No announcement yet.

Best way of leaning Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me find out the name of my friends school, she's a legit teacher.

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

My company has offered to pay for online lessons at least.

I'll see what's available but I think they probably won't go beyond Y30,000, or maybe less. Coco Juku's courses weigh in at around Y100,000(40 lessons, around twice a week, 4-5 month course).

Town hall freebie lessons are a bit too early but I was told it's fine to leave early on those days as well.

Comment

Can a mod or Ghost edit the thread title please, the typo is doing my OCD right in.

Comment

Isn't obvious? Get a hot Japanese wife (or mistress) and get them to teach you? Sorry, did I think that out loud?

Comment

I just watch a lot of anime. So far I know all the important stuff for getting by day to day, like how to say 'Tuxedo Mask'.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
                Can a mod or Ghost edit the thread title please, the typo is doing my OCD right in.
                Ha! I hadn't noticed that!

"Best way of leaning Japanese?"

[hide][/hide]

Comment

^^ wtf! why's the file name 'young man leans against the wall'?

Looks mostly like a woman to me...

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                    Isn't obvious? Get a hot Japanese wife (or mistress) and get them to teach you? Sorry, did I think that out loud?
                    One of my roommates when I first moved to Japan was doing a language exchange. Turned into a fluid exchange pretty quickly.

Comment

Probably not too helpful, since my Japanese is rubbish anyway, but after getting bored of trying to learn from Minna no Nihongo and not learning for a long time I recently started practice reading using the Tentoumushi comics. They publish a lot of game (especially Nintendo) manga like Super Mario Kun, Kirby, Pokemon, etc...

It's aimed at elementary school level, so the language used isn't too difficult and there's furigana so found it helpful for trying to remember kanji. Usually sit down with a dictionary while reading lol. 

Usually can find a decent amount of them in Book Off in the 108Yen section, so it's cheap to try at least.

Comment

That's great advice(why not learn from something that interests you? I did that in the early days - Japanese dramas and Mixi, mostly) if you're at the stage where you can learn by example like that. My gf has all the One Piece books and I might try reading them.

I'm using the same approach but with company materials. I also asked my manager to arrange for each department(customer service, accounting, production, etc) to train me a bit as though I was a new addition to their team. That way I learn vocab and terms they'll use often but away from the pressure of an actual IT situation.

I'm finding I can learn kanjis pretty quickly. I am kicking myself for not starting sooner but I'm usually tired after work. This week I really knuckled down with JBP2 and my N4 textbook, and my gf is getting involved as well.

Yesterday I signed up for a Japanese class in Ikebukuro every week, which I'll start next month. They run beginner, intermediate, advanced and JLPT prep classes which should be good. I'm hoping that, being Tokyo, the classes will be bigger than the one in Saitama.

Comment

I only went for a holiday, but I found the Instant Japanese books like this have a bunch of stickers that you can attach to things so you learn words of things around your house. Door, window, television, vibrator, chair.

Short bursts on your commute or when you first get home might be a useful way to keep adding to your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
                            Like this one, thought it was about a cookery show;
                            Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

I thought Master Chef was deliberate.

I downloaded the leaked French Halo 2 way back when and they call him Chef in that, too. Stuff like"Chef! Je m'appelle Arbiterre"

Always made me giggle

@QC: cheers! I was considering the stickers idea. It's a great approach, I think. I can make my own and have fun with them, like labelling condoms(although they aren't written in kanji) and silly things like that...

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I thought Master Chef was deliberate.
                                Yes it is!

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I was considering the stickers idea.

I can make my own and have fun with them, like labelling condoms
                                Remember not to staple the labels on!

Comment

Working...
                                X