Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Nothing that I've heard but I have an opinion about them
    i'd assume most foreigners (ie not native Japanese) are in the country to make money and for work purposes and their allegence ends there.....

Comment

'Funny you should say that, but I looked on the sites I usually donate on (Christian Aid, Tearfund and Oxfam) but none of them had an option to donate to Japan (just news updates)'

Put Japan Oxfam into google and you will find a page to donate to their earthquake appeal.

Comment

A word being bandied about here is "Flyjin" to describe those that left. The issue for many is that the workload increased heavily for those that stayed, Japanese or foreign. My wife for example has had to do an extra two roles in her company as her Russian colleague left but will return, apparently. It's fair to say, she's furious about it.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. You worked in the City of London, and huge quake shook the UK. Suddenly half of your office potentially jumps on the first plane out. You're stuck to do their jobs, plus cope with power cuts, general breakdown of business infrastructure, etc. I think most would feel the same, if the "Flyjin" turned up two weeks later like nothing had happened.

Most wasted their money anyway as the real problem long term is going to be contamination of the groundwater and food supply. A bit of smoke in the air is nothing compared to the issue about the effect on the human food chain. Those poor farmers in Fukushima will probably go bankrupt over this. TEPCO and the Govt. need to compensate them for their potential loss. Mislabeling is going to rear its ugly head at some point. Nobody is going to buy "Made in Fukushima" products now. Will it be shipped to other parts of the country and packaged there? It's happened before I heard.
        Last edited by Richard.John; 24-03-2011, 23:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
          A word being bandied about here is "Flyjin" to describe those that left. The issue for many is that the workload increased heavily for those that stayed, Japanese or foreign. My wife for example has had to do an extra two roles in her company as her Russian colleague left but will return, apparently. It's fair to say, she's furious about it.
          In my company too people are having to do extra days due to the others that fled. Some of them are still yet to come back to work. Honestly I think most of them take the piss and have used the disaster as an excuse to have an extended holiday.
          Even this Wednesday I was working for someone who had took off from Japan so I think I'm allowed to moan about people who buggered off (that have responsibilities of employment)

Comment

I say don't let the gits back in to the country. F*ck'em as they say. Even down here were life never changed one single bit a few nobs pissed off back to their own countries only to return and expect everyone to greet them with open arms.

Comment

At least the off the boat crowd have greater job opportunities now. And for picking up women too, ha ha.
              A spook friend works for the Canadian Embassy and he uses the 'here to help' line to pick up girls. I think it works...

Comment

What's the post like in Japan at the moment, near the (semi-)affected areas? I couldn't reach a few peeps via email, so posted physical letters.

Silly question:
                Are people buying geiger counters? Are they suddenly being stocked everywhere? Where does one buy such a thing anyway?

I ask, since I've always wanted a geiger counter, not out of fear of radiation leakage, but just for my own amusement in case I stumbled across something radioactive one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                  Silly question:
                  Are people buying geiger counters? Are they suddenly being stocked everywhere? Where does one buy such a thing anyway?

I ask, since I've always wanted a geiger counter, not out of fear of radiation leakage, but just for my own amusement in case I stumbled across something radioactive one day.
                  You should see the Americans posting on Play-Asia's Facebook page. They posted a few photos of the first post-disaster deliveries from Japan and the first replies were from people asking if the parcels had been tested for radiation. The worst part is that you can't even tell if they're being tongue-in-cheek.

Laughing hard at the "flyjin" too. After reading reports of ordinary Japanese people donating clothes, blankets and other aid to the Red Cross, conserving resources and the power plant workers carrying on in spite of the health risks, I'd be loathe to let them back into the country as well.

Comment

Today, the missus, son and I took some health supplies to the donation area. things like babies nappies, bum wipes, toothpaste, toothbrushes and so on. Loads of stuff. Enough for about 4 families I'd say. Not a great deal but every little helps.

Comment

Can't buy bum wipes here for ****!

Comment

Eh? Really? Do you need some? I could always send some up. By bum wipes I mean the wet tissue things. Could be called wet wipes I guess. They're meant for wiping babies bottoms but they're excellent for cleaning anything! CDs, car dashboards, floors and so on. Of course you need to dry the item after wiping it

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
                          Can't buy bum wipes here for ****!
                          BEST POST EVER

Comment

がんばって、日本!

During the last few weeks since the earthquake struck Japan I was traveling around working on a little "Moral Support-/Solidarity-Video":

I know, the pronounciation isn't always spot-on, but almost none of my friends, co-workers or people I met does speak japanese, too.

"がんばって、日本!/ Ganbatte, Nihon!" means "Don't give up, Japan!", "You can make it!", "Go for it!", etc..

I made the video mainly for my friends "over there", but maybe there's also someone around here that might like it or know somebody who might find it nice to see that even in far-away Europe people actually do care about their fellow japanese friends and gamers

ceno

Comment

Damn, just had a M7.4 aftershock in Miyagi. Felt strong in Tokyo and long, like the megaquake.

Comment

Is everyone alright?

Comment

Working...
                                X