No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smoothness of the change shouldn't be affected by the shifters. Even the cheapest shifter should work fine, even if it falls apart after 6 months. Have you been out in the rain or mud? If so, it's probably crud in your cables.

Having said that, what do you mean by smooth? When I say it, I mean difficulty of pushing the lever. If it's just skipping gears then it needs adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      Having said that, what do you mean by smooth? When I say it, I mean difficulty of pushing the lever. If it's just skipping gears then it needs adjusting.
      It's not the shifters it's the smoothness of the chain moving to another gear on the cassette it's quite noticeable when shifting down to the lower end and then back up again.

I've adjusted the barrel thing on the rear mech and it's slightly better but I suspect the chain is maybe the issue it doesn't look all that decent tbh.

The chain has been cleaned and oiled recently too.

Anything else I can adjust ?

Comment

If changing up the casette (to bigger rings) is already super light on the finger, but you are having trouble getting the chain to move smoothly from one gear to another than I'd suspect a worn part - check for hooked sprockets or slack chain. But how long have you had it? They normally last for ages. If changing down the casette is really clunky, it can be poorly greased rear mech or bent rear mech.

If it was me, I'd just take it to a bike shop and say "Give this a gear service" - they will either get it smooth or say you need new cables/sprockets/chain.

Comment

Only had the bike since start of may and Looking at the bits on the bike it's a mixture of shimano stuff deore rear mech, alivio front chainset and deore shifters and what looks to be a low end rear cassette.

Maybe as its wearing in, something in between is not right with the rest of the gear kit.

I will see how it goes and tinker with it as necessary.

Surprising how cheap upgrade parts are for gear systems.

Comment

Went to Aston Hill today.
            Totally freakin bonkers. Even the XC track was completely crazy.
            There was a nice looking diversion off the XC track which I turned on to and it had a couple of beautiful sweeping corners and then a little sign whizzed past me - "Could have sworn that sign said CAUTION EXTREME SEVERE DOWNHILL??? Oh well, carry onnnnn OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG." Almost made it down properly but had to bottle couple of corners. Turns out I'd just done the Black Run . On my 100m xc hardtail. What a tool. Vid of the black:

I spent most of my time on DH3, which at speed was frankly dangerous on my bike. Loved it. First time down though was terrifying, but at a slightly higher speed the following time was easier due to the nature of the constant drops and roots. Vid of DH3:

My friend on his Intense 951 disappeared immediately every time
            Last edited by charlesr; 08-09-2012, 17:52.

Comment

Those runs look mental, is the xc track difficult for even amateurs ?

Seems you need a full suspension to ride these dh runs.

Been out riding last two days, not had much luck got two punctures in front tyre yesterday one via the sidewall and one in between the tread.

was wondering if these self sealing tubes are worth the money.

a trip to bike shop this week to get 2 spares as running repaired tubes atm.

Comment

The XC track is pretty tough at speed, although being on a long travel full susser would help. It's fine at slower speeds, but won't be very fun.

DH3 can be ridden on a hartail if you have bottle and commit (my friend on a SantaCruz Blur 5" scared himself though if that helps). Basically you have to attack everything with enough power to float through and down, with enough heel and wrist drop to carry the bike through with you, otherwise you'll be over the bars on the step downs or drifting off the track over roots. I thought it was ace, even though everyone was looking at me like I was a nutter. Perhaps I am.

Comment

Why are you getting punctures? Hawthorns? If so, you'll have to change routes - there's nothing you can do about hawthorn.

If not then what? I've not had a puncture in years and I ride all over.

Comment

Maybe but I did a change of course today over gravel path down by local canal, I went for miles and I'm feeling it now in my legs.

the bike light you recommended 2 mates have bought them after seeing mine.

Comment

I mean, did you find thorns in the tyre? Or were they pinches going over a rock or kerb? If the latter, just pump the tyres up more.

Comment

Yeah it was a long thorn In the front that did it right between the tread I noticed the hole once I got home.

Was surprised as the xr4 has a chunky tread pattern.

I've seen kevlar tape you can put inside the tyre but it will alter the tyres rolling on different surfaces ?

I need a better pump, the one I have it's hard to put a high psi in the tyres.

Comment

I tried kevlar tape and chunky tyres on my wife's off road baby jogger tyres because her route went through some hawthorn areas. In the few weeks after they cut the hedges, nothing stopped those hawthorns. She had to go a different route in the end. Massive great things, almost 2cm long

Comment

While repairing the punctures I also noticed the wear on my back tyre, the xr2 must be a soft compound as the centre tread has worn down quite a bit in 3 months of getting the bike.

On the way and back from rides, I must do a couple of mile on tarmac though.

Nearly bought a Panaracer xc fire pro tyre last week was on sale in bike shop, looked decent tread pattern.

Comment

I got those for Lucy's bike. Quite fast rolling and loads of grip for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                I got those for Lucy's bike. Quite fast rolling and loads of grip for the price.
                                Are they any good in the wet ?

its just for the rear i'm after one for.

Comment

Working...
                                X