No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should include a roller-blade category in the marathon.

Comment

I'm probably part spasticated but my bizarre need to eschew the gym in favour of nearby objects is developing further avenues. I'm already getting busy on an unpacked flatpack bathroom cabinet at home and my shoulders n' stuff are bulking out, but I'm now doing reps with the wheelchairs at work (the heavy, theft deterrent ones), just seeing how many times I can lift them completely off the ground, managed 11 times today, they ARE very heavy but not through difficulty, more because I would probably have been sectioned had someone caught me, had to do them in the lifts for fear of not looking a tit!

Definitely got more swagger in my Jagger now!

Comment

I like the idea of your stealth exercise regime.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          I'm probably part spasticated but my bizarre need to eschew the gym in favour of nearby objects is developing further avenues. I'm already getting busy on an unpacked flatpack bathroom cabinet at home and my shoulders n' stuff are bulking out, but I'm now doing reps with the wheelchairs at work (the heavy, theft deterrent ones), just seeing how many times I can lift them completely off the ground, managed 11 times today, they ARE very heavy but not through difficulty, more because I would probably have been sectioned had someone caught me, had to do them in the lifts for fear of not looking a tit!

Definitely got more swagger in my Jagger now!
          I hate the gym too.

The downside to your tactics is those objects are not the most 'posture friendly' to pick up. There is no point in bulking muscle to the detriment of your ligaments/joints.

Comment

^Ooooh, mate, I know EXACTLY what u mean! Did my back in in 2005 when I decided to attempt to lift an exercise bike full-on, rampantly. Didn't know I'd f*cked my lower back 'til the next day, was out of action for MONTHS(!!!!!!!!) Yeh, them wheelchairs, I'm being careful now, just lifting them to the 'two wheels dangling' state, just doing more reps cos I'm not stressing the lower back like I was with full lifts.

Originally posted by Kieran76 View Post
            I like the idea of your stealth exercise regime.
            Man, it's the BEST! Got a new addition to the repertoire, a big box of ice pops.

Nobody'll remember but a few years back I started a thread asking where I could buy Mr Freeze ice pops, it went on for a few days but then frazzled out, and I never bothered even bothering to bother bothering buying any, I just lost total interest. BUT, on nights, I got my mate to get me a box of 'em from Amazon, 80X90ml (don't know how much in weight, **** hot at the Countdown numbers game but never pursued maths - anyone know in lbs/kgs?) But it's proving good in a 'toning' way, it's heavyish and is good for the more underdeveloped areas, it's subtler than my other methods.

Comment

Knocked out a 19.3 miler yesterday (target was 20) in the build up to the London Marathon. It's incredible that I'm currently able to do this sort of mileage whereas only a few years ago, I'd not run since my school days. It was hard going on my own, only having the Marathon Talk podcast to keep me company and an inadequate breakfast and not carrying enough gels didn't help. Still, glad I soldiered on and I imagine the feeling during the last couple of miles will be similar to how I will feel on race day at London.

Saying that, I think I'm going to hang my marathon shoes up after April. I love running but I'm finding the time sink of marathon training too much of a burden on the rest of my life. Will stick to half marathons me thinks, where a long run may take me up to 2 hours compared to almost 4 hours. My body can take the training, it's just everybody else out there in my life that can't!

Comment

Good going on the 19 miler. It's a great distance. Love it. Just about doable.

Just back from adidas HQ. They've launched their new mid-sole "boost" tech to replace EVA. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but after trying it, I'm now convinced it's a game changer. The marathon record will be set in shoes with boost this year I reckon. The shoe is out at the end of Feb. I'll try and rack up a few miles in it before then.
                Last edited by charlesr; 13-02-2013, 22:38.

Comment

Last two runs have felt like I was in someone's body.

Could barely make 4miles yesterday and literally had to push through agony today. Not normal at all...

I managed 13miles this weekend with not too much trouble... but have been working lates all week and have done two all-nighters.... and my body seriously isnt liking it one bit.

Lesson learned I think... Home tonight for some sleep and some rest - some good food... and hopefully back to normal running this weekend. Feel pretty bummed by it though - a horrible feeling, quite gutting :-(
                  ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Get yourself a training programme off runnersworld.co.uk or something. It will include rest days

Comment

Smashed my PB on my home Parkrun course by about 15 seconds today for a 20:37 finish. It was a mighty field today, finishing 65th whereas I normally finish at 35th or so. Still about 10 seconds off my all-time PB of 20:26 at Cardiff, though I'm slightly dubious of the distance measurement the last time I ran there...

Adam, it's always good to take an easy week once every 3 - 4 weeks. You feeling shattered and not like yourself is the body screaming for rest. A couple of years ago, I just went out running as often, as long and hard as I could sustain and I was a wreck with injuries and illness constantly. In a nutshell, I was overtrained and plateaued very quickly. Take some time off and come back fresher to become stronger.

Comment

Nice one. That's quite some pace you are getting to. How's the Marathon training going?

Comment

Thanks Charles. The marathon training is going well. Have a 18/19 miler planned for tomorrow and will make sure I fuel up adequately.

I have the Bath Half in 2 weeks' time and I'm strangely calm about it all. Aiming for a sub 1:40 and all signs are pointing to "yes". Found out my hotel is next to a night club though, so I've requested a room as high up the building as possible for a decent night's rest!

Comment

Ear plugs. As long as you can hear your alarm.

Comment

Completed 20.7 miles earlier as marathon prep. Had a massive Indian meal last night so there were plenty of calories in the tank, topped up by 4 slices of toast this morning and an energy drink. Took a bottle of water and some gels out with me and everything simply clicked into place. Only complaint is that I was slightly over-dressed and probably could have done without the compression shirt and a t-shirt would have been more sensible. No such thing as wrong weather - just wrong kit!

Comment

Did a mountain bike race today as my first proper rides in months. Blimey it was tough. Super technical. Being fit for running does not translate to biking! Great fun though. Now need to figure out how to balance training for MTB and stay run-fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X