The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (ish) bike time.....

Don't think it was too bad for ?75 (from a friend of a friend who runs an outdoor activity centre and they replace their old bikes every 3 years or so). Got to spend a few quid on a few things (pedals, mud guards etc). Seems to ride o.k.

Comment

I love the look of those GTs. For ?75 looks amazing. I could spend ?75 on pedals

Comment

Very nice GT, GT!

Looking at replacing my front fork with a rigid & dropping a kilo+ off the weight.

Comment

Good deal at ?75. Saddle looks a bit casual rider friendly but otherwise a steal.

Comment

The saddle looks suitable for <tom baker>A WOMAN'S BOTTOM!</>

A steal at 75 notes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
              Very nice GT, GT!
              Thought it was appropriate.

Originally posted by smouty View Post
              Good deal at ?75. Saddle looks a bit casual rider friendly but otherwise a steal.
              Originally posted by FSW View Post
              The saddle looks suitable for <tom baker>A WOMAN'S BOTTOM!</>
              A steal at 75 notes though.
              I think it's the standard saddle, it didn't seem to bad - however I do have a big arse!

I was worried about getting a 2nd hand bike, but the condition is great - gears look hardly used/or cleaned well.

Comment

I'm selling my Car and going to start biking it to work, it's a 5 mile trip to work everyday but I think once I'm in the routine it will be good. I enjoying cycling in my spare time and I need to start saving up for a deposite on a house, but while I'm renting I'm finding it hard to save. So selling the Car is the only option for me really, on top of the money I'd get for the Car I'll be saving ?300 a month because of no insurance, fuel etc!

Here's my current bike, it's showing it's age a bit now bit it's still got some life left in it.

It's a Kona Mountain Bike

Comment

Good man. You might need to put some of the proceeds to one side to cover the odd tyre and part replacement, plus waterproof clothes and decent lights.

Comment

And put some road or semi-offroad tyres on to make your life easier.
                    Conti double fighters are good low-cost rollers.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                      I'm selling my Car and going to start biking it to work
                      I started to cycle to work properly in July (only missed a few weeks due to cold and broken wheel!). I don't miss driving to work at all, in fact it's pretty much the fastest way for me to get to work. I've still got the car, but I only use it at the weekends.

I've managed to shift 1.5 stone since starting to cycle (whilst still eating much the same crap as before) and I've only had one cold since I started - so overall very happy with cycling.

I know some don't like mudguards but for road cycling they are worthwhile. Nothing worse than a gob full of road water (mainly oil and diesel!) on a wet day.

Comment

Yep. Full size mudguards and panniers on a 700c hybrid with pretty slick tyres is my iron steed these days. Get to work dry, not sweaty (from a rucksack) and no mud all up your back. Tyres pumped hard means that it almost rides itself (work is only a couple of miles away though).

Comment

This is what I have to use for commuting due to train journey. Still better than walking or driving though.

If I get in early enough I can also use one of these.

Comment

Cool, thanks for all of the positive replies.

I've just had some semi-off road tyres fitted and I think weather wise the worst of Winter is out of the way now.

It's gonna be hard at first but looking forward to the new life style. It's pretty much up hill all the way to work but the way home is fun and quicker than being stuck in rush hour!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
                              and I've only had one cold since I started -
                              This. Since cycling only a few times a week I am shaken off almost every cold my family have had in the last 6 months. I have felt better than I have for years and can't wait to get back to it. (when this current cold leaves, I know i know)

Comment

Looks as if cyclists in Bristol should be safe for 2 1/2 years.....

Comment

Working...
                                X