Astronomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
    So I finally got my scope. Decided to tone down my choice to get a more entry level based one without GOTO features so I can learn the skies properly then if I feel I'm into it all enough I will upgrade to a scope and mount in the ?1000+ region when the time is right.

I got the SkyWatcher Explorer 150PDS with EQ3-2 mount about 2 months ago but have been at home for about 1 week since then. I built it all up and took it outside that night but it was kinda cloudy and I didn't have a clue what I was doing either so couldn't see much!

Hopefully I'll get use out of it in the winter at least when the conditions are better for it.
    Great stuff, you'll be addicted in no time once you get clear skies, and the early darkness in winter is definitely a huge help. Last Friday was the first clear night I've had here (London) for AGES! It was the first properly clear night I've had since the start of June, every other night has been fairly cloudy at best, usually nothing but cloud.

My mount does have a GOTO system but I'm trying not to use it at the moment. Like you I want to learn the skies by eye much better. It can be pretty difficult but it's brilliant when you finally find something all by yourself.

I was very lucky when I first got my scope as I just randomly picked an object in the sky that looked fairly bright, and it turned out to be Saturn! There's no going back once you've seen something as beautiful as that through your scope.

Comment

Im thinking of heading to Galloway Dark Sky Park in November, for a 3 day break, inclusive of everything , hotel, meals and travel to the park.

Comment

Perseid meteor shower tomorrow night. Here's where to look in the sky.

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
        Im thinking of heading to Galloway Dark Sky Park in November, for a 3 day break, inclusive of everything , hotel, meals and travel to the park.
        I've thought of doing something like that. There's a place in France that has a load of top range telescopes and astrophotography equipment for the guests to use, I'm very tempted to spend a week there sometime soon! http://www.sunstarfrance.com

Comment

The france place looks awesome, dark skies , climbing and mountain biking sounds like the perfect holiday to me.

Comment

The astronomy photographer of the year 2012 competition took place yesterday. Lots of photos on The Telegraph website.

The overall winner was an amazing photo of The Whirlpool Galaxy. It's "a tad" better than my effort from earlier in this thread

Top notch video slideshow on the BBC as well.
            Last edited by EJG1980; 20-09-2012, 10:41.

Comment

There are a couple of interesting astronomy related bits on the BBC site at the mo'.

How about a 570 MILLION (!) pixel camera ...

The 570-million-pixel Dark Energy Camera snaps its first image ahead of a survey that aims to unravel one of the Universe's biggest unknowns.

Mars rover latest ...

The Curiosity rover makes good progress towards its first major science destination on Mars, taking pictures of the planet's moons on the way.

Comment

All your galaxies belong to us ...

The Hubble Space Telescope has produced one of its most extraordinary views of the Universe to date.

Comment

I watched the latest episode of The Sky at Night yesterday and they've started The Moore Winter Marathon, a list of fifty night sky objects to spot over the winter months. They've split it into two groups of twenty-five, one with naked eye / binocular objects and the other with telescope objects, so anyone can join in.

Last night was the first clear night at the weekend we've had for ages, so I managed to tick a few off the list, although it was all stuff I've seen before so nothing new yet. I really want to get a good look at the Crab Nebular and try to take a photo of it, it's something I haven't got around to seeing yet.

Comment

Just happened to read in the paper that scientists have found a planet some 40 light years away, which is apprently 30% made up of diamonds! Now we just need to develop warp-drive cabable spaceship and go get it all.

Bam! Economic crisis solved!

Comment

Shouldn't there now be an instant devaluing of diamonds? Second we get that warp drive, diamonds will be common as muck.

Comment

Apparently, there are plenty on Earth (don't know if this is true or not): http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-russian-find/

Comment

And here I thought I was on to something big...

Maybe we could fool some alien species with all our bling and steal their planets, sorta how the Europeans traded worthless glass beads to the Native Americans.

Comment

As well as the diamond core the surface is thought to be covered with graphite, so if we can find a way to get there (and brave the 2000+ Celsius temperature) we'll be sorted for pencils too.

Comment

Hello

I am really interested in astronomy i have always wanted to but a telescope , i am a complete noob and this is my first telescope.

I have a budget of ?400 , can anyone help me find one that can easily view jupiter saturn with rings, maybe some nebula and faint distant objects,

What sort of views can i expect, as i have looked at a few like this one

First Light Optics - Suppliers of Astronomy telescopes, binoculars and accessories from Skywatcher, Celestron, Meade, William Optics, Atik, Imaging Source, Starlight Xpress, ADM, Moonlite, Catseye, Hutech and others.

I can find some images that people have taken using a cemera, but i understand that the human eye cannot see such detail in and in colour, i was hoping to find out what i can expect to see with the naked eye on a clear night.
                              I am also hoping to take a few pics any help picking out the right score ect would be really welcome

thank you
                              Last edited by yesteryeargames; 13-01-2013, 12:21.

Comment

Do you have acess to clear viewing skies? If not do you have transport to the place where you want to be doing your observing. The usual advice is to start with a cheaper pair or binoculars and tripod and see if you enjoy it before shelling out hundreds of pounds on something you may not use.

Comment

Working...
                                X