concerned now if they start Americanising them there will be ructions!

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Not necessarily. If he gets bastardised to appeal to a wider audience, even if it works I would have a hard time seeing that as a good thing. That said, I have no idea what they are doing with this so it might be fine. Let us know how it is. Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't this tried before? Wasn't there an Americanised Dredd in maybe the early 90s? Maybe with DC?
                As a first issue I think it does ok. The art is fine, the story ok (it's to be continued in Issue 2) and Dredd exhibits his usual character traits. It's too early to give this series a verdict, as it's yet to truly get going, but I for one will be buying the next few issues to at least give it a chance. You can buy it (Issue 1 on eBay) for circa ?3.50 delivered. For that price, I think anyone with an interest in Dredd should at least give it a try.

Yes you're right DT, DC did have their own series of Dredd, tho' for how long (and how good it was), I've no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                  How is Hulk?
                  Tempted to add that to the Pull for a few weeks to see what they have done with him?
                  Neil
                  Early days mate. As with most Marvel Now Issue 1 titles, it's more a recap for the character. Its difficult to recommend the first issue based on that fact, tho' there is a change in direction for him wrt 'not going off the grid'. I've got it on my pull list along with a few other Marvel Now titles. I intend to get the first 4/5 issues for each series, and depending on how I find them, I'll either stick with them or drop them.

Comment

Early days mate. As with most Marvel Now Issue 1 titles, it's more a recap for the character. Its difficult to recommend the first issue based on that fact, tho' there is a change in direction for him wrt 'not going off the grid'. I've got it on my pull list along with a few other Marvel Now titles. I intend to get the first 4/5 issues for each series, and depending on how I find them, I'll either stick with them or drop them.
                    Yeah that's what I'm doing with the Marvel stuff at the mo...get the first few & then decide if I wan't to carry them on or not.

Will grab Hulk this weekend though & get that read.

Neil

Comment

So I finally got round to some reading this week & have read the first 8 issues of Avengers Assembled that I picked up the other week which features Thanos & some awesome Guardians of the Galaxy goodness.

It's pretty fun, nothing too special but worth a read if you can find them cheaply.

However the best bit was the last page of issue 8...if I hadn't already been stiting on the crapper I probably would have pissed my pants in excitement when I read this...

OH yeah!!!

Cannot wait for that series!!

Neil

Comment

Latest pick-ups.

1st Issue's of a couple of titles that have just started.

I'm hoping Thunderbolts turns out to be a great series, as it's certainly got potential.

Latest Issues.

Cyber Force is average, so I'll not be picking up Issue 3 and subsequent.

Filler issues for the series.

Dug out these from my LCS.

Could not resist purchase.

Gold foil subscription variant.

Last edited by Super Grover; 12-01-2013, 21:50.

Comment

Filler Issues.

Finishing the series taking longer than expected, but I'm making inroads, slowly but surely.

Latest Issues.

Both storylines starting to take shape.

Bought this issue, both standard and variant (wraparound front cover), due to its milestone and significance (last issue of the Amazing Spider-man)

Won't see many, if any(?) series getting to issue 700 before getting a reboot, such as Spidey is.

I've ordered Superior Spider-man #1 as it will be interesting to see how the new direction of the character will pan out, plus it's an ideal jump on point for new readers.

Last edited by Super Grover; 12-01-2013, 21:54.

Comment

I got the first volume of the Game of Thrones graphic novel for christmas. The artwork is great and it does a good job of following the story!

Comment

Latest Haulage.

Always fancied reading a bit of DeathStroke, and these first two issues were going cheap, so I took a punt.

Very violent, and Deathstroke's favourite finishing move seems to be decapitating his foe! May pick up some more issues later, as they seem to be going fairly cheap, which I can only presume to mean that the comic is not highly regarded.

The new series of Hawkeye has been getting glowing reviews, so I bought the odd issue to see for myself (issue 4 & 6). The series is only upto issue 7, so you would think getting the whole series to date would be a fairly cheap affair. Ebay prices say otherwise! Issue 1 (1st print) is going north of ?20 already. That fact that issue's 1-3/4 had a few re-issues due to low print runs and as mentioned, glowing reviews, means that anyone wanting to get a full set of first prints is going to have to pay a fair bit.

I enjoyed Spidey 700, so I thought I would complete the storyarc and pick up 698, 699 & 699.1

Prices for these issues are creeping up due to their importance, so I'm glad I got them now rather than later.

1st issue of Superior Spider-man.

It's had very good reviews all round, so its heartening to see the series is off to a good start.

1st issue of The New Avengers. Mark Hickman is the writer, so I've got high hopes for the series. Super sci-fi/alternative worlds is the order of the day. Could'nt help myself with the variant issue, it just a great front cover (1/50).

Morbius issue 1. Not read any stuff with him in (besides Spidey, above), so I thought as it's the start of the series, I may as well take a look.

And finally, issue 2 of JD. What a cover!!

Not sure when I'm going to read that lot with working away, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.
                              Last edited by Super Grover; 18-01-2013, 20:20.

Comment

Been after this issue for a while but I've wanted a fairly decent grade copy, so I've had to bide my time.

This has come from the 'States, and was posted Monday and I received it today, so no complaints with the postal service.

Avengers #54 - the first appearance of Ultron.

Comment

Working...
                                X