The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm convinced by m4/3 :-)

Best camera in the world is the one you have with you and I simply wouldn't carry a big DSLR around. Coming from a film background ISO 400 is fast and ISO 1600 is insane. These days a lot of people seem so be absolutely obsessed with low light performance but that's actually really low on my priority list.

Comment

Indeed, there is very little point in going for an APS-C camera DSLR over the 4/3 systems, unless shots per charge or Viewfinders are high up the list for you.

Comment

The 4/3 system cameras do come with a view finder (a live one at that) if you go for the higher end models. Mine does and I do use it at times but since I wear glasses I tend to use the touch screen with real shutter button most of the time. I don't have to take off my glasses then
        Last edited by Yakumo; 01-05-2013, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          Indeed, there is very little point in going for an APS-C camera DSLR over the 4/3 systems, unless shots per charge or Viewfinders are high up the list for you.
          Unless of course you want to pay less, have better and a bigger choice of lenses and benefit from the larger sensor.

Comment

Yeah dedicated lenses are a much smaller range than for e.g. a Nikon or a Canon system. m4/3rds can have any manual old film lens fitted to them via dirt cheap, non-image-quality-reducing adapters though which is a bonus. I use a 50mm Canon FD f/1.8 as a portrait lens on occasion. No AF of course. Horses for courses. If you're REALLY into your photography then you want as big a sensor as you can afford so you can have super DOF control. I consider m4/3rds system to be an excellent compromise though.

Pay less though? Really? Equivalent specced APS-C sensor DSLRs are cheaper than e.g. Panasonic G Series? Not saying you're wrong, just that I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
              Unless of course you want to pay less, have better and a bigger choice of lenses and benefit from the larger sensor.
              It's the lenses and sensor that do it for me, really want to go FF this year but I still reckon my ten year old S2 gives the smaller sensor machines a run for their money, maybe an exaggerated example as the point and shoot will compress more but our 7mp Lumix point and shoot is ****e in comparison to the 6mp S2.

I'm no 'photographer', my camera is there to take pictures of the things I'm interested in, I'm happy to lug my gear around airport perimeter's to get the aircraft shot I want.

Yep at the end of the day it all boils down to what does it best for you.

Comment

I recently went full frame, but I still had to replace my lenses as they don't work quite the same.

Comment

Know that feeling! (though I replaced most of my old lenses around 6 years ago).

Currently having a moment of indecision about a lens. The 24-70 f/2.8 L MkII - there's ?235 cashback available on it present, so thinking about selling my 50 1.4 (?190 someone has agreed to at work), 24-105 f/4 (probably ?500 on ebay) and spending my christmas money on it (?310). I'd 'only' owe about ?500 after all that and there's a camera shop in the Bristol area that does interest free for 12 months. Damn tempting cash back.

Plus I've finished paying for my bike this month and there's the potential for a fair bit of overtime in the next few months. I know I should be sensible and save it.
                  Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 02-05-2013, 23:41.

Comment

I'm slowly going through my photos I took in Aso last week. Here's two panoramic shots that were put together from 6 photos each. They've been reduced in size for the forum. The original size is 12754 x 1864 at 150dpi

Click the images to see larger versions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

A few from my recent loitering around the airport

Fly Niki A320 by Scphoto_uk, on Flickr

Flybe Embraer ERJ-175STD by Scphoto_uk, on Flickr

Air Berlin 737-800 by Scphoto_uk, on Flickr

Comment

Nice shots GT, pick for me is the BER pig.
                        Last edited by Anpanman; 05-05-2013, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
                          Currently having a moment of indecision about a lens. The 24-70 f/2.8 L MkII
                          Very nice lens - you can get the Mk1 2nd hand for around ?800 now - might be worth considering as a cheaper alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
                            Nice shots GT, pick for me is the BER pig.
                            Thanks, not heard the 737 referred to as Pig since my plane spotting days!

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            Very nice lens - you can get the Mk1 2nd hand for around ?800 now - might be worth considering as a cheaper alternative.
                            It was tempting to look at one of them, but the ?235 cash back plus selling my 50mm for ?190 and having ?210 in savings knocks it down a lot. 0% over 12 months from Clifton Camera probably helps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Garf View Post
                              Yeah, cheers, would love to see that.
                              Here you go, mate. two sneeky low resolution shots from Hard Off today. Click the links to see the larger image with prices.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Nice one, cheers ! Looks like a right treasure trove.

That Oly OM1 in the bottom left looks good - get it !

Comment

Working...
                                X