No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not having much luck. Twisted my ankle really badly just before my comeback race. It hasn't been the same since. So not much running but lots of mountain biking fun. Whilst sitting around feeling sorry for myself, I wrote a few things. One of them is about how you need to run slow to run fast so that you increase your aerobic capacity, at least of most of your runs. You can then run further and faster, but it takes a long time to start noticing the differences.

Comment

Wrote an article about fartlek training definition. Currently almost back to running after the ankle issue. Ran 5K with the Husky yesterday now that it's cooling down. Plus another about how to calculate your tempo pace.

Comment

Holy moly, I put my foot in a puddle yesterday and the ground under was uneven and I rolled my ankle again. Had a bit of a cry. Now time to avoid getting overweight again.... Sigh

Comment

Bloody hell Charles you certainly have some bad luck. Hope you get better soon.

Retired my last shoes after 439km, gave them a good wash and scrub are are like new so they will go into everyday use.

Got some new ones and in keeping with the forum rules enclosed a pic.

Comment

I wrote a geeky article about how to increase running cadence, including a video on actually how to move the legs and feel the muscles working.

Comment

Anyone else struggle to run during the winter months on tarmac?

I've been a runner for around 10 years and started back in 2012 at a gym during my lunchtime break. As such, even sometimes during winter, I was able to go for a run with limited frost or ice on the ground as mid day tempratures usually brought temps back from freezing. I now WFH full time and love going for runs before work but have limited oppertunities now to run during my lunchbreak. As such, notice my runs and fitness falls of a cliff during the winter now as I just don't like running during freezing conditions as if I have one little slip, my confidence goes and I just turn round!

Anyone have super human grip levels or do they bail like me?

Comment

[MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] there are shoes you can buy with little studs for ice. Saucony and Salomon I think. Probably not great if it's just ice here and there though. You could make your own with some short screw hex bolts in some old trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] there are shoes you can buy with little studs for ice. Saucony and Salomon I think. Probably not great if it's just ice here and there though. You could make your own with some short screw hex bolts in some old trainers.
                  Yeah, I've considered more hardcore shoes (I tend to stick with Nike Pegasus X as they're comfortable and grippy and I buy 1 new pair a year) but as my run route is 80% tarmac, 10% road and 10% off road, it felt like there's not a shoe that may do it all. And my situation is just when it's icy that it's a real concern and I stop.

I may have a look at some Nike Trail shoes, although I still don't feel they're get that grip right on icy roads and paths.

Do you tend to have an on road run route, and suffer the same in icy conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                    Anyone else struggle to run during the winter months on tarmac?
                    I've been running for twenty-eight years, just doing Sunday's and all Bank Holiday's at 0700, about three years ago added in Saturday's as well.

I only run outside and go whatever the weather rain, wind, sleet, snow, ice and so on.

Currently icy underfoot, today not too bad yesterday quite bad, during the cold snap before Chrimbo it was very bad.

During these conditions I run in the road, always facing oncoming traffic. No ice at all and so no grip issues. This time of year I do more main roads and streets (summer route is more park work) which in the mornings at weekends are fine for traffic levels plus the added bonus of cycle lanes on the main roads, In the streets only really see taxi's mainly at that time. I can always jump back on the pavement for a few steps if need be.

Only other precaution I take with ice is I wear some elbow pads which are quite large and cover a fair bit of my arm too.

It depends of course on road conditions near you, perhaps I'm lucky, anyway good luck with it.

Comment

Enjoyed reading this, if only I was twenty years younger and my knees were in better condition I would have fancied a go. Wouldn't have a world beating time but just for the opportunity of giving it a go.
                      No website, no rules, no official route, no spectators. The Speed Project, a 350-mile race between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, has become the hottest event in ultra-running.

Comment

Yeah, read that this morning. Crazy. Type 3 fun.

Comment

Current runners are almost at 400k so time to get some new ones, therefore keeping to the forum rules;

Comment

A year and a half later:

So, around a year after joining the Gym I quit. It was becoming inpractical with the kids routine and my weight was just walking backwards regardless of the effort put in. I've been in zero exercise mode since then

For the last 3-4 months I've been taking a different approach: Semi-Starvation

I'm too fussy and eater to eat 'healthy food' so switched to just either eating a child-sized portion or skipping the meal altogether. Horrible. But that was the point, to basically take a two week window and push myself past the craving stage. From past experience it's always been easy to cave and set myself back so it's been more a case of getting to a point where I feel that pull to eat less.

I essentially aim to weigh in each Sunday when I wake up, midday and sometimes mid-afternoon to get an accurate idea of where I stand and then in the evening have something decent to eat to avoid it feeling relentless also. It means that I don't feel put back by having something I shouldn't and tend to feel more motivated in the days running up to when I know I'll be weighing myself.

Some days I've had a small meal at tea time, some days something at lunch time, sometimes nothing all day but the main bit has been not letting the sense of hunger last a long time and keeping it small when I do. I'm at a point now where if I had, say, a pizza - I'd be feeling full at the 3rd slice or so. As a result, finally been making some movement. Typically 1-2lb per week so it's been a stone lost over those 3-4 months which is a faster pace having taken a whopping 2 years to lose the prior stone and a bit from my peak.

Still a long way to go but if this was something that consistently worked it would be around 3-4 stone in a year so time will tell.

Comment

That's great Neon.

Something that's worked well for me is getting a full set of resistance bands. Working from home its so easy to just sit and eat. But having those bands in my office and stopping to do hammer curls or whatever has really helped my health.
                              Been about 6 months now and I'm stronger and my body shape is changing. I'm not doing a crazy amount or anything, just consistent, everyday. I'd recommend to anyone.

Comment

As long as it's not making you feel tired or unable to do an activity due to lack of fuel, you should be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X