Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice new pick ups Grover

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
    Got a few more less known characters/teams comics to come through the post, and then that's pretty much it. Need too start reading them now.
    Lol you're getting as bad as me...out of everything I've posted here recently I've read - Red Hulk, Skaar & Thor Visionaries

Everything else is in a to read pile that just keeps getting bigger...all I'm doing is keeping up to date with the new 52 titles on my Pull List.

I must start soon.

I should have the Guardians stuff turning up soon

Neil

Comment

What's on your pull list Neil, anything a bit special?

Not a big fan of DC on the whole, but I'm always open to any recommendations on stuff I'm missing out on.

Is the Guardians in TPB? I tried to buy the first few (comic) issues off ebay, but issue 1 alone was going for over ?20!

Comment

What's on your pull list Neil, anything a bit special?

Not a big fan of DC on the whole, but I'm always open to any recommendations on stuff I'm missing out on.

Is the Guardians in TPB? I tried to buy the first few (comic) issues off ebay, but issue 1 alone was going for over ?20!
        Nah nothing too special...

Batman
        Detective Comics
        Dark Knight
        Batman & Robin
        Nightwing
        Teen Titans
        Justice League
        Green Lantern
        Green Lantern: New Guardians
        Green Lantern Corps
        Red Lanterns
        Transformers: Re-Generation one

Nothing really stand out although I am really enjoying all the Lantern titles & they are lining up for some big changes from issue 13 onwards
        Also Joker starts making his first proper appearance soon in Batman so they are upping the game
        Big things planned for JL as well which looks like major changes coming

Yeah the GoTG stuff is out in TPB

There are 4 main books...

Vol 1 - Legacy

Vol 2 - War of the Kings Book 1

Vol 3 - War of the Kings Book 2

Vol 4 - Realm of the Kings

I'm paying RRP but I am getting them from my LCS as John has always been good to me & I like to support him where I can

Neil

Comment

I prefer Marvel to DC. I tried getting into the Darkest of Nights crossover, but there were just too many characters that I didn't know about or particularly cared what happened to! With the last few Marvel crossovers, it's introduced me to some new characters that I quite like even though I'd not heard of them before.

I'm going to dip into the new 52, using this as a guide:
          It has been one year since DC's new 52 launched; now it's time to look through the lens of hindsight and get ranking.

I've about 10 comics left in the Fear Itself crossover and I'm ready for it to end. I want to crack on with the new Iron Man and Hulk series. I hear they've separated Banner and the Hulk?

There are a few others I'm enjoying though. Luther Strode was good (thank, Easty!) and Millar's Supercrooks and Secret Service are both still very readable. I'm also going to read Locke & Key, Leviathan, The Light, Leviathan and Judge Dredd, but I'm not sure when!

Comment

I finished Planet Hulk and thought it was awesome. Like Spartacus with the Hulk in it. Great story and the artwork was excellent for the most part. A really good read. My only wish was that it had been completely self-contained rather than a continuing Hulk story so they could have

given it a happy ending.

I guess that's one of the problems with ongoing superhero comics.

And then I moved on to World War Hulk, where that was even more of a factor and, being honest, I found it a little unsatisfying. Given the setup, it really should have gone only one of two ways -

the Hulk killing them all or punishing them to the point of uselessness, or them killing the Hulk. Because they need to keep stories going, neither of these things could happen which took away a huge amount of the power from this. It was fun in places and action-packed but it was basically a huge fight that could never really pay off. And I felt cheated that the 'heroes' never really seemed to take responsibility for what they had done, no matter who actually caused that one explosion. They were assholes and I'd have liked to have seen them taken down.

It's a real design flaw of ongoing comics - they can never really have an end.

I also got the Complete Bad Company, rereading the original stories and catching up on the later ones I missed. The first two Bad Company stories are still fantastic. The art is somewhat inconsistent but the stories are just so engaging and full of memorable moments. Still great after all these years. The third story, Kano, was better than I remembered it. The art is pants (weird how Ewins' artwork seemed to get worse over the years but maybe schedules or whatever had an impact) and the story is like a little side story, so I can understand why I felt it disappointing back in the day but, taken for what it is, it's actually pretty good.

And then there is the one I hadn't read - Bad Company 2002. Oh dear. Wow. Why did they even make this? Story is paper-thin and pretty pointless, really just undoing some of the good plot points of the older Bad Company stories, the characters are totally forgettable and it's just a very straightforward retread with no surprises. A complete miss in just about every way.

Comment

Firstly, apologies to QC and DT for following up their insightful reviews with my latest pickups.

You'll all be glad to hear that these are pretty much the last of my random purchases, so I won't be high jacking this thread as much in the future.

ROM.
              It has a similar premise for the hero as Silver Surfer. Giving his existence for the greater good of his world. In ROM's case, becoming a 'super soldier' by being encased in bionic armour to fight off an invading alien invasion on his home planet.

NOVA

Man-Thing

Super Dinosaur

Now I love dinosaurs, and I love big guns and rockets. Dinosaurs with big guns and rockets = I'm in hog heaven!
              Bought these as a job lot, just issue 5 that was not included. Not sure if I will continue to pick up issue 7 and on, as it's not engaging me too much, lol. Will put them away for my daughter and son to have a read at an appropriate point in time tho'.

