Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    It is are you a local lad Garf?

I've pondered getting my old Minolta slr out a few times but I'm well out of practice with film, plus I keep forgetting to actually buy some, in the end it's just so much more convenient with a dslr.
    Yep, I am certainly am - about 10 miles away in Shotgate. Spend a lot of my photography time in Chalkwell, Thorpe Bay or Shoeburyness. Often see the kitesurfers around Shoeburyness as well.

A few old ones from along that way..

Forever by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Stitches by GarySmith70, on Flickr

All My Ex's by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Yep a DSLR is more convenient, and for certain stuff, much more suited (especially while I am still learning with film) but am enjoying the challenge...

Comment

Some lovely shots there Garf. I do love the pier, such a great piece of Victorian engineering.

Is that a full frame camera you were using?

Comment

Thanks, and yes, the pier is pretty special. Need to get back there soon.

Nope, The pier shot was with my original camera, the Nikon D40 and the others with my D90. Would love a FF, but can't justify the cost of the camera, and then the lenses - could take my kids back to Disneyworld for the same money !

Comment

Originally posted by Garf View Post

All My Ex's by GarySmith70, on Flickr
          I really like that one. Since it's from film I'm guessing there was no post production done?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Few from Sunday, man i love my 35mm prime, such a versatile bit of kit.
            Is that about 55mm when using a DX based camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              I really like that one. Since it's from film I'm guessing there was no post production done?
              That's actually a digital shot, so there was some post processing to convert to black and white.

This was a 41 second exposure using a 10 stop ND filter with a soft edge 0.6 graduated ND filter, so the water looks very calm, and the sky is slightly darker than the water. It was a foggy day, so the horizon effectively vanishes and the sea and sky merge into one.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                Is that about 55mm when using a DX based camera?
                That's correct, the 55mm prime is about 75mm too from what I understand. That's a Nikon d7000 im using.

Comment

Great shot, I've been tempted for a while to get something like a 10 stop ND (probably the Lee Big Stopper), but big price usually puts me off.

Comment

Now put a few on Flickr so you can see bigger versions of Panasonic GX1 (with X lens) photo examples if you wish.

Comment

I'm still not convinced by these micro 4:3, sorry Charles. What mode were you using as the ISO on your images are all 160?
                      That is a hefty price to pay for a smaller form factor which currently would buy you a D3200 and a couple of lenses or a D5100.

Comment

Here's a shot of me atop Snowbird peak in Salt Lake City from three years ago...

And one out in the middle of freaking nowhere, staring at the salt flats...

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm still not convinced by these micro 4:3, sorry Charles. What mode were you using as the ISO on your images are all 160?
                          That is a hefty price to pay for a smaller form factor which currently would buy you a D3200 and a couple of lenses or a D5100.
                          For me, the most important thing was the small form factor (but needing it to be better than my Ixus). I would not have lugged a large camera to the beach or up a volcano. I just left it on automatic most of the time. It does a pretty good job of noticing the "scene" so it defocuses the background for you if it senses portrait, but you can quickly tune the f-stop with the jog-dial. I'm sure a larger camera would give a better picture for the money, but the colours are fantastic - exact match to real life as far as I can tell, apart from the deliberately saturated sunrise pics. I paid ?530 including delivery and a 16GB superspeed sandisk SD.

The 4th photo with some friends of mine getting their bonus cheque on stage is at 1600. Looking through the rest of the photos, there are a variety for ISOs. I've just added a couple of others (the bedroom and the "Lei" ceremony) which are at intermediate ISOs (again, using the auto mode).

Comment

Micro Four Thirds is a fantastic system. My GH2 uses the same system and can pull off better shots that my mates Canon EOS Kiss X6i. The greatest thing about Micro Four Thirds is that is is a million times better for Video due to the lack of a mirror and has very fast auto focusing. Plus the cameras are smaller and easier to use. At first I wasn't sold on them but after trying the GF2 I was sold then moved up to the GH2. The only real down side to the Micro Four Thirds system is that anything above 3200 ISO can look more noisey than conventional systems. Even still I'm a very happy man using the Micro Four Third System. Amazing broadcast quality video (with the right lens) and pictures that are fantastic. The shot below is is not edited in anyway at all. No post production. Sharp as a pin with great colours and contrast.

Full resolution shot at 4608 x 3456 pixels available here - www.segagagadomain.com/auction/action-pose.jpg (it's almost 10MB in size)
                            Last edited by Yakumo; 01-05-2013, 12:43.

Comment

I never considered video but a million times better?
                              I get your point though.

I would be quite happy with video of this quality TBH

Comment

yeah, a million times better is a bit of an exaggeration but it can sure be up to broadcast quality with the right lens. I did a video around the temple area of Chofu where I used to live. Some of the footage is really nice. Keep in mind I'm no pro so in the right hands it would look much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X