No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided on a "new" car for Lucy. She's getting a Subaru Legacy GT Spec B WR Limited. Bit of a mouthful. It's a Japan import. Twin turbo automatic, with steering wheel gearchange and tiptronic. It has a 2 map ECU with eco mode, so it will actually return more mpg than my Impreza in normal driving even though it has nearly 100bhp more. Although "more than the impreza" isn't hard

Loving the interior too which is a mix of leather and alcantara.

Comment

I've driven one of those. You'll love it when it arrives. Been eyeing up the new Forester myself but really have my heart set on the BRZ. The problem with that is the missus. Not enough room for a "family car" you see.

Comment

You got her to give in then Charles, was that the car you showed me the link of the other night?

Sold my RS4 yesterday. Going the two car route as i'm going to be doing a lot of miles for work now that i'm leaving London, and only having a 4.2L V8 probably wasn't a great idea. So for the sensible stuff I've just put a deposit on a Saab estate this morning, and now i'm on the hunt for the fun weekend toy..........

Comment

You want something classic and not eurowuss. I reckon a stripped out track day imp or something

Comment

I think I'll be going the Elise/Exige route for the weekend toy Van.

Comment

Exige is a beautiful car. Do it.

I think I showed you a Forrester STi, so no, this is a bit different. She saw this and said "I must have that right now"

Comment

Looking to replace my car next year and can't decide between -

Alfa 147

Or

Toyota Celica

Two very different cars in many ways but I really like them both and keep changing my mind as to which one I want. Any owners of either on here to offer some advice?

Comment

What model Celica are you going for? I was thinking of getting one for a while (and very nearly did buy one) but Nakamura on here warned me about an oil problem they can get on any of the pre-facelift models. I can't remember the specifics but it's a good idea to get on a Celica forum as they have a sticky thread up about it
                  There are some lovely Celica's about so it's good to hunt around for a bargain! Try and find the sports/premium package if you can.

Edit - Just did some research to jog my memory. Yeah I was looking at the VVTi Celica, the 190 is fine and the 140 is the oil burner if it's pre 2003.
                  Last edited by Fader209; 04-05-2013, 20:41. Reason: update

Comment

If I remember right the higher spec Toyota engine the 190 is still made in Japan where as the dodgy engines were made over here. I'd go for the 147 myself

Comment

Any of you guys running aftermarket suspension on your car? I'm looking to improve the setup on my vRS and was considering Koni FSDs which aren't available for my motor at present. Top of my list now is Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach springs. I don't really want to lower the car but might try it anyway. I think the standard springs might not work too well with the new shocks.

Comment

If you do lower it remember that when driving. I used to have my Impreza lower but it was right pain in the arse in the area where I drive. The front bumper was ruined by it scraping the floor all the time. I drive in quite hilly areas with a mountain track driving here and there. My car is pretty high up now. It may not look as cool but at least I can drive were I need to without worry and the replacement bumper can be scrape free
                        Last edited by Yakumo; 05-05-2013, 14:58.

Comment

The standard ride height of the vRS is pretty high. A 30mm drop may be doable. Loads of speed bumps and poorly surfaced roads around here though.
                          My reason for tinkering with the suspension is to improve the ride more than the aesthetics.

Comment

I'm running Bilsteins on the MG, I stuck with the same ride height but they are a lot stiffer. Still not bedded in really.

Comment

What is wrong with the ride? I'm wondering if you actually need stiffer anti-roll bars (front or back or both). They are a much cheaper way to improve the feel in corners, making the steering much more responsive, but needs to be chosen carefully to ensure you don't upset the fore/aft grip balance. A switch to coilovers may actually make the ride worse on poorly surfaced roads, but a shock upgrade (like bilsteins) might improve things.

Comment

The car is pretty crashy over poorly surfaced roads especially when there is a lot of imperfections hitting the suspension sequentially. And larger holes make it feels like the suspension is running out of travel.
                                My thinking is that uprated dampers would take the load a bit better and prevent some of the seemingly excessive movement.
                                I would avoid coilovers as that's really for track work and my goal is to improve the ride more so than the handling.

VP which model of Bilsteins do you have on the MG?

Comment

Working...
                                X