No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd never seen that DF before. That's really nice!

I keep thinking that I should make the switch to Nikon, even if their name does bring hated and disgust flowing through my brains

Comment

The DF divided the Nikon camp but I like it, even though a Nikon D610 is probably a better buy.

Bit chilly outside today

Comment

I think Canon Currently has 3 models

6D "Enthusiast"
        5D mk III "Semi-Pro"
        1DX "Professional"

Then price ascending current models the D810 which is pitched against 5D
        Then the D750 and the D610 kinda sit either side of the 6D in terms of performance/price
        The D4s as the Professional model as an alternative to the canon 1DX

DF is a special show off model.

Comment

I think if I had the cash I'd plump for the Sony RX1 over the Nikon Df, despite the fixed lens.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            I'd never seen that DF before. That's really nice!

I keep thinking that I should make the switch to Nikon, even if their name does bring hated and disgust flowing through my brains
            Hehe, Nikon's are not all bad! For the last few years I think Nikon have had the edge over Canon overall but I think the pendulum will swing back again at some point. Just my opinion.
            Come over to the dark side!

I'd been after a FF for a while to upgrade from my S2 Pro and was looking at a D3 secondhand. When rumours began circulating about the D600 I became interested as to what the specs would be but also dismissive as I thought it would simply be a 'toy'.
            When it finally came out and more importantly when the reviews started to appear, I had to eat my words, at the time it had the best base ISO performance of any DSLR including the mighty D4 and D800.
            Lots of specs that the higher end machines had - f8 focussing, weather sealing and the wonderful Nikon auto ISO. The only things it seemed to lack were the latest focus module and it had the narrow focus array of the APS machines plus no 1/8000 shutter speed.

I eventually bought a D610 and results are immense, really happy with it.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            I think if I had the cash I'd plump for the Sony RX1 over the Nikon Df, despite the fixed lens.
            Think 'd go for a D750 Marty.

Comment

If you look over at DXO mark, the Nikon sensors thrash everything else, the D810's sensor is the best overall sensor they have.

Comment

Made by Sony

Comment

Yep Boris that's one of the reasons Nikon are trumping Canon at the mo.

I also look at these two sites for lenses and sensors, personally I think it's easier to navigate than Dx0 but that's just me. They apparently have their own custom built kit for testing.

camera lens review digital photography lenscore dslr len rating ratings scores digital camera lenses ratings nikon rumors canon rumors sony rumors carl sigma zeiss tamron tokina schneider kreuznach

Yes Marty Nikon do use Sony sensors in some cameras, think the D4 and D4s use Nikon though.

Comment

Welland Winter Scene.

Comment

To be fair you can't go wrong with nikon or canon, or even Pentax make some great dslrs, and Fuji have been making awesome smaller units like the x10 range or x100 range.

It usually just comes down to certain foibles you'll find unforgivable, tolerable or prefer.

Comment

Oh defibately , any of the big brands have good models, but being a product that now is driven by technology we can see that there are companies that are edging further ahead in sensor tech.

There is almost a 3ev difference between competing Nikon amd Canon lenses.
                        I'm looking forward to the day that the dynanic range is so good we don't need to worry so much about exposure as we take a shot. HDR in a single shot at full resolution on the sensor

Comment

Yes models from Olympus and Pentax have good reviews and some cracking features on-board.

Think where Canon and Nikon have the edge is that they have system backup in that there are loads of accessories and lenses available both from the manufacturers and third party.
                          Then of course if you want to move up and go exotic (I was going to say 'join the elite' but then had second thoughts!) then you have the pro bodies and lenses including Zeiss.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
                            Then of course if you want to move up and go exotic (I was going to say 'join the elite' but then had second thoughts!) then you have the pro bodies and lenses including Zeiss.
                            My good friend Carl pays the bills, I still don't own a camera lens though of his though.
                            I'm off to Germany next month to see him, it's always good fun, we've got a new museum there now.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              My good friend Carl pays the bills, I still don't own a camera lens though of his though.
                              I'm off to Germany next week to see him, it's always good fun, we've got a new museum there now.
                              Hehe, I'll bet Marty has!

I used to have a pair of Zeiss bins - excellent, shouldn't have given them away!

Comment

I do

You can pick these 50mm M42 lenses up pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X