Good Japanese Restaurants in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Japanese Restaurants in London

Has anyone got any good Japanese food restaurants recommendations for London.

Misato is quite highly rated but I wondered if there were any others people here have enjoyed?

Thanks!

I like Abeno, which is an Okonomiyaki restaurant, although its pricey for what it is.

Comment

It's been a couple of years however I've never had a bad meal @ Nobu. Ditto for Zuma, although I've never had to pay myself so that could've clouded my judgement.

There's a good one off Regent St (Warwick St I think) called So Sushi where if you go on the right day you can watch the chef fillet a whole massive tuna - that dude is a true artist & is an awesome spectacle (as well as great sushi). Can't remember if prices were reasonable here either, as I say I used to go on the work amex so never really took much notice.

Comment

Are you after something more casual along the lines of Misato or something fancier?

Ramen Seto is literally behind Hamleys and is pretty good for casual Japanese dining. Prices and portions are also very good, with most of my meals on my own coming to less than a tenner including a drink.

For more oppulent dining, the restaurant in the basement of the Mitsukoshi department store is very good and pretty authentic. The sushi bar is a great experience and everything is made in front of you. The restaurant itself serves stuff like sukiyaki etc. Quite dear though, with myself and an ex receiving a bill for £100 or so just from ordering off the a la carte sushi menu.

Comment

Ealing is great for Japanese restaurants due to the abundance of ex-pats in the area. At Ealing Common we used to have Sushi-Hiro (which had a fantastic reputation as one of the best in London) but that has recently closed/re-branded as an Atari-Ya (link), a few doors down there is also Kiraku which is also fantastic. Closer to Ealing Broadway there are a couple of others but IMO they pale in comparison to the other two.

If you are staying in central London, I am a big fan of Abeno / Abeno Too also - both very good, and a fun experience having your food cook infront of you. Tokyo Diner in Chinatown is good for a cheap option. If you're more after sushi, a friend and fellow enthusiast recently has recommended Shiori, up near Euston. If you're made of cash and/or a celebrity there's always Nobu too.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
            It's been a couple of years however I've never had a bad meal @ Nobu. Ditto for Zuma, although I've never had to pay myself so that could've clouded my judgement.

There's a good one off Regent St (Warwick St I think) called So Sushi where if you go on the right day you can watch the chef fillet a whole massive tuna - that dude is a true artist & is an awesome spectacle (as well as great sushi). Can't remember if prices were reasonable here either, as I say I used to go on the work amex so never really took much notice.
            Ive been recommended to go to a Japanese restaurant by China Town/leicester Sq on Warwick Street actually, I think it is called Satsuma? Is this the same as the Zuma you mention?

Comment

This is all great guys, thanks very much.

I'm after casual and fancy eating as it'd be nice to find places for lunch on days out and also somewhere nice to take Ms. Chopemon on Valentines.

Comment

Take the Mrs to Nobu Chopemon you won't be disapointed mate it's great.

Comment

Abeno is great, as is Nobu of course (although noisy/busy). If you go to Nobu you can pop into the Met Bar before dinner for strong and ridiculously expensive cocktails.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                    Ive been recommended to go to a Japanese restaurant by China Town/leicester Sq on Warwick Street actually, I think it is called Satsuma? Is this the same as the Zuma you mention?

no Zuma is in Knightsbridge

IIRC you need to take out a 2nd mortgage for this joint....but it is great!

Comment

Nobu. Of course.

Just spotted Nijo said exactly the same. Quality place. If you watch what you eat it isn't totally horriffic price wise.

Comment

OT, while there are some London experts in this thread....

What's the name of the shop that sells figures / collectables, I think it's in Soho, maybe on Brewer Street / Beak Street or nearby... I can picture the shop front, but can't quite navigate there on maps.

Anybody help?

Comment

Nobu is badass. You'll be looking at booking for next Valentine's now though.

You could always take her to Yo! Sushi if she's up for a laugh I guess.
                          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 08-02-2011, 19:48.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

OT: Got it, PlayLounge on Beak Street. Knew it was around there somewhere.

Nobu: Yep, it's completely booked out for the 14th. You can get dodgy times (6pm, 11pm) on the days around that, but it's only really a good suggestion if you can book well in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              Ealing is great for Japanese restaurants due to the abundance of ex-pats in the area. At Ealing Common we used to have Sushi-Hiro (which had a fantastic reputation as one of the best in London) but that has recently closed/re-branded as an Atari-Ya (link), a few doors down there is also Kiraku which is also fantastic. Closer to Ealing Broadway there are a couple of others but IMO they pale in comparison to the other two.
                              Have you tried Sen-nin? It opened relatively recently in Ealing Broadway (actually just across the road from me) and looks a bit different from outside but haven't tried it yet. Believe it is mainly teppanyaki.

Comment

Working...
                              X