No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience of foldable bikes? after one for the missus, one with larger wheels but still small and light if poss. Thanks.

Comment

That blaze lazer thing looks like a dong floating down the road.

Comment

Indeed it does now you've said that.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
          Anyone have experience of foldable bikes? after one for the missus, one with larger wheels but still small and light if poss. Thanks.
          I had a Dahon M P8, it's a well finished bike with some nice little extra's like reflective trouser clip, tube of paint for repairing scratches etc. It felt totally safe in use - at the beginning!

It would be fine if it was going to be used probably as intended e.g. commute, small rides at the weekend out from the boot of the car etc. I was using it on the commute at four miles each way.
          It's not a great distance but it didn't cope well with the winter grime in my opinion, the Avid V-brakes were poor and one of the rims kept losing tension in the spokes.

I went back to a mountain bike after about twelve months.

Comment

These ones are meant to be quite serious: http://www.montaguefoldingbike.co.uk...bikes/mountain

Comment

Just wondering as it's getting better weather and lighter nights, anyone bought any new bicycle gear for the upcoming summer if we get one ?

I see a lot of new road bikes about but they don't interest me at all.

I'm looking at a new bike but can't decide what I want been like this for last 6 months.

I have upgraded my hardtail to xt gears and definitely worth the money, so smooth shifting and the clutch mech works well on rough trails.

Charlser, have you fancied having a go at some enduro events as you will be fit enough with all the running you do ?

Comment

I've signed up for the QECP gravity enduro (practice in the day, race at night) in May. I don't really have the power, but it'll be good fun.
                I got some Endura Hummvee shorts which are brilliant and have some Northwave SPD shoes on order. Might get some platform SPDs for my Remedy too. Although might try the open ones off my Hammer on it first.

I'm hopefully being sent a carbon CX bike to try out for a month. Hopefully not too addictive.... Otherwise I'll need to start hanging bikes from the ceiling.

As for choosing a bike, better just get something now before the summer if you can afford it!
                Last edited by charlesr; 17-03-2014, 13:02.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                  Just wondering as it's getting better weather and lighter nights, anyone bought any new bicycle gear for the upcoming summer if we get one ?

I bought a 29er at the weekend.
                  Been doing the single speed thing but getting bored of it.

I just got a Cannondale Trail SL5, it was the 2013 model so a good price.
                  Just been out on it today, and seems great for the money and think I am going to like it.

But **** me, what a load of crap the gears are on it!!!

This was my Giant running Deore and XT gear, Deore when it was lighter than the XT kit..

I just took the XT and Deore gears for granted, but got to think about upgrading these.
                  I think I have a new XT front derailleur somewhere, can't remember why I have it though, but hopefully it will fit, then just the rear and the shifters to buy!!

Comment

Oh, and the weight will take some getting used to, the Giant above was just under 19lbs, this was half as much again.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      I've signed up for the QECP gravity enduro (practice in the day, race at night) in May. I don't really have the power, but it'll be good fun.
                      I got some Endura Hummvee shorts which are brilliant and have some Northwave SPD shoes on order. Might get some platform SPDs for my Remedy too. Although might try the open ones off my Hammer on it first.

I'm hopefully being sent a carbon CX bike to try out for a month. Hopefully not too addictive.... Otherwise I'll need to start hanging bikes from the ceiling.

As for choosing a bike, better just get something now before the summer if you can afford it!
                      is that a mistype or do you really mean cyclocross bike ?

Endura hummvee shorts are excellent they are my first proper mtb shorts with the click in liner for some padding in needed areas.

Theres too much choice bike wise, is why i'm stuck.

I like the thought of doing my own build using a nukeproof mega tr frame with some rs pikes. looked at norco and lapierre in evans but nothing compares spec wise to canyon.

maybe i should just go a head and order a spectral or strive.

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                      I bought a 29er at the weekend.
                      Been doing the single speed thing but getting bored of it.

I just got a Cannondale Trail SL5, it was the 2013 model so a good price.
                      Just been out on it today, and seems great for the money and think I am going to like it.

But **** me, what a load of crap the gears are on it!!!

This was my Giant running Deore and XT gear, Deore when it was lighter than the XT kit..

I just took the XT and Deore gears for granted, but got to think about upgrading these.
                      I think I have a new XT front derailleur somewhere, can't remember why I have it though, but hopefully it will fit, then just the rear and the shifters to buy!!
                      looking at the spec of your new bike the rear mech and shifters arent the best but just use them until they break. check the gear indexing as a new bike should shift good with the cables being new.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                        looking at the spec of your new bike the rear mech and shifters arent the best but just use them until they break. check the gear indexing as a new bike should shift good with the cables being new.
                        On the XT gears there was one very obvious click for each gear, all very easy and very precise, this just doesn't feel like it is snappy enough if that makes sense.
                        I also think the brake levers were the gears too on the XT group set, but can't remember now!!

Comment

This: http://www.eastwaybikes.com/product/...bon-road-bike/

Comment

Looks nice, are you getting it for free ?

if I was to get a road bike I'd have to fit a flat bar handlebars to it as I'm too used to mtb handlebars.

I'm hoping the local places I ride dry out soon so I can fit a racing Ralph to front of my bike for more speed.

The back tyre is quick and scary when the rear steps out on muddy bits.

Comment

Quite pleased that Waltham Forest and a couple of other North/East London boroughs are getting millions pumped in due to permission granted for 'mini-Holland' status.

Should make some of my commutes less life threatening!

Comment

Not to keep. Just for a few weeks to review.

Comment

Working...
                                X