The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    They look pretty good, especially for the price.

These are even lighter and stop the spray that goes out in front of you which you then ride into with your face.

I use a crudcatcher on the downtube and a massive great mudguard on the rear which attaches to the seatpost, but I take that off when racing.
    I've never used any before but the size of them mucky nutz and the one you linked to is tempting me.

I just wonder with the bender fender how much clearance it gives between the tyre and the guard as the xr4 tyre can pack up on muddy conditions and maybe stop the wheel going round.

I doubt you could fit a hans dampf or rubber queen under one.

On your full sus is it a carbon frame as might need to get a downtube protector ?

Comment

It's aluminium and comes with a replaceable downtube protector.

I've given up trying to use the XR4s in muddy conditions (thus the XRMuds that I still have on).

Comment

I've given up trying to use the XR4s in muddy conditions (thus the XRMuds that I still have on).
        i'm still using it on the front and it was ok in the snow on saturday but had a tendacy to slide out on occasion.

I'm looking to see if i can find an all rounder front tyre for where i ride and have been looking at

maxxis minion more a DH tyre *
        maxxis high roller 2.35*
        schwalbe nobby nic in 2.25
        schwalbe hans dampf in 2.35*

* these i wonder if will fit on the rim and give enough clearance in the fork.

Comment

How about a fat albert 2.25 on the front?

The high roller is a great choice. You'll need the single ply sticky folding ones: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=5845 but... they are't good in mud, so you'll need something else on the back.

How about a Continental Mountain King II? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYCOMTNK...n_folding_tyre

I'm looking forward to trying the XR3 2.35s that come with the Remedy, but I think they will be a bit weak in most conditions apart from the dry, even though they are billed as an all rounder. edit: Although I've just seen that there's a completely updated version on the Bontrager site. It's completely different!
          Old: http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/pro...re-76247-1.htm
          New: http://bontrager.com/model/11640
          Last edited by charlesr; 26-03-2013, 18:56.

Comment

Yeah i've been looking at fat albert 2.25 for the front, because the specialized ground control s-works rear in 2.1 is fine in a variety of conditions.

At the minute i ride local to get my fitness up and it can be muddy, or theres gravel sections and hard pack soil canal towpaths i go for a blast along sometimes.

The high roller only comes in 2.1 and then 2.35 which the latter, i think will be too big for the stock front wheel i have.

Those continental tyres i've read people dont rate them unless its the black chilli compound versions.

Yeah, i noticed bontrager had changed the xr tyre tread pattern for 2013 last year november time i think and it looks better but you might change them to something else that you are used to.

Comment

Was just adjusting my rear disc brake and noticed my hydraulic brake fluid leaking. Now it won't brake at all. My mistake, i adjusted the wrong screw and it leaked out. Is it easy to replace/refill and will any do? I've never had to do it before.
              Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 31-03-2013, 11:49.

Comment

I just take mine to the LBS. Brakes are important

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBeatBoy View Post
                  Was just adjusting my rear disc brake and noticed my hydraulic brake fluid leaking. Now it won't brake at all. My mistake, i adjusted the wrong screw and it leaked out. Is it easy to replace/refill and will any do? I've never had to do it before.
                  Depends on what fluid is used.

Shimano use mineral oil and other types avid etc use dot 5.

while we're on the subject of brakes is it worth the extra to upgrade to m785 xt brakes ?

Due to stupid stock wheels I can only run a 160 disc up front.

A lot of people rate the deore m596 as good stoppers and are less expensive.

I think I need to see what pads are on my brakes, is it sintered pads that are best for all weather use ?

Comment

You should be able to lock the front with a single finger, although you might have to tug hard to get the lock. Unless you are doing long straight downhills at speed, you won't need the extra icing power (anti fade) of the XT. I've only had this problem in the mountains.

Comment

How much does it usually cost to have some hydraulic fluid filled? My locals only list prices for services for standard brakes.

Comment

Thing is, it's not just something you can top up and hope for the best. If it has let air in, you need to bleed it properly. Any air in the system is deadly. Should only be 30 mins work for them though. ?20? Good news is that replacing your brake fluid every once in a while is a good plan anyway.

Comment

You should be able to lock the front with a single finger, although you might have to tug hard to get the lock. Unless you are doing long straight downhills at speed, you won't need the extra icing power (anti fade) of the XT. I've only had this problem in the mountains.
                          what size disc are you using on the front a 180 ?

i'm looking at wheel upgrades merlin have some custom built wheels for a good price using shimano xt hubs, just have to decide on which rim to use with being a heavier rider and going to run a 180 up front.

i've been out recently and done 2, 20 mile rides and think i would benefit more from some better wheels everything else is good enough for what i do.

Comment

160mm at the front: http://gearselected.com/superstar-si...-rotor-review/
                            I'm only 11st though, so maybe that makes a difference.

New wheels: Strip your current wheels and weigh them first to see if it will really make a difference.

Comment

New wheels: Strip your current wheels and weigh them first to see if it will really make a difference.
                              I need to strip a wheel anyway to measure the rim as I want to workout what the max size tyre I can use.

I've noticed on my bike when I'm in the lower gears 8 or 9 the chain has started to tap on the front derailleur as i pedal.

It's annoying, how much tension should there be in the chain ?

I did measure it with the old one and removed some links as necessary.

I'm thinking to tweak the high/ low screws to see if I can move the derailleur more so the chain doesn't rub/ tap inside the front derailleur.

Would this fix it or do I need to fit a chain tensioner thing ?

Comment

So this week, i bought a schwalbe nobby nic tyre in 26x2.25 and i was surprised its smaller than the xr4 tyre in 2.2 this tyre is oversized for 2.2.

the nobby nic is very good and grippy tyre and good at cleaning out mud in the tread, noticed it rolls rather well on tarmac too.

Been out for a couple of very long rides this weekend and i've noticed a little play in the front end when i put the front brake on, new headset needed i think ?

Comment

Working...
                                X