The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    Wow that's mad that's over 25,000 a year...I'd consider that high mileage even for a Diesel let alone a petrol
    Standard manager level company car mileage to me, or sales person, or someone who commutes a fair distance. My work colleague Chris has a 2006 VW Passat with 193k on the clock currently. My commute is about 80 miles per day, so before I worked at least one day per week at home, I was racking up close to 25k per year myself.

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
    I went straight to VW finance but the low end polo's were too expensive for what I need it for and being honest if my job interview went okay I probably won't need the skoda but will have to keep it for another 3 years
    Mine was nine grand for an almost three year old car with 28k on the clock. Mind you, only reason I took the VW finance was that the dealership were throwing in three years worth of free services and MOTs into the package, I could have paid for the car outright there and then. But might as well save my money a little, and take advantage of their generosity, considering the interest rate is about 7% over two years.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I got my new car in December and I've done 20k miles on it so far.

Comment

Thats really nice Soundwave, would deff consider one if looking for a newish car as i've hear good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          I got my new car in December and I've done 20k miles on it so far.
          I don't miss the days of doing 35,000 miles a year at all. Do miss a new company motorbike every six months though.

Used to collect a new motorbike and book it in it's 600 mile service three days later.

Soundwave, saw your car (and colour) in the flesh so to speak today, lovely colour as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            Mine was nine grand for an almost three year old car with 28k on the clock. Mind you, only reason I took the VW finance was that the dealership were throwing in three years worth of free services and MOTs into the package, I could have paid for the car outright there and then. But might as well save my money a little, and take advantage of their generosity, considering the interest rate is about 7% over two years.
            I wanted a blue motion or at least zero road tax car and for a slightly new one it was too much, best small car there is apparently with the fiesta a close second by all accounts

happy with my wee skoda and the 0% makes it sweeter, plus Arnold Clark called me offering free two year service and car mats which is a bit of a bonus, I just have to buy a boot liner and im all set

Comment

Lucy's car lost power on our way back from France. Very odd. Didn't do more than 60mph and didn't sound healthy.

So it's still in France (RAC are organising either repair or bringing it back to the UK).

The Opel Insignia hire car was er... functional. Great mpg (1200km tank range) and comfy, but wallowed about like a whale and the diesel vibrated the whole car under acceleration (probably only me that noticed). Surprised they haven't been recalled for being dangerous - people could die of boredom while driving them.

Anyway, no idea how long it will be, so looking for a car to buy immediately. Either 3k or so for just a few months thing, or 7-10k for a 2+ year thing. Paying cash. Needs to be 4 seats, fast/handle well and interesting. Probably japanese. Up to 60-70k miles (if the cam belt has been done). Almost certainly not a hot hatch which makes things a bit limited I know (so no Pulsars, Clios or Fiestas etc). Ideas please in case there's anything I've forgotten.

If this DC5 was in the UK already it would be ideal: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...c-pack/4361485 Also considering EVOs, another Legacy, Forester STi etc.
              Last edited by charlesr; 03-09-2015, 15:08.

Comment

Just had a go in my brothers new motor, RenaultSport Megane 250.
                A little bit nippy that one! It kind of wants you to mess about with it as it has lap times and g-force recorders on the display, so naturally it's best to test it out properly

Comment

chrysler 300c. v6 3l diesel or go the full hog with the 5.7 v8. lot of car for not big bucks

Comment

Was looking at Monaros for the big V8 feel, but she doesn't like the look of them. Someone at school already has one of those 300, so that's off

I loved the Megane at Silverstone until it rained and then it was a deathtrap.

Comment

My friend has an Evo 8 FQ 300 and that is mental. Yes it's tuned to 350+ but it goes like a rocket and still manages to be comfy. ?1000 service coming mind.

The DC5 could be a good choice, roomy, smart looking and fairly comfortable for what it is. It also runs pretty much the same K20 powerplant as the EP3 Civic Type R so parts readily available.

Another similar option is the 2005 Celica GT. Pretty similar to a DC5 in many ways. 190ps but that engine does need revving. Lots of parts around as the 2zz was used in the Corolla too.

DC5 for me. Although it's not exactly a car that will give you a kick.

Comment

I have a Celica GT, great car and they look awesome. The little boost you get at 6500 revs is great fun. Practical, loads of boot space and economical. Road tax was about ?260.00 if I remember. Pretty rare car as well, you hardly see any around.

....unfortunately some dumbass in a lorry backed into mine recently and smashed the spoiler off. It has been deemed a drivable total loss by insurance. The car is fine, just a broken spoiler, but the repair centre quoted ?4200 to repair it.....

Anyway, the stock car is great. I recently had mine supercharged though, so not exactly the same car anymore ..a safe tune at 300bhp.

Comment

What? What did they want to repair? The entire car?

Comment

Greedy repair companies basically. They wanted to replace the whole rear bumper as it had a small scratch (They are ?45.00 on Ebay, could easily be retouched as well) , the boot had a small dint in the top where the spoiler got pushed down (can be pulled out and resprayed easily) , they wanted to fit another brand new boot as well. Obviously the spoiler as well as it was destroyed, brand new from Toyota ?900.00 ....you get the picture.

Anyway, I went back to the same place that quoted ?4200 for the repair and they quoted me ?1600 as a none insurance repair lol.
                            Last edited by SUMIRE; 05-09-2015, 09:53.

Comment

That's disgraceful. My local bodywork charges the same amount for private or insurance jobs. That sort of behaviour pushes everyone's premiums up.

Comment

I'd go to one of those "smart" repair companies, they can do wonders for dents and scratches

Comment

Working...
                                X