Should All Advertising Be Banned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should All Advertising Be Banned?

A few days ago I was discussing advertising with a friend of mine studying psychology, and she explained how her class are exploring the strong evidence that low self-esteem and materialism are connected, that, in general, the more people buy the less happy they feel, and the less happy they feel the more they buy, that materialism is a self-defeating and perpetual circle, and advertising is the treadmill feeding people onto that circle.

She told me polls indicate that happiness among Americans has been in steady decline since 1955, the same year the following philosophy: "Our enormously productive economy... demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption... we need things consumed, burned up, replaced and discarded at an ever-accelerating rate." was put into effect and began driving the economy.

Now I've long disliked adverts, believing whenever we want something we are less happy than before we wanted that something, and since adverts are all about making us want all they do is make us unhappy. But up until recently I didn't realise just how strong an impact they seemingly have on the happiness of mankind. So should they be banned? (this is clearly a rhetorical question, I realise it's never gonna happen, we live in an age where money is God and consumerism is the common religion, every one of us is brainwashed into feeding the economy and evaluating people based on their contribution to that economy).

I did want to put a poll atop the thread but am too ignorant to know how.

I think completely destroying our country's economy and the subsequent loss of tens of thousands of jobs would have a far greater effect on peoples happiness.

So yeah, I'd keep adverts.

Comment

Without consumerism you can forget about video games being made .

Can only speak for myself but I am very happy that I have a roof over my head, without advertising I can assure you I wouldn't. The thing is that consumerism is a natural survival instinct that has kept the human race alive for thousands of years, it's just in a different form. We survived by hoarding food for the time ahead, you could never have enough supplies. Modern goods are just a replacement for those, savings devalue at a significant rate so they don't ensure future protection. I don't see it as replacing spiritual satisfaction because I don't think there is such a thing myself, this idea that we are somehow spiritual creatures just doesn't wash with me. We're apes with opposable thumbs, I feel good if I have a full belly and a secure environment to ensure future survival - nothing spiritual about that. I admire the beauty in nature because plants indicate a good harvest not for any spiritual reason and so on.

It's worth bearing in mind that academic psychology is full of BS, there are a large number of lecturers and academics who produce deeply flawed work that doesn't hold up to detailed study with errors in basic scientific process that they then claim to hold so dear. It's so bad that a psychologist I know was heavily marked down because she pointed out a basic flaw in some studies that later turned out to contradict the idiot markers assumptions in their research so he threw her findings out as "clearly wrong." It's a field where you do well to be a yes-man who backs up the "respectable" "experts" in the field. So always take what those kind of people say with a pinch of salt as there's often contradictory studies that they refuse to acknowledge.

The important thing about advertising is it allows the little guys to get noticed. If it wasn't for advertising people would never hear about smaller companies and everything would be dominated by a few big name brands.

Comment

Nope.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Calling for the banning of all ads is very difficult. What then is an ad? A sign outside a shop? A show that features product placement? It's a very general term.

But there's a good point in your post. What we're sold most of the time is that something, an item or service or food whatever, will make us feel better - will make us happy (after usually showing us why we should be unhappy). But the whole system relies on this not being true. If I used an all-new fancy panty-liner and it actually gave me real happiness, the system would shut down because I would no longer need those other things to make me happy. It has to fail for the system to work, relying on making us feel unhappy, as you say, which kind of sucks. And it tells me that the system is pants and that we can do much better than what we've currently got. The 'roof over my head' stuff is only due to the system of rules we have created that work around this. That's just a trap.

I don't watch TV ads. Haven't seen a whole ad in a long, long time. I hate them. I found it interesting to find in the first book by David Ogilvy (ad guru) that he agreed with me that television ads are an intrusive pain in the hole. And I think the ad-supported system has been really bad for TV, leading (as we see now with illegal downloads) to the perception that entertainment is free. It is, of course, not free to make. I also have serious issue with advertising to children, which has become a fine art and yet young children can not fully process what they are seeing. Another ad guru, Alex Bogusky (did the subservient chicken, remember that?), quit the business entirely a couple of years ago seemingly over this issue, thinking it was completely wrong. And he's not the only one. If the top ad guys don't even like them, well, that speaks volumes to me.

Many ads are a pox.

Looking back, I think, for me, the day I saw banks doing lifestyle choice type ads was the beginning of a very slow apocalypse.

Comment

The generation that decided to ban adverts (and probably the two or three generations that followed) would pay a price, crappy economy, high unemployment, increased crime, and so on and so forth, no doubt, but it could be the catalyst that eventually creates a better value system in later generations. Our value system today is fu**ed, we hear the word 'successful' and we immediately associate it with money, when surely a truly successful person is a happy one, an honest one, a kind one, not a wealthy one?

Bluemonkey, yes, not all academics and studies reflect reality, but many do. As to the question of people being spiritual beings, there is an area of the brain, scientists believe, which is primarily designed for spiritual experiences, indeed it is that area of the brain that most seperates us from our closest cousin, the chimpanzee, in other words it is that part of our brains that most makes us human.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              crappy economy, high unemployment
              This is exactly what we have right now so let's not be under any illusion that the current system works and to change it would be teh d00m. Those ads haven't saved us yet.

Comment

Haha. That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  Nope.
                  This man.

Comment

Well they can stop showing any ads on Ch5 during 'Milkshake'.

Even my daughter was exasperated with the amount of ads that were shown!

Comment

Ads targeting children should have been banned decades ago. Let their parents decide what the kids need.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        Nope.
                        I agree. It's simply a ludicrous suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          Ads targeting children should have been banned decades ago. Let their parents decide what the kids need.
                          That's such an old person thing to say

Ads on kids TV programs are exciting when you're a kid. Seeing all the different Tomy RC cars was awesome. Making Christmas lists in March. It was brilliant

Comment

Heh I have a different perspective: Transformers ads, where along with the toys, the kids had some crazy backgrounds / landscapes and sound effects adding to the excitement in the ads. Same goes for the Thundercats and He Man toys, at least in print (can't remember the TV ads for them). I'd love to see a thread where people post the most misleading kids' toys ads.

Comment

Adorno called advertising psychoanalysis in reverse, instilling rather than removing neuroses. But I do wonder who might be in a position to ban it: nothing less than a world government perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X