Just waiting on 1 more title to come through the post.

It's a bit special!

Comment

Aside from my New 52 issue 0's this weekend my LCS managed to get me my GotG Book 1 & I also picked up a Marvel one shot Thanos Book

It's reprints of 2 Mravel Annuals from 1977 but it's pretty good & a nice way to re-read some classics I never got to enjoy first time round (I was born the year they were first printed lol)

Just waiting to get the rest of the Guardians stuff now

Neil

Comment

Sigh, still waiting for Neil to actually read his books to let us know what they are like!

Managed to smuggle this into the house without the wife seeing. If she found out the price she would kick me so hard in the balls I would end up coughing them up.

A high grade copy of Iron Man #55.

First appearances of Blood Brothers, Drax The Destroyer, and Marvels pin up baddie, Thanos!!

Comment

Just read the death of spiderman arc. What other arcs would people recommend to read?

Quite interested in the guardians of the galaxy as id like to know more before the film. Avengers. Xmen, Batman etc.

Comment

Sigh, still waiting for Neil to actually read his books to let us know what they are like!

Managed to smuggle this into the house without the wife seeing. If she found out the price she would kick me so hard in the balls I would end up coughing them up.

A high grade copy of Iron Man #55.

First appearances of Blood Brothers, Drax The Destroyer, and Marvels pin up baddie, Thanos!!

Lol I'm sorry buddy...I'll get to them soon...I promise.
                      The Pull list is still keeping me busy lol

I'm also trying to back track a bit with some of the arcs so I have a better grounding before I get started on the main book.

Just ordered all the books before Blackest Night so I'll be starting them soon & I'm building up to the Secret Invasion stuff but I'm cherry picking them as 19 books before the main event is a lot to read & a shed load of cash lol

I'll get there I promise

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
                      Just read the death of spiderman arc. What other arcs would people recommend to read?

Quite interested in the guardians of the galaxy as id like to know more before the film. Avengers. Xmen, Batman etc.
                      Hard to recommend arcs as I'm not sure what you really like but of what I'v read recently I would recommend...

Planet Hulk
                      World War Hulk
                      Skaar Son of Hulk
                      Civil War
                      Marvel Zombies
                      Marvel Apes
                      Killing Joke
                      Dark Knight Returns
                      Knightfall
                      Knights End
                      Long Halloween
                      Death in the Family
                      Death of the Stacy's
                      Maximum Carnage
                      Ultimate Galactus
                      Death of Superman
                      Return of Superman
                      Arkham Asylum
                      Gotham by Gaslight
                      Batman: Year One
                      Walking Dead
                      Thor Visionaries

That's off the top of my head

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        Aside from my New 52 issue 0's this weekend my LCS managed to get me my GotG Book 1 & I also picked up a Marvel one shot Thanos Book

It's reprints of 2 Mravel Annuals from 1977 but it's pretty good & a nice way to re-read some classics I never got to enjoy first time round (I was born the year they were first printed lol)

Just waiting to get the rest of the Guardians stuff now

Neil
                        You read Annihilation Conquest first Neil? Sets up all the GOTG stuff and its where the team forms.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
                          You read Annihilation Conquest first Neil? Sets up all the GOTG stuff and its where the team forms.
                          Nope not started anything cosmic till I have all the GotG stuff to hand to make it one long run

Just waiting on Book 2 to ship as my LCS told me the books 3 & 4 will be in hand in 2 weeks (He can't get book 2 so I've had to got to Forbidden Planet for that) I'll also have Annihilators Earth Fall then as well so my Cosmic haul will be well & truly finished

Actually Alex while I have you, have you read Avengers Disassembled??
                          I started reading Storm Breaker the other day & it starts with Bill being involved in the fall of Ragnarok & it looks like it comes during the Disassembled story Arc & I'm just wondering if it's worth getting Thors book to read first?

Neil

Comment

All the Disassembled stuff is good, all of them are good lead ins for the titles that came afterwards like Thor, Iron Man and New Avengers.

I don't think you really need to read Thor Disassembled for Storm Breaker as both are pretty individual stories but i will say Thor disassembled is a fantastic book. and is deffo worth reading.

Like i say the disassembled books are good jump off points to get into a series. I didn't read Avengers until i read disassembled and I've bought and read every Avenger comic that followed it lol so don't get sucked in.
                            Last edited by NeoDragoN; 30-09-2012, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
                              All the Disassembled stuff is good, all of them are good lead ins for the titles that came afterwards like Thor, Iron Man and New Avengers.

I don't think you really need to read Thor Disassembled for Storm Breaker as both are pretty individual stories but i will say Thor disassembled is a fantastic book. and is deffo worth reading.

Like i say the disassembled books are good jump off points to get into a series. I didn't read Avengers until i read disassembled and I've bought and read every Avenger comic that followed it lol so don't get sucked in.
                              Ah dammit more to buy then lol

Thanks for the info buddy.
                              I'll grab Thor as it's not a hugely expensive book & I'm getting much more into him as a character lately & the storyline he has semm really interesting.

I will be careful with the pennies though & pick my titles carefully

Thanks again

Neil

Comment

Got myself some walking dead so i'll see how that goes thanks mate

Comment

Working...
                                X