Digitiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digitiser

For those of you too young to remember, Digitiser was an awesome gaming magazine available on Teletext. Teletext was a completely unawesome way of seeing basic text pages on your TV and (until TVs came out that cached pages) annoyed you by switching pages more quickly than you could read them.

Digitiser was totally bonkers with many pages being penned by "guest" characters such as the amazing Zombie Dave (who was basically an excuse to get expletives on to teletext under the radar) and Mr T.

It also had letters, many of which were real ones sent in by readers. Remember, this was back before internets and forums and real time stuff kids!

At one point Digitiser had a shortlived feature about ideas for educational games designed around famous historical moments.
    Here's my favourite idea sent in my Rhondda Boogie (??wtf). (Note to kids: Before Syndicate was released in 2012 as an FPS, Syndicate was a revered isometric top down 3D game. If you don't understand what isometric top down 3D means then er... google?)

Here's some archive stuff:
    Last edited by charlesr; 12-08-2012, 08:55.

I loved the final page of Digi before it went:

Haha, superb.

The best thing about games journalism; sorely missed and never close to being replaced. It was a daily fix, and characters such as The Snakes (I cuss you bad), Mr T (stay away from my bins), Morse and Lewis, Computer Boy and Fat Sow were brilliant reads. The Ring Sir (iirc) feature had some early Charlesr-style phone-based mischief, too.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 12-08-2012, 08:54.

Comment

Digitiser was a wonderful thing. I especially loved the snakes. It's where I got most of my gaming info back in the day.

Comment

Digitiser was brilliant, think we should set the forum to auto scroll pages in a loop.

Comment

Haha

A few months ago I found the entire last day's articles somewhere, but it's eluding me. It is, however, on youtube.
          Last edited by prinnysquad; 12-08-2012, 09:20.

Comment

It was responsible for most of the banter between me and my best mate when we'd play multiplayer games. You know, when you used to go round each others houses and sit in the same room. We'd always be quoting the best gags as put downs against each other. The humour was brilliant, there's a big interview with the guys behind it somewhere on the web, interesting to see how people were always trying to shut them down! Pretty sure at one point the readership was MASSIVE too.

Comment

I used to get up early to read it before school and then before work. Such an entertaining read. There was a BBC one too but that was really straight laced and lacked the fun.

Comment

I was a huge fan too. Man Diary was legendary! Ring Sir, Mt T and his Bins, Insincere Dave and some good honest reviews. I loved those pages.

Comment

Digitiser was the best thing you could use your TV for, I used to be such a teletext wizard I knew reams of page numbers off by heart.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    I loved the final page of Digi before it went:

Haha, superb.
                    And this was suitable content for kids?????? I never caught the last day of digitizer/ser, but I visited it quite frequently. Also loved Bamboozal, that had some really daft questions on it I seem to remember.

Comment

What's wrong with a worm being sick?

Digi was hilarious and it's good to see some of the pages again on this thread.

Comment

Hopefully these flicky pages should work.

Comment

I wrote in and made it onto the page...dont remember what about now...but Biffo ignored my letter and just took the piss out of my surname! I was livid at the time

Comment

I was just about to ask if anyone ever have a letter published. I did too (well an e-mail) and also can't remember what it was about.

Comment

Working...
                            X