No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can download offline data for google maps now. I bought a dedicated sat across app that has included map data for when we go away

Comment

I broke and took the Evora 400 on a test drive after all (what's willpower?). In a word, epic. Huge step up from my 2011 Evora S in build quality and performance. Time to get the man maths calculator out I fear.

Comment

Comment

Haha, I love that gif!

Well I bottled it on the TVR deposit and cancelled, and Lotus are the only company making proper sports cars I'm interested in right now, so we'll see.

Comment

Where's the running in report Charles? Poor show!

Comment

How odd. I just sat down to write something.

Before purchasing, I checked out some reviews that said "gearbox is really farm machinery" and "the suspension is daftly firm".

Compared to the RA gearbox in my Impreza, this new gearbox is a total dream of little snicks. God knows what other amazing gearboxes they have been using - obviously my point of reference is way off (by 15 years).

The suspension is firm, but not nearly as hard as I expected from the reviews. It's not crashy. It's only noticeable on very poor roads.

Anyway, OMG IT'S JOYEOUS TO DRIVE. The steering is a little heavier than I'm used to but, but didn't take long to adjust. There's a mini roundabout nearby that I can do at 30mph in my Impreza with a little tyre squeak. I chucked the STi into it at 30 and wasn't anywhere near the edge of grip. It felt like it could have done it at 40mph, but that's just insane and I'm not trying it (yet).

On the dual carriageway, it's quiet(ish) with just under 3000rpm in 6th at 70. Can have a telephone conversation on the built in stuff no problem.

Round the backroads it's super smooth from turn-in to exit - it's so ridiculously neutral at the sort of speeds I'm attempting. Gone is the traditional Subaru understeer that I had to dial out in my old one. Just point it where you want to go and it will go there. So far I've only tried it in automatic modes for centre differential and throttle response, but not much point playing with those until the running in is done.

Doing 1000 miles of running in (even though was told don't need to), so haven't gone to the redline yet, but the way it boosts from 3k to 4k is pretty exciting. It's 1509kg, which is 200+kg more than mine, but the extra 80bhp / torque is obvious already.

Cannot wait to give it some beans!!!! But so far so good. Loads of room in the back. Loads of room in the boot. Totally useless touchscreen app Starlink thingymajig. However, it does have a built in boost gauge Looks like it's going to get 310 from a tank while driving like a taxi, which is about oh... 70 more than mine (stupid RA gearbox).

Lucy is pleased because everyone double takes when the see a girl driving it.

The brakes. The brakes are the thing that I notice the most. They are huge Brembo things, but wow. Emergency stop by accident the first time. Also aided by the increased chassis stiffness and slightly bigger tyres. But yeah, totally mental. This thing is track ready.

Comment

All sounds very promising Charles for when you can properly give it a push.

I am on absolutely full power car search mode now.

Comment

The RA is mental. Drove my mates one once. 400 ps on an RA box, it absolutely flew.

Comment

400 in an RA? lol. Cool.

Comment

Work took us to Berlin and we got to park around in a bunch of S-Class Mercedes on an airfield. Properly amazing cars. I never had any interest in ever owning a Merc, but they really were awesome.

Comment

When you said park did you mean play? Because, well... You know...

A couple of my friends have that E63S and say it's the best car they've ever had.

Comment

Yes. There was very little parking, lots of skidding and braking

Comment

That sounds more fun

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              400 in an RA? lol. Cool.
                              Yep it was madness. Did about 120 mph top end but damn it got there fast. It was quite a frightening car in truth!

Comment

Haggling over a car with a dealership now, hopefully be back in a Lotus again soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X