No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I just need another tyre like the xr4 on the back as where I ride the trails are varied loose gravel to wet/mud to stones etc in the lines of the trails where I've had the rear tyre slide about even on the flat sections.

thinking an more open spaced tyre on rear Panaracer trail raker 1.95, maxxis medusa, specialized s-works ground control both the latter only 2.1 smallest.

A mate runs maxxis high rollers, had a ride on them and didn't like them, he also has continental speed kings.

Charlesr, what size tyres do you run ?

2.3 front and 2.2 rear overkill ?

Comment

What pressure are you running your rear tyre? Maybe it's too high (or too low). I run mine at 30psi on dry flat trails, but drop down as low as 22psi for wet or rooty trails. Check your sidewall isn't about to collapse by tilting the bike sideways and trying to make the tyre lose lateral grip (brake on). You might notice a slight crease, but any large creases mean it's too low - depends how heavy you are too! I'm 11stone. I'm also very light on the bike, i.e. I won't let it smash into roots, so I don't ding the wheels (I help the bike as much as possible with body position).

My XR4s are 2.2, although as you will have noticed, they are huge. My 2.1 Razers are tiny in comparison.

The thing is, tyres are expensive and a faff to change, so once you find at setup you like, you won't change much.

If you can't get your XR2 set up right, try an ADvantage on the back. I know a few people that run them.

Comment

i think its full 30psi i haven't altered it since i bought the bike, the front is actually a xr4 2.2 not 2.3 but as you say the tyre is huge.

the front isn't running full psi as the inner tube that came with the xr2 tyre is rather small for this big tyre as it feels spongy on smooth surfaces but runs well off road.

i'm way more heavier than 11 stone so i dont want to use a too thin tyre on the rear

Comment

When you squeeze the tyre: orange, not apple.

Play with the tyre pressures. It's enlightening.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good cheap Bike hand supporting Stand?

Comment

Went out riding yesterday and had to chance riding home in the dark from a mates house, so I need to buy some lights.

I looked through the thread but must have missed it.

I'm just after some that are bright to make me seen but easily clip on/off, rechargeable to avoid damage when riding trails etc.

this mountain biking stuff is getting quite addictive.

I hear that the track at hadleigh farm is going to be open to public after the Olympics.

Comment

Sorry super beat boy, no idea about stands (I let the bike shop do everything).

wod, yeah, but they are removing the two rocky sections They should just make another route next to them and mark it BLACK with skull and crossbones.

For bike lights

Front:
                - This
                - This and This

Rear:
                This

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  For bike lights

Front:
                  - This
                  - This and This

Rear:This
                  just had a look at the front light looks very good, i can find them on ebay uk to avoid the shipping from the states but there is loads so i wonder if i buy from ebay i will get a chinese copy.

how does your light mount on the handlebar charlesr ? some are just a rubber o ring mount while some others are a proper bracket to mount on the handlebar which is detachable.

Comment

Just a rubber o-ring. And I tie the external battery pack around the headstock with the velco pack it comes with.

Dealextreme is a chinese website, not US. Got a link to the ebay ones?
                    Also, the ebay UK lenses state that it might not fit the stuff from dealextreme, but I know that the one on ebay US does fit.

Comment

These are the ones i've looked at on ebay

this

this

this

three spot light

wide angle lens

A rear light is included with a couple of the kits from some sellers, because of my seat bag i might need a clip on rear light.
                      Last edited by wod; 13-08-2012, 15:42.

Comment

It needs to say XML-T6, e.g. the one including the rear LED is correct. The P7 is not as bright or efficient. Ignore the lumen ratings, they are all made up BS. That wide angle says it won't be compatible. Get the one I linked to to be sure. It turned up fairly swiftly. You need the wide angle otherwise, you just end up with a death ray pin point of light.

edit: no idea about that 3spot. Looks like 3 spot lights which will be rubbish. You need a wide angle flood or a wide angle lens.

Those other single units will give you more light than you can legally use on the road with a wide angle. (There is a medium setting for the road, or you can just aim it down a bit and stay on full power).

Note: you will get no warning that it is about to run out. Remember to recharge before riding. Mine lasts 3.5-4hrs on full whack.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 13-08-2012, 16:05.

Comment

After buying my canyon in April iv done less than 100 mile on it due to work, health bit of laziness lol, but got back into it last week
                          Man does a few months of none activity kill u once start up again.
                          But have strava on iPhone and discovered the koh sections where people set times ect anything from 0.1 miles to full time trial
                          Having great fun trying to beat some sections. Quite chuffed as I beat one to be top
                          Also going to hamsterly on Saturday first time, unfit so should be quite an experience But hyped for it

Comment

What's hamsterly?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              What's hamsterly?
                              Not heard of it myself from google must be this http://www.hamsterley-trailblazers.co.uk/mtb.htm

Going back to my earlier posts about tyres and pressures well as part of my rides include Tarmac roads I have tried lowering the psi but find a higher psi works better for me as the tyre rolls better as I'm a heavy lad I don't want to be wrecking the tyres already.

Bought another xr4 for 20 online team issue version too fancy trying it on the back or might save it for spare front tyre.
                              Last edited by wod; 13-08-2012, 20:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X