No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cramp is most often due to either over hydration or under hydration, causing salts imbalance. However, to get it all over like that is rare and you should see a doctor straight away and get a blood test probably.

Are you eating enough? Losing 3kg at your weight and size is quite a lot.

Also, what do you eat for breakfast? Did you eat breakfast cereals before - often they are fortified with vitamins and minerals that you might now be missing out on. Maybe you need a vitamin / mineral supplement. Today's cheap vegetables are intensively farmed and contain less nutrition than they did 50 years ago.

Finally, do you know what is causing the high blood pressure? Is it clogged arteries, or something else?

Comment

I did eat breakfast cereals before, but to be brutally honest with myself my former diet was atrocious. I would typically eat all the bad stuff and leave all the good stuff, so I doubt I was getting what my body needed. I have completely reversed that now, so it's hard to believe I am worse off even without cereal.

I don't know what's causing the hypertension so I'm trying the diet change until Xmas to see if that helps. No results so far.

Comment

As Charles touched upon with the cereals, refined and unrefined carbs are modern man's primary energy source. There are of course good carbs and bad carbs, with good carbs like brown bread, quinoa, brown rice etc, and bad carbs like white sugar, crisps and cake. It could simply be that moving over to a paleo diet has forced your body to adapt to using fats and it's simply not quite there yet.

Sometimes throughout the year, I'll go out for a long run of over 10 miles without breakfast and with low carb intake from the day before and I'll feel as weak as anything. My head will be in a mess too with dizziness and lack of concentration.

Perhaps give the adaptation some more time?
        Last edited by Taka; 28-09-2015, 12:22.

Comment

I think it's worth delving into the high blood pressure more. How do you know it's high? Was it tested?
          If it was tested, then your next step should be a cholesterol test.

Comment

Tested repeatedly over the course a few years, steadily increasing year by year until this year when it came in at 180/120. My family has a history of hypertension - dad and both grandads died of strokes, mum is on inhibitors.

Note that the yearly tests were manual (done by a nurse) but I have sporadically tested myself with the automatic machines. They seem wildly inconsistent though, if there are three machines in a row and I try each one I get three massively different readings (up, down, back up again)
            Last edited by Darwock; 28-09-2015, 22:05.

Comment

Spoke too soon to friends about not getting injured... Rolled my ankle inwards on a dodgy camber off road and messed it up. Whole foot hurts. I thought I'd do some bike rides instead but have somehow done my achilles (lump). It's getting better by not using it at all, but I'm like a coiled spring of pent up stuff.

Comment

Did a review of the Mizuno Wave Ekiden 9, which is amazing. Looking forward to racing in them (once my foot gets better which it is showing no signs of doing at the moment. Going out of my mind).

Comment

Bike lights.

What should I get? The crap Lezyne ones I had have had it. Basically I need something that will light up the roads through Richmond Park when it's night-time, so ideally something with a reasonably wide beam. I'm pretty familiar with the roads and there'll usually be no traffic, I just need to see if a deer is about to leap out at me. But also something reasonably compact because I don't want some monstrous thing on my bike. No more than ?100 for a front/rear set, or so.

Pretty flashing/pulsing patterns on the rear light are a plus because I am really shallow like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

[MENTION=3138]toythatkills[/MENTION] http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-l...015-model.html
                    Not the brightest, but for the price and compactness, it's great. I've got a similar chinese knock off but the official magicshine ones have come down in price so much that they are the best option.
                    For the rear I have a Bontrager Ember.

If you want to splash the cash, led lenser sent me one of these bad boys: XEO19R The bar mount is the best on the market, being in the middle. And daftly bright. ?200+ though!

Comment

Cheers, I'd been looking at the magicshine but it seems like a bit of a faff with the separate battery pack, since I commute to work on my bike and so taking it on and off all the time would be annoying! Might just go for it anyway, it seems like as good a value as I'd get for light/price.

I was in the park last night in the dark and the fog and it was hilarious. I couldn't see more than three meters ahead and nothing to either side. At one point I could see so little that I pressed the button on my light to put it on its highest power only to find that it was already on its highest power. Totally mad.

Comment

So after being a thoroughly lazy bastad ever since Chloe was born I finally got my backside back in the Gym on Saturday & it felt like I'd never been away...well aside from my current lifts being about a 3rd of what they were last time I trained & felling sore EVERYWHERE lol

It was a blast though & it makes me wonder why I'd been away for so long.

Cannot wait to get back into it properly.

Need new gloves & Lifting straps now though, my old ones are long lost

Neil

Comment

I think it comes with a frame mount for the battery pack. If you want to experiment with single unit devices there are loads out there, like the ultrafire http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r_1_11&sr=8-11 But you'd need to buy a couple of 18650 (one for your pocket!!) from www.flashaholics.co.uk and a charger, plus a handlebar mount.

Well done [MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] !!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Well done @Soundwave !!
                            Thanks man, can't believe it's taken me so long but already itching for my next fix...getting the bug bad again

Start digging out the BB DVD's now for the pre-workout inspiration.

Neil

Comment

Remember to ramp up slowly with both number of sessions and intensity, to avoid injury. Stay safe man!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Remember to ramp up slowly with both number of sessions and intensity, to avoid injury. Stay safe man!
                                No worries buddy will do.

On a 3 day split & back there on Wednesday then not back again until Saturday so hopefully be fine.

Hoping my muscle memory kicks in quickly & I start getting back to where I was.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X