Beers (and other alcohol beverages) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beers (and other alcohol beverages) thread

don't think there is one so thought I would see if anyone fancied discussing beers, lagers etc etc For my 1st just got through a 6 pack of that new fosters gold (4.8abv) ?5.10 for 6 in sainsburys it's a premium price and a premium abv but good god it tastes like crap like someone dropped a vodka in a normal fosters so if you see it on offer tbh don't bother
    Last edited by ETC; 01-08-2011, 14:06.

^Weeeeell, what would you expect from Fosters? 4.8% ffs, 'premium'(!) Wouldn't be surprised to see a gang of burly, skinheaded Poles all crowding around a can of that in the local precinct, pointing and cackling, flecks of gob all over the shop.

Coors Light is currently going at ?3 for 4x440ml cans in Morrisons right now. It's not a great beer, but it's quite low in calories. It's also got a 'distinctive' flavour, sometimes I really like it, makes me feel a bit gippy at the mo.

Yup, that flavour, it's...interesting. Used to quite like it in cheap pints at Wetherspoons before they switched to Tuborg, was cheap enough to be acceptable, 'nice', even (on a hot day, at least).

Also, chilled 500ml bottles of Boheme currently ?1 at Tesco. Another 'distinctively-flavoured' lager, but Czech *and* imported.

Comment

I'm having a Scottish beers only phase just now. I can highly recommend Red Kite (red ale), Isle of Arran Blonde, Innes & Gunn (red label and rum cask stuff in particular), The Chase (red ale), Ola Dubh (jet black matured in whisky casks, stunning brew) and Punk IPA. Going to the Bier Halle in Glasgow tomorrow so it will be imports galore. I always have some Krusovice Dark, Paulaner (the Oktoberfest brew is great) and Hoegarden Forbidden Fruit when I'm in there. Brew Dog now have their own pub in Edinburgh which I'm itching to try as well. Their Sink the Bismarck brew is 41%! http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        ^Weeeeell, what would you expect from Fosters? 4.8% ffs, 'premium'(!) Wouldn't be surprised to see a gang of burly, skinheaded Poles all crowding around a can of that in the local precinct, pointing and cackling, flecks of gob all over the shop.Coors Light is currently going at ?3 for 4x440ml cans in Morrisons right now. It's not a great beer, but it's quite low in calories. It's also got a 'distinctive' flavour, sometimes I really like it, makes me feel a bit gippy at the mo.Yup, that flavour, it's...interesting. Used to quite like it in cheap pints at Wetherspoons before they switched to Tuborg, was cheap enough to be acceptable, 'nice', even (on a hot day, at least).Also, chilled 500ml bottles of Boheme currently ?1 at Tesco. Another 'distinctively-flavoured' lager, but Czech *and* imported.
        Boheme - I think I know what that 'distinctive' flavour you talk about is its bloody mong and looks like rat piss I did buy a cheap curio yesterday too 'bier des moulins' in sainsburys in the imported singles there was this weird little plastic bottle was 51p each for a 50cl bottle (3.8abv) was surprisingly not too bad certainly not a great drink but quite reminiscent of 'fink brau' did the jobAlso loving the coors light adverts at the moment Off to the chinese supermarket today to buy some lager to go with the Chinese meal I'm making tonight

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          I'm having a Scottish beers only phase just now. I can highly recommend Red Kite (red ale), Isle of Arran Blonde, Innes & Gunn (red label and rum cask stuff in particular), The Chase (red ale), Ola Dubh (jet black matured in whisky casks, stunning brew) and Punk IPA. Going to the Bier Halle in Glasgow tomorrow so it will be imports galore. I always have some Krusovice Dark, Paulaner (the Oktoberfest brew is great) and Hoegarden Forbidden Fruit when I'm in there. Brew Dog now have their own pub in Edinburgh which I'm itching to try as well. Their Sink the Bismarck brew is 41%! http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark
          Thank God - someone in a beers thread talking about decent beers! Fosters and its kith and kin are pissy, barely brewed, hardly fermented chemical-infused ****e, barely able to carry the moniker 'beer'. I had Trashy Blonde and 5AM Saint over the last couple of days, very nice, although a lot of Brewdog beers taste pretty similar, with the abvs boosted. Ola Dubh is ace, like you say, but I've only had the one version of it - the 5 years one iirc. The cheapest! Doesn't it come in about 5 different 'years'? I don't think I've had a bad Harviestoun beer yet!

Comment

Ah a great topic this When I do get the time I normally drink Bombardier, Corona, Masters Brew and Kent Spitfire nothing quite like having a cold one after a hard days work.

Comment

They were selling Master Brew at my local Morrisons for a quid a bottle the other day, on special offer.

Comment

I haven't drank any alcohol in like...8 years.
                When I did though Coors was a nice choice when it was available (I swear a lot of shops don't stock it) and I did have a liking for Bud Ice.

Small body + Too much beer = Crappy hangovers. Every time.

Comment

Coors and Bud Ice. I think these probably are likely to attract complaints against trade descriptions of beer.
                  I've had enough of poorly kept beers in pubs and expensive options in bottles so make my own now.

Built myself a couple of temperature controlled fridges so my nano brewery is now producing top quality nectar.

Comment

Those are indeed rank beers. Excellent home brewery though!!!! Send me a sample, please

Tonight's effort:
                    Wellbeck Abbey Brewery Henrietta, 3.6% = B
                    Hadrian and Border Brewery Secret Kingdom 4.3% = B
                    Harviestoun Schiehallion 4.8% = A
                    Wylam Brewery Hopping Mad 4.2% = B
                    Castle Rock Brewery Harvest Pale 3.8% = B
                    Old Mill Brewery Blonde Bombshell 4.0% = B
                    Wychwood GingerBeard 4.0% = B

EDF! EDF!

Comment

Fine fine I get it no crap beers that's why I scrapped the Chinese supermarket for beer, still went for lager but tonight I have been mostly drinking brewdog Lager 77 (abv 4.9) and yup tastes good but for ?1.79 per 330ml bottle it should be

Comment

I was enjoying the Wild Rose Brewery's offering the other week, my favourites being Velvet Fog and Wred Wheat. Locally brewed in Calgary and not bad at all. I'm no connoisseur though.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with lager but I tend to agree with the Germans and their Reinheitsgebot - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
                          Some of the American type 'lagers' contain rice and corn to remove flavour...why??

Comment

A good lager is great. But too many of these hyper breweries produce tat, where the yeast is killed off and filtered out after about five minutes, and nasty preservative chemicals are injected into the liquid to preserve shelflife.

Some of the best ales I've ever had have been 'lagers'. The difference is, they're treated with respect by their brewers, and actually left to brew for more than a cat's lick.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                              Fine fine I get it no crap beers that's why I scrapped the Chinese supermarket for beer, still went for lager but tonight I have been mostly drinking brewdog Lager 77 (abv 4.9) and yup tastes good but for ?1.79 per 330ml bottle it should be
                              Lager 77 is very nice. Hey evil, I had the first four beers in my list at the Tap and Spile in Fram. You know it? Schiehallion is a lager, I reckon you'd like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X