Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest ongoings.

Interesting to note that on the Punisher Warzone cover, there is no sign of Thor, whereas the other Avengers are being 'buried'. Thats probably relates to the previous issue where Frank runs into Thor, and gets a Tiger Uppercut from the Norse God as a means of getting his attention.

Random purchases.

Already got Issue 4 & 6 of Hawkeye, so I'm trying to finish the storyarc. BlackAcre has been getting a lot of attention on some other boards that I frequent, so I thought I would give it a whirl. New X Men 128 has the first appearance of Phantomex, who is a bit of a bizzare character.

Been wanting to get into Chew for a while, but early issues, especially 1, are crazy money for a modern title. However, since the announcement that the tv series is not going ahead, I'm thinking (hoping!) some speculators will start to unload their copies at reasonable prices. I've got Issue 32 and on, on my pull list (the series is intended to be a 60 issue run), so that side of things is sorted. These issues were the only ones in my LCS, and I've managed to bag a couple of other cheap issues off ebay which I'm yet to receive. Due to the prices of the earlier issues, I envisage only buying 1 or 2 issues a month, so completing the first half of the series is going to take some time. Not sure how I am going to procure issue an issue 1, in fact I try not to think of that at all!

Lastly, Revival issue 2(!) to 6. Yeah thats right Garrz, like a sucker, I paid through the nose for that issue!

Talking to the owner of my LCS at the weekend, and he was saying that some guy came in during the week and bought ?4K !!!!!!?!!!!! worth of mid to high grade silver comics off him. And he's going to come back again in a few more weeks for another splurge?!? Makes my Revival No.2 price look like a drop in the ocean!!
    Last edited by Super Grover; 04-02-2013, 22:27. Reason: Bloody speling!

Comment

Picked up some new shiz today...

Also got Guardians issues 8 - 12, 17, 18 & 19 waiting to be picked up when I'm next in there

All for the lovely sum of ?1.50 each
      Little more expensive than issue 7 but even at that price I can't argue

Neil

Comment

Let me know what the AA Annual is like when you get 'round to reading it.

Can't believe you are buying GotG issues for that price.

I hate you right now!

Comment

My latest bits.

Enjoying Thunderbolts quite a bit, although I'm still not liking the artwork. Great Pacific has an intriguing storyline so I'll be trying to catch up with that (only a few issues in I think).

Chew. These issues are probably the last that I can pick up at a 'normal' price. All back issues start to get dearer the earlier you go however, its interesting to note that ebay has quite a lot of new auctions for all the back issues this week. I'm guessing people are unloading them due to the supposed tv series being shelved.

Old school.

KA-POW!

Comment

I've gone right off Revival - it started out really well and has descended into a bit of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
              Let me know what the AA Annual is like when you get 'round to reading it.

Can't believe you are buying GotG issues for that price.

I hate you right now!
              Lol sorry buddy

They should only be ?2.20 an issue anyway but I get on alright with the owner so he does me deals on back issues when I need them

Will let you know as soon as I get onto the anuual...will probably read it next as soon as I finish Infinity Gauntlet this week.

Just finished the main book for Secret Invasion & it's possibly one of the most confusing books I've ever read...just sort of shambles from big fight to big fight & then a super battle & it all finishes.
              I appreciate there are side books to go along with it & I've bought & read some of them (Who do You Trust, Captain Marvel, Avengers initiative & Thor) but no way I can afford or be bothered to buy the other 14 books that lead upto the main arc.

Nice pick ups as well Grover

Neil
              Last edited by Soundwave; 10-02-2013, 14:10.

Comment

My latest pick-ups.

@ Grover...Was going to bid on Chew #1 on Fleabay last night,bids started at ?150.

There weren't any bids right until the last hour,then out of the blue a Zero Bidder(with the less than 30 days member sign)bids on it..
                mmmmm what's the chances of that!!Neadless to say i didn't bid on it..

Comment

Another nice Spidey issue there Garrz!

I do like those Dracula covers too. What are the storylines like, I`m presuming Drac is some sort of anti-hero?

