X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicky - Software Developer / Team Leader

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Good work ethic is fine , but leaving school now and trying to get in the Work ladder to when most of us here (gamers in their 30's) is a lot different .Lots of Factory's have pulled out, there's less shops in the High Street, less apprenticeships and so on, its now very hard for people to get on the work ladder even if they've been installed with good work ethics

I wasn't talking about kids now TA, I was talking about how it was back when we were young, you've taken that the wrong way. That said, there's no doubt in my mind that this generation is less inclined to get off their arses and get a job as the media has made them believe they're too good for anything other being an X factor contestant, footballer or 'model'.

And yes, I know that doesn't apply to everyone.............

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
        Definately. I know people with great degrees having to work in the local pub earning too little to fully support themselves. Part time jobs, at least here, do seem to be up for grabs all the time but competiton is fierce - the tiny shop my girlfriend works at paying minimum wage gets inundated with cvs every time there is a job opening (and part time at that).

The worst thing for us youngsters seems to be that unless you have experience, you can't get a job (even shop work), but you can't get experience without a job. Sure, you can do voluntary work/work for free but that ain't going to get you off support, be it from parents or the govt, and it still doesn't guarantee a paid job at the end of it either, as my girlfriends brother with a 1st class masters has recently found out - the company he was at just isn't getting the business it would need to take him on too.

I'll admit its something I am quietly ignoring at the moment and will need to overcome in the not too distant future myself...
        Trouble is even Pub work is becoming less and less with the all the Pub closers . I agree with you comments is so hard to get work and many companies won't employ you unless you have worked or are in work, even Saturday jobs are hard to come by these days . I feel very sorry for the School leaver of today

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          I wasn't talking about kids now TA, I was talking about how it was back when we were young, you've taken that the wrong way. That said, there's no doubt in my mind that this generation is less inclined to get off their arses and get a job as the media has made them believe they're too good for anything other being an X factor contestant, footballer or 'model'.

And yes, I know that doesn't apply to everyone.............
          I'm just saying that when we were young there were manyore opportunities to get a job due the Heavy Industries, bigger High Street and the Factories around then , in many cases they're simply aren't there any more. Also I will agree with you on the benefits culture that's grown up;Where for some teenagers if you want to fly the nest and get some money just have a baby and get rewarded by the state with a Council House and most of your bills paid for by the state , rather than work for it

I still think most teenagers in the end would like to work though and its really really hard for them to get on that ladder , not helped with the fact that people now have to work longer too before retirement

Comment

EvilBoris- Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              EvilBoris- Satanist
              Well, duh! Everyone can see that satanic avatar.

Me? I'm a lottery-winner-in-training.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I'm just saying that when we were young there were manyore opportunities to get a job due the Heavy Industries, bigger High Street and the Factories around then , in many cases they're simply aren't there any more. Also I will agree with you on the benefits culture that's grown up;Where for some teenagers if you want to fly the nest and get some money just have a baby and get rewarded by the state with a Council House and most of your bills paid for by the state , rather than work for it

I still think most teenagers in the end would like to work though and its really really hard for them to get on that ladder , not helped with the fact that people now have to work longer too before retirement
                Synthesthesia: Animation Student

I've lost count of the amount of jobs I applied for and didn't even receive a rejection letter, they just don't even bother. I've only managed to get temp work at Royal Mail during the busy christmas period, and that's only for a month. I did work for my ex-girlfriend's mother though, who was an education consultant or something like that. And she basically employed me full time for around 2 years.

The work was ****, but it was easy (typing documents etc, which I'm really fast at), and so long as I did all of the work on time my schedule was flexible and I got paid the same regardless.

Honestly speaking, I'm more considering getting a bunch of mates and trying to make an indie game.

Comment

Chariot racing when I go out (need some blades for side) and keeping the nhs doctors busy!

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                    endo - Translator.
                    Cool. What language / languages? Translating, or interpreting, or both?

Anyway, tomato - English teacher.

Comment

Zombie-NOVA?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

IT Program Manager in the Finance industry out of Boston although in NY at the moment. Started off as Developer, and still one at heart. Keeping my coding upto date mainly as a hobby nowadays - XNA and MVC applications.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                            Cool. What language / languages? Translating, or interpreting, or both?

Anyway, tomato - English teacher.
                            Just translation- interpreting is a whole different kettle of fish and translation can be stressful enough on its own.
                            I do French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.

Comment

Working...
                            X