No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay. I'm going riding at 6pm today. Going to go nuts around my local trails. Kneepads - check. Elbow pads - check. Brain out - check.

Comment

Nice one!

I need some new tires for my bike. I only had my last pair fitted 3 months ago but because of the milage I'm putting in I need some new ones already!

I think one of the reasons they have warned down so quick is because i've found alot more shortcuts to work and they're mainly trails with rough gravel. They're semi off-road tyres but I'm not really sticking to the roads now.

I'm stuck on the correct size to order. It says 26 x 2.1. Do they have to be 2.1 or is that just the size because they are semi-off road? I want something thicker to last.

Comment

To last you need tread depth.
        2.1 is the width. What do you have at the moment? Will 2.1 fit in your frame (probably will)?
        What tyre are you looking at?
        You can get dual compound that are tougher in the middle.

Comment

Almost fell off a couple of times on my ride due to running out of grip, so I got home and changed to my XR4s. Looking forward to the large increase in traction (I was still running my Jones MudX winter tyres).

Comment

Fitted some xt shifters yesterday so much smoother than the slx that was on when I bought it
            The slx are no slouches by any means so there going on eBay at the weekend also fitted some superstar lock on grips top quality
            And recommended as upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
              the front fork is sr xcm v3 100mm travel with remote lockout.

on the suntour website i think its these i have

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...MLO+26%27.html
              These forks only have a preload adjuster on the top of one of the fork legs. There is no rebound adjustment.
              Preload is the amount the spring is compressed before you start. (Rebound is the speed of the damping, i.e. controls how fast the fork can move).

You need to adjust the preload so that when sit on the bike, the forks "sags" down - try about 25% of its travel (put a cable tie around the stanchion if you can't see it properly). This is so that if you go into a dip, the fork can extend. The alternative way (and my preffered method) of doing this is to jump on to the bars my my arms. If they bottom out, tighten up a bit. Then you maximise the travel available and will only bottom out by riding drop offs which I'm guessing you aren't doing.

Comment

A friend who I've been out riding with adjusted it for me so not sure what he's done but the forks feel better.

He said as I get more into riding to see if I can afford some air shocks later on as they feel great compared to coil spring I had a ride on his cannondale but doubt they would last as I have a bit of weight on I'm not a light lad you see.

The bike is fine for what I use it for at the moment, impressed though at how light the frame is.

Charlser, have you had those sealed gear cables fitted yet ?

I've seen a kit for 35 pound to do it myself.

Comment

Not had them fitted yet. Where did you see the kit? Link please?

In theory, a coil spring should be better than an airspring, but coil springs cannot be adjusted, so you need to swap the whole internals to change the spring... Airsprings need to be adjusted as the ambient temperature changes - they firm up in the summer. The main advantage with airsprings is that they are MUCH lighter. However, the tech is new and expensive. The tech is only just prototyping for DH forks because of the safety aspect. Coilsprings can't pop seals!

I think you would do well to just enjoy the bike for a few months till you get used to it before worrying about major changes like forks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    Not had them fitted yet. Where did you see the kit? Link please?

I think you would do well to just enjoy the bike for a few months till you get used to it before worrying about major changes like forks.
                    Its this kit i saw http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24810

I'm going to run the bike as it is and any major changes would be after a year or so. the bike cost me enough to start with, the things i need most is some tools, a mini pump and lubes/cleaner etc.

I still fancy swapping the pedals to them b54s or v8 copies though.

Comment

For me, the interface to the bike is worth spending money on, thus nice gloves and grips, nice padded shorts and saddle, nice shoes and pedals. It makes it a nice place to be

I've been using my SPDs the last couple of rides in an attempt to train myself away from putting the lazy foot down. A couple of heart stopping moments where I almost lost it but instead of dabbing a foot, instead managed to counter steer the bars hard to prevent me from tucking under. You don't see Danny heart dabbing feet in corners unless he wants to slide the back big time.

If you've not seen this vid before, watch it on youtube in HD. I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

Comment

the last comment as the video finished nearly made me spit out my drink

Comment

I watched all the other runs on freecaster. He was so much faster than almost anyone else.

Comment

I fixed my first puncture! Woo!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              For me, the interface to the bike is worth spending money on, thus nice gloves and grips, nice padded shorts and saddle, nice shoes and pedals. It makes it a nice place to be

If you've not seen this vid before, watch it on youtube in HD. I get goosebumps every time I watch it.
                              not seen that before but what a run in that downhill section and the jump at the end but the commentators on the video how pumped up were they.

the grips on my bike are rather good but i was after getting a pair of decent gloves though and those b54 pedals. I'm not that into riding at the moment to use those fancy pedals and shoes.

Comment

Gloves are hugely personal. Try some on in a shop, leaning on handlebars. Feel the palm padding. Check ventilation (or lack of for the winter). Only buy online if they are cheeeeap or if you have tried them before.

Comment

Working...
                                X