No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some stuff from the Nikon D7000 with the Nikkor 10-24mm f3.5/4.5 superwide lens.

Comment

So you got the wide angle in the end then marty? i had the kit 18-55 for a week and was surprised by how wide everything appeared at 18mm, didnt keep it though as i was after something longer not wider so swapped it for the 55-200 for the birdy shots. Wide angles deff have there uses, especially in rooms etc where even a prime is a bit too zoomed in.

Comment

I got the 10-24mm and the 70-200mm F4 L IS. Most of my photography is in the 17-70mm range, so I'll get more use from wider than telephoto. 10mm (15mm on DX) is amazingly wide.

Comment

I was going to get the 18-200, but ended up getting the 55-200 for ?100 instead, which worked out very good value for the few times I've actually needed that focal length. I always end up using the 35mm 1.8 though, such a lovely bit of glass for the money. Theres been times when i COULD of used a wide angle, gotta weigh up whether i NEED one however, the answer is usually no, dam you cameras and your addictive lenses.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 16-05-2013, 15:14.

Comment

Superwides are definitely not for everyone, you need to know that you're going to use it and understand the limitations, such as the distortions you'll get, before spending ?600 on the Nikkor (I hear good things about the Sigma 10-20mm too which is about half the price).

Distortions like this:

Last edited by MartyG; 16-05-2013, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Yeah, so it turns out my best offer was accepted on the S5 - I've now completed the set. S2, S3 and S5
              Good lad, chuffed for you - and yes you are correct there's and S1 as well!

...but I think you've got the main ones, Fuji really started cooking with the S2 onwards.

Comment

It has arrived ... but I forgot to bring a CF card with me - tip top condition, only 2000 shutter releases on it.

Comment

Always wanted a fuji pro. Looks lovely.

I just nabbed the Panasonic 14-140mm. Now my gh1 is complete.

Comment

Hmm, I don't have any 4/3rd cameras ...

You can pick up the S2 Pro for under ?100 now, although it's a quirky setup with its two different battery types - fun camera to use though. In fact, you can get a job lot of 20 of them on eBay at the mo.

Comment

Hmmmm. Is there an equivalent (in 35mm film terms) of a standard 50mm lens (not too expensive either) to go with an S2? I'd love to have an old-skool setup like that.

Comment

A 35mm lens would give you roughly 50mm - the S series are Nikon F mount. These are about ?150 though. (2nd hand one for ?120 here)

Not sure whether the S2 meters with old lenses as I've not tried it - if so you could go down the adapter route (M42, Pentax K, OM) and get a manual lens 28mm or 35mm on the cheap.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 17-05-2013, 11:02.

Comment

Are the adapters glassless?

Comment

Yes usually (at least the ones I have are), but that does mean that the older lenses won't focus at infinity in many cases.

This one has glass though, so it may correct for that.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 17-05-2013, 11:27.

Comment

Hmmm, regardless of how important that is in reality it'd annoy the hell out of me. So, I'd need a proper dedicated 35mm then. I'll scour for second hand bargains. So, < ?100 is typical for an S2 now?

Comment

Yeah, and the S3 Pro for around the ?150. S5 ?250-400.

Comment

Working...
                                X