Wrt to Chew 1, it sounds a bit suspect doesn`t it! I think I may have looked at it myself, but I did`nt pursue it as it had as small crease on the front cover.

I was bidding on a lot of 5 early Chew issues yesterday, but some rascal sniped me with about 5 seconds to go!

Back to the drawing board, lol.

Comment

Thanks mate,Spidey is coming along nicely...

The Dracula storylines are not too bad,some have been lame...but in general quite good,gotta remember these are from the 70's.The world has changed a lot since then(not for the best as well)

Special mention of Issue 57(not in the picture) was fantastic,well ahead of it's time..

Regarding Chew#1....yeah that was the one,the crease didn't bother me but the shill bidding does!!

Lol...Unlucky with the Chew issues,it wasn't me by the way>>if you see some other issues of Chew on Fleabay that you are going for PM me(just incase we end up bidding against each other) I'll glady step aside.

Comment

Is Superior Spider-Man any good?

I really don't like the premise of it.

I recently read the first part of Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk as I like Leinil Francis Yu's artwork and I quite liked it.
                      I'd like to find out if Wolverine finds where Hulk threw his legs to!

I'm also re-reading Wanted after seeing the film t'other week.

Comment

Todays new pick ups...another obscenly expensive trip to the LCS

And just for Grover...

Hoping that John will still be able to find the missing issues now but I'm not too fussed if not, will just grab them off Ebay if needs be.

Neil

Comment

What a git! Lol.

Nice mate. There's a few issues that I have'nt got there. I'm in a similar position to yourself with regard to to picking them up off the 'bay as and when at the moment.

I've been thinking on picking up the Avengers as its supposed to be good, what are your thoughts?

I'm over here in Germany for another 10 days or so, so I'm guessing when I got to my LCS I'll have a few issues to pick up. Also had the wife complaining about the amount of comic packages coming through the post that I have bought off eBay, lol.

I'll update with pics once I'm back.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                            What a git! Lol.

Nice mate. There's a few issues that I have'nt got there. I'm in a similar position to yourself with regard to to picking them up off the 'bay as and when at the moment.

I've been thinking on picking up the Avengers as its supposed to be good, what are your thoughts?

I'm over here in Germany for another 10 days or so, so I'm guessing when I got to my LCS I'll have a few issues to pick up. Also had the wife complaining about the amount of comic packages coming through the post that I have bought off eBay, lol.

I'll update with pics once I'm back.
                            Lol I'm sorry...honest

Thanks buddy
                            Going to start working through looking for the others but I'll do them slowly...no real rush.

I'm quite enjoying it to be honest, the opening arc has been quite good & they are bringing in a few Cosmic bits at the moment which is quite interesting.

Speaking of Cosmic, I finished Infinity Gauntlet the other day & it's a great read well worth picking up if you can.

On that note I did read the Avengers Assemble Annual after that & it's pretty poor.
                            I've never really been into Vision as a character & this whole little story was just dull, didn't really do anything or go anywhere.
                            I wouldn't spend money on it.

Lol it sounds like my missus, I get handed parcels when I get home & she just says "what is it this time"

Look forward to your pics when you get home...speaking of which how goes things? What are you doing out there at the mo?

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                              I'm quite enjoying it to be honest, the opening arc has been quite good & they are bringing in a few Cosmic bits at the moment which is quite interesting.

Look forward to your pics when you get home...speaking of which how goes things? What are you doing out there at the mo?

Neil
                              I do like the cosmic side of things, so I think I may jump onboard. It`s only a few issues in too, so should`nt be too difficult to pick up the issues at a sensible price. Thanks for the recommendation.

I`m involved with the preparation of delivering the Airbus A350 wings from Bremen to Toulouse (France). I`ve been here 4 months, but the finish line is only a week away now. Looking forward to getting my life back to normal and spending some time reading through a big pile of comics!

Comment

Did any of you go to London Super comic con over the weekend? If so i would like to know what people thought. Was it better then last year or much the same also if you did go last year what's your thought on how it could get better

Comment

Working...
                                X