No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles just ordered the same light you got, any chance you can recommend me a plug adapter for it. I have no clue when it comes to electricals. Thanks

Comment

Already ordered a light, just need a us to uk plug adapter for it. I have no clue when it comes to electrics. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
        It's a bit confusing I know. I think it looks like an A Headset but probably isn't. The top cover is just a rubber bung.

It's a Diatech headset, but seems to be little info out there about this one. Though this looks similar
        Did you buy the bike new? If you take the rubber cap off the top can you see a star nut in the fork tube when you look down there? If you can't then you could always buy one, along with a compression cap and sort it out yourself. Getting a star nut to sit perfectly straight in the fork tube is tricky though so a trip to your LBS might be a better idea.

Comment

Anyone know of any tried and tested regular or hydraulic disc brakes? My current bike is a Carrera Kraken, pretty rubbish although it is alumnimum and I've changed the truely awful stuff - just need brakes that work now. Might prefer a single brake.. Only have a back brake atm.

I'd get hydraulic v-brakes but there's no mounting holes on my forks or frame for them.

Comment

With discs, stick to Avid, Hope or Shimano.

I have Shimano 422 V's and are bloody good, really good modulation & powerful, power trails off of course when it's pouring down but overall very good brakes.

Comment

Liking the look of these Hope discs.. Look like one would do the job, it's just for general stopping power when cycling to work.

Really tempted to get these because they're so cheap. I'm assuming the disc is included in that price..

EDIT: Okay maybe not. Hm.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 17-11-2011, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                Did you buy the bike new? If you take the rubber cap off the top can you see a star nut in the fork tube when you look down there? If you can't then you could always buy one, along with a compression cap and sort it out yourself. Getting a star nut to sit perfectly straight in the fork tube is tricky though so a trip to your LBS might be a better idea.

Think I've sorted it, there's no star nut inside (by design). The forks are secured by loosening the headbar bolts, pushing down on the handle bar and tightening the compression bolt then secure the handle bar.

Got a creaking crank now!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Really tempted to get these because they're so cheap. I'm assuming the disc is included in that price..

EDIT: Okay maybe not. Hm.
                  Yep stay well away, a decent set of V's will beat a poor set of disks anyday. One of the reasons I bought the Cube rather than the similar priced Trek was the better set of V's over the crappy Promax disks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post

Think I've sorted it, there's no star nut inside (by design). The forks are secured by loosening the headbar bolts, pushing down on the handle bar and tightening the compression bolt then secure the handle bar.

Got a creaking crank now!
                    I've got a clicking pedal. Think it's the pedal as it's a sharp 'tick' noise rather than the clunk of a crank arm. Wouldn;t mind, the pedals are only a year old and they're decentinsh DMR platforms. My old Primo tenderisers lasted years.

Regarding brakes - agree with ampanman, you can't beat the feel of rubber against rim

Comment

Are they the DMRs with the grease points? If so, forget about the amount of grease that comes with it. Just absolutely pack it with grease till it litterally pops the end cap off.

Comment

They are and I will! That'll stop the ticking?

Comment

Depends. Are they loose? i.e. any play? If so, no. But if no play, then I suspect dry bearings.

Other alternative is tighten up the crank bolts (to bottom bracket) - if the chainset/cranks come loose a bit, it causing ticking or creaking, normally only under heavy load - you need to nip that in the bud fast otherwise the inside of the crank bore wears down fast.

Comment

Interestingly, a fairly powerful blast of water to the crank seems to have stopped (or made it less noticable) the creaking noise.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              Depends. Are they loose? i.e. any play? If so, no. But if no play, then I suspect dry bearings.

Other alternative is tighten up the crank bolts (to bottom bracket) - if the chainset/cranks come loose a bit, it causing ticking or creaking, normally only under heavy load - you need to nip that in the bud fast otherwise the inside of the crank bore wears down fast.
                              No play. I'l grease 'er up in t'mornin.

Comment

Working...
                              X