No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see this thread busy post Xmas and New Year!

Gorgeous day for Parkrun today, though sadly no PB (6 seconds off).

Have a 16 miler planned tomorrow to kickstart the long marathon training runs again. Need to get back to some strength training too.

Comment

Boom!

17 mile run conquered. Went really slow at 10 minutes per mile, but felt all the better for it. Will stick with this distance for another week before upping it again.

Comment

legs absolutely hammered on the slopes today. Was trying to keep up with a friend who is a bullet... I failed.

Comment

Good work Taka!

How is your body feeling now? What sort of warm ups / warm downs do you do / how long do you prepare your body before you do a long route like that?

Charles, we could try to get together at somepoint if you like? Not for a couple weeks cause im just back to work tomo, but sometime Feb or March, if you fancy another running buddy?

I feel my general fitness is pretty good now - so from next week im starting to focus more on my muscle building :-)

Aww, feels good to be getting fit again!

Anyone recommend any good Iphone running aps?
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I feel top notch at the mo. Was mega hungry when I got in immediately afterwards but a good lunch sorted that out.

For warm up, I like to jog gently for half a mile or so to get the blood pumping and then will do some dynamic stretches, essentially exaggerating my leg movements to extend their range such as kicking my bum with my feet etc. Warm down consists of a short walk and static stretches, particularly heel drops on a kerb to stretch my calves out.

I've been consistently running longer distances for a couple of years now so my body is quite used to the hammering it gets throughout the week and the long run each Sunday. I possibly could have gone to 18 miles today but I didn't want to tempt fate any further!

Comment

Adam yeah would be great. Love stuff with people that are better than me. Spurs me on. Send me the best number to get you on

Comment

I need to start to get fitter. Been on a diet since the beginning fo July and have lost 79lbs in weight. Feel so much better for it but need to get fitter. My problem is that I have never been able to run without getting completely knackered really quickly. Guess I need to work on my cardio

Comment

Dude, losing that weight is awesome! Congrats to you man. Losing weight and then, more impotantly, keeping weight off - is never easy - so you better be bloody proud of yourself.

In regards to running: running is absolutely f*cking horrible to start with. I remember last year trying to get fit again I simply jogged around the block, barely a mile, and I coughed my guts up. After a couple of days I managed the same route and felt okay... after a week I doubled the route - It hurt, but I did it.

Now, when i run, it is one of the few moments of the day i feel like i'm weightless, like im floating, totally free.... It is amazing. It still hurts. I still struggle. But it is a nice struggle...

So in my opinion, running is the very worst and very best type of exercise. It is horrible to start with, so hard, so painful... but keep at it, and you will honestly find something more rewarding than you could have imagined. It doesnt just make yourself look good, that doesnt matter - simply a bonus - a good run can totally turn your day around :-)

Comment

Charles! dont say that, im not a better runner than you. I was actually hoping you could teach me a thing or two! Like you say, working with people beyond your own skills is awesome - I need that from you!

My times have been quick, but thats only because I push myself to the extreme limits on those runs. I dont have anything to go by, so i run until im sick, ha! Which is not good! I need to learn to run properly, to judge my distances, to keep a steady pace when i need to.

Cant wait to train with you matey!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                      Anyone recommend any good Iphone running aps?

Coupke of quid, remember to turn off advertising or you get bombarded

Comment

This may seem like a stupid question but do you really need running shoes? I say this as I have some gortex trainers for walking and wondering if they would do the job as have to start training for my visa medical!

Comment

So this is sort of fit club i guess....

Im starting to get back into training in the gym, it been a long time sinse i last was on any program. Im going for a 5X5 program, wrote it up last night to take with me to train. Its taken from JasonDB over on BB.COM

Workout A
                          Squat 5x5
                          Bench Press 5x5
                          Barbell Row 5x5
                          Barbell Shrug 3x8
                          Skullcrusher 3x8
                          Chins 3x5-8
                          or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
                          Hyperextention 2x10
                          Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
                          Squat 5x5
                          Deadlift 1x5
                          Standing Press 5x5
                          Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
                          CGBP 3x8
                          Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8
                          Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Comment

Originally posted by Nishimori View Post
                            This may seem like a stupid question but do you really need running shoes? I say this as I have some gortex trainers for walking and wondering if they would do the job as have to start training for my visa medical!
                            I'm gonna say yes. Running shoes are designed to help you run more easily and potentially avoid injury. You don't need to spend mega pounds to get the latest whiz bang shoes and there are some great offers out there. My rule of thumb is go to a proper running shop and have your gait and feet analysed and stick with what they recommend.

Comment

when current bout of man flu finishes I'm going mental on the training.. reckon I'm probably 2 stone overweight at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
                                I'm gonna say yes. Running shoes are designed to help you run more easily and potentially avoid injury. You don't need to spend mega pounds to get the latest whiz bang shoes and there are some great offers out there. My rule of thumb is go to a proper running shop and have your gait and feet analysed and stick with what they recommend.
                                Thanks for the feedback, will have a shop around and see as I doubt its a good think if you damage your feet with the wrong footwear.

Comment

Working...
                                X