No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. Just get the front one. Riding an unbalanced bike is fine ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      I might try a Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the front next.

No sign of the bike yet Hope my back is sorted by the time it arrives.

I've been looking at wheels for my hardtail. LBS has some Mavic/Hope/DT combos what are 600g at the front. My front is 950g lol.... If I got front and back, I'd save nearly a kilo in rolling weight which would make it much more whippet like. Only problem is that the pair is ?400.... Maybe I'll just get the front first.
      You've bought that trek from lbs, can't they sort you good price on them ?

Superstar have some prebuilt pacenti tesla ultralight xc racing wheels for sale about 280 for wheel set, would those be suitable ?

that is my main next upgrade wheels, I need to do it so I can get faster and improve my fitness.

I've done about 124 miles on bike rides since start of January so far.

Comment

Good point FSW.

wod, I get a good price on everything from the LBS. Including the bike.

I've got some Ultra Mag pedals with titanium axles in my superstar basket at the moment ?108wtf.

Comment

Good point FSW.
          wod, I get a good price on everything from the LBS. Including the bike.

I've got some Ultra Mag pedals with titanium axles in my superstar basket at the moment ?108wtf.
          I think your going to have a lightweight xc bike build coming on soon enough by the sound of your earlier post.

Are you going to run tubeless on the new wheels ?

Should save a little weight there.

have you had any trouble with your dmr v8 pedals, my left one is starting to sound rough.

Comment

No, my V8s have been perfect. I have the greaseport ones, so I regularly stuff some more grease into them.

I might give tubeless a go, but it's so far down the list. It doesn't save that much once you take into account self sealing gel etc. and after watching a friend spend 30 minutes trying to strip his off the wheel when he finally needed to use an inner, I was rather put off.

Wheels first.
            Then ditch the big ring at the front and replace middle with a 34T.
            Then bar and stem. Hopefully I'll be down to a sensible weight after that.
            Last edited by charlesr; 12-03-2013, 15:16.

Comment

My V8s were ok. High maintenance IMO. Can't beat Primo Tenderisers though.

Comment

i was having a browse of bike sites earlier and come across a company called on-one, i like the look of there carbon whippet frame.

A few carbon 456c riders on bikeradar has got my attention.

Do to my size around 16st, i'm wondering if carbon frame are strong enough.

I'm thinking of building me a nice bike and keep the trek for general riding around on.

Comment

on-one are well known for keen prices. Lots of them at the Gorrick races. If you email them, they will tell you if you are too heavy or not for the carbon. If so, then get a fatty bike instead!

Comment

I'm becoming an all weathers rider.

I was out yesterday in the snow and was a fun experience but was thinking at the time was it a stupid idea for a bike ride.

a few occasions the front wheel slid out which was scary and that was with hardly any air in the tyre.

the Bontrager xr4 is a great tyre but could be better, I'm looking at a nobby nic for a change, hans dampf are too big they are similar size to contis rubber queen which are huge.

Comment

Bike is rescheduled for 1st April.....

Back is almost there. Another week to recover I think. I went out for a run, but 1.5miles was enough. Went out on the trials bike which was actually much less damaging to the back than running. Less jolts, as long as I didn't ride off tall things.

Comment

I want to learn to manual long distance. The biggest fear is falling off the back at speed. I think I might have to get my motorbike leathers on

Comment

Bike is rescheduled for 1st April.....

Back is almost there. Another week to recover I think. I went out for a run, but 1.5miles was enough. Went out on the trials bike which was actually much less damaging to the back than running. Less jolts, as long as I didn't ride off tall things.
                          Good stuff, you don't want to be looking at the bike sat there doing nothing once it arrives.

Why has it taken so long to get the bike is it a really custom order ?

I've been looking at full suspension but I don't do enough to want one yet.

Comment

It's just a size that they didn't have in the UK. It's very low volume bike, not like the FuelEX which seems to be the most popular in the full sus range. So they have to ship it over by boat and get it through customs etc.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and went out for 75 minutes. Got muddy. Back seems ok. A bit sore, but not twinging. Fingers crossed for tomorrow....

Comment

mudguards are they worth the bother i wonder but i have come across a company called mucky nutz.

They have come up with a brillant idea, mudguard that straps to the front fork but they also do a longer one that can work as a rear shock guard and seat guard that clips on to the seat rails, they only weight about 30grams too.

Eco-savvy Mudguards, Fenders, and Frame Protection for Mountain Bikes and Road Cycling - Made in the UK, Sold Worldwide!

Comment

They look pretty good, especially for the price.

These are even lighter and stop the spray that goes out in front of you which you then ride into with your face.

I use a crudcatcher on the downtube and a massive great mudguard on the rear which attaches to the seatpost, but I take that off when racing.

Comment

Working...
                